no water when opening the tap (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Typical as we are going away tomorrow, I filled the water system up, switched the water system on and presto no water, pump not running.
Motorhome is an Autotrail Araphaho 2008, Ok checks already done, all fuses ok, Pump runs when I put 12v straight to pump terminals.
Plugs ok at the Sargent psu unit.
All other 12v systems are working fine.
My meter doesn`t show 12v from the wires to the pump, so any ideas were the fault could be gratefully excepted.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Feed wire disconnected between supply and pump? Broken wire ditto? Dirty spade connector ditto?

I'm presuming that the pump kicks in when there is a pressure drop, rather than like mine, when a microswitch in the tap makes contact.

Whats the betting the fault is behind a panel that has half the habitation equipment secured to it. :Doh:

Good luck anyway.

John

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
it sounds like the wishbone pressure censor could be sticking which means that you will have to remove the pump head and clean it up. If that doesn't solve it then a new pump will need to be fitted which is a straight forward procedure and will cost about £40. Make sure that you swop like for like as there are different pressure settings. The correct pressure will be on the box. Have you checked that there isn't a plug of ice stuck in the filter? The motor will run but won't pump water.
These pumps aren't as good as they used to be, I've changed four myself and always carry a spare one in the motorhome and have a spare one in my garage,
Good Luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Feed wire disconnected between supply and pump? Broken wire ditto? Dirty spade connector ditto?

I'm presuming that the pump kicks in when there is a pressure drop, rather than like mine, when a microswitch in the tap makes contact.

Whats the betting the fault is behind a panel that has half the habitation equipment secured to it. :Doh:

Good luck anyway.

John

Hi John thanks for the quick reply, haven`t had any joy when opening any of the taps,
As the wires disappear through a hole in the floor plus I only found the fault and hour ago I haven`t had chance to trace the wire run, so don`t have any idea on were any connections might be. Grrrr.

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
it sounds like the wishbone pressure censor could be sticking which means that you will have to remove the pump head and clean it up. If that doesn't solve it then a new pump will need to be fitted which is a straight forward procedure and will cost about £40. Make sure that you swop like for like as there are different pressure settings. The correct pressure will be on the box. Have you checked that there isn't a plug of ice stuck in the filter? The motor will run but won't pump water.
These pumps aren't as good as they used to be, I've changed four myself and always carry a spare one in the motorhome and have a spare one in my garage,
Good Luck.

I connected a battery charger to the pump and the pump runs fine, water from the taps flow excellent, so nothing wrong with the pump.
My thoughts are towards a pressure sensor but I don`t know the inner workings, as I guess if the pressure drops in the system then the pump runs, have to say the pump didn`t pressure the system up I turned the system on.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just an after thought, some time ago Auto-Trail took delivery of a batch of water tanks from an outside supplier wich had a modified uptake pipe fitted. Not longer after fitting some of them became detached in the tank and floated to the surface so the water couldn't be pumped through the taps. It meant that the tank had to be dropped to access the pipe to repair it. If you were unfortunate to be on holiday or abroad then it was very inconvenient. It happened to me so I returned to the factory at Grimsby where they removed the tank and replaced it. the experience ruined our holiday, even though I still think that Auto-Trail are one of the better ones in the market place with a good owners service centre and second to none spares availability to anyone which isn't exclusive to dealers like some manufacturers are.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
no water when opening the taps

the title has thrown me as it says "no water when opening the taps". We have now established that you have water coming through the taps but only by connecting direct current. You will need to take the head off the pump to access the pressure censor which looks like a chicken wishbone on a rocker assembly. It might be just a speck of dirt or hardened grease that is causing the switch to mall function.

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Sorry if the title mislead you but there actually isn`t any water at the taps when operated thtough the normal procedure.
It was only through a systematic check that I found the pump was actually working also the pump does shut off when the system has reached pressure so I I am now thinking that I don`t have a live feed to the pump, I have checked the earth wire for continunity and that is fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back