Free Member
Feb 8, 2013
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 100
Exp
just a year
We are going to venture into Europe with a motorhome for the first time, along with 2 mongrels . We have the DEFRA passports for them but, is there any other treatment I should be aware of? I realise that we are going to be ripped off by French vets on our way back. We have been told that there is some other preventative treaments we should be aware of like 'sandfly', or something, in France. Has anyone any advice please? Or are we worrying too much and taking too much notice of money grabbing UK vets.:helpsos:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we take our Cocker Spaniel with us every year and have not yet bothered about sand flies. i would ensure tick treatment is upto date and get a tick removal tool ( about £3 for 2 ) maybee consider taking a tick spray which we carry , or even a tick collar depending if you going walking in the woods often.
other than that we just ensure his vaccinations are upto date.

we also carry a simple "Dog First aid kit" made up by me. a few normal treatment bits and pieces as described above plus some worming tablets, iodene and a few small bandages and nail clipper, flea comb etc. :thumb:

if you are going into Austria read up on TBE ( tick borne encephalitis )

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We are going to venture into Europe with a motorhome for the first time, along with 2 mongrels . We have the DEFRA passports for them but, is there any other treatment I should be aware of? I realise that we are going to be ripped off by French vets on our way back. We have been told that there is some other preventative treaments we should be aware of like 'sandfly', or something, in France. Has anyone any advice please? Or are we worrying too much and taking too much notice of money grabbing UK vets.:helpsos:

Dave/Val.....all very simple and nothing to worry about...vets are vets meaning they all charge a different price...some charge very little could be around 25 euros some may charge up to 48 euros but they may give the dog a full examination...there is a funster Roryboys dad :thumb:eek:n here that has produced a download in the download section with most of the vets in France / Spain which include prices and address and coordinations...... and he keeps it updated by requesting information from other funsters.

Here is a link for Defra..,because it changed last year, which will have made it cheaper at the vets as there is now less to have done.:thumb: your Rabies injections must be upto date and never let it run out by even one day, and always make sure the vet has filled in and stamped, and signed, the pet passport...before you leave the vets.....
To many have got to the ferries and been turned away because the vet has not completed the passport...only to end going to another vets in Calais and paying again to get home.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Our Cocker Spaniel is always fitted with a Scalibor collar a week before we leave and only removed at least a week after we get back. Never had a problem since the pet passport scheme started and we spend about 4 months a year in Spain and France.

Mike

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Dave and Val - We are going to venture into Europe with a motorhome for the first time, along with 2 mongrels.

How far are you going into Europe?

The further you are from a Ferry when you have a Vet complete the Pet Passport proceedure the cheaper it should be.

With the 5 day rule you can be virtually anywhere in Europe and still get back to the Ferries in time.

The cheapest we've seen so far is €6 for a dog in Belgium - see if you can beat that!

:france::france::france:

OP
OP
D

Dave and Val

Free Member
Feb 8, 2013
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 100
Exp
just a year
Dave and Val - We are going to venture into Europe with a motorhome for the first time, along with 2 mongrels.

How far are you going into Europe?

The further you are from a Ferry when you have a Vet complete the Pet Passport proceedure the cheaper it should be.

With the 5 day rule you can be virtually anywhere in Europe and still get back to the Ferries in time.

The cheapest we've seen so far is €6 for a dog in Belgium - see if you can beat that!

Hello.

We are going as far a Cadiz with two dogs, just taking our time there and back. I will certainly let you know which vets we use. I have downloaded your vets download, magic it is. Is there an icon with a spanish flag anywhere? Where is the €6 one without looking through your list?

Dave and Val.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
we take our Cocker Spaniel with us every year and have not yet bothered about[HI] sand flies[/HI]. i would ensure tick treatment is upto date and get a tick removal tool ( about £3 for 2 ) maybee consider taking a tick spray which we carry , or even a tick collar depending if you going walking in the woods often.
other than that we just ensure his vaccinations are upto date.

we also carry a simple "Dog First aid kit" made up by me. a few normal treatment bits and pieces as described above plus some worming tablets, iodene and a few small bandages and nail clipper, flea comb etc. :thumb:

if you are going into Austria read up on TBE ( tick borne encephalitis )

You should be bothered about sand flies, if your pet is bit by an infected fly you might not know and it can cause an early demise of your pet and for your pet it would be painful and it is something you would not know of untill it was much too late to save your pet. I suggest you read the link

Broken Link Removed

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Very interesting post !!

This September myself and Sunnyside are venturing into France (hopefully) with her dog Pebbles ! Travelling in France is new to Jeannie and travelling in France with a dog is new to me !!
So. all this is good information !
I am particularly interested in the download of Vets by "Rorysdad" as I am computer illiterate, so, could someone please point me in the right direction to glean this information !:thanks2:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
You should be bothered about sand flies, if your pet is bit by an infected fly you might not know and it can cause an early demise of your pet and for your pet it would be painful and it is something you would not know of untill it was much too late to save your pet. I suggest you read the link

Broken Link Removed

Thanks for the above. Having read about how the sand flies can infest a dog I will ensure I get a Scalibor ProtectorbandTM as this year I intend to travel further South than last year.
Come to think of it, he's better protected than me, if we both get bitten by a rabid dog he'll shrug his shoulders and have a quite word in their ear and I could die!

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
:Smile:We regularly take our dog to europe and it is very easy. sandfles are a danger, other ticks such as sheep ticks are easy to treat, just take a bottle of nail varnish, once you find the tick, put the varnish over the back of the tick and it will start to come out, then give it a sharp tug, this normally works. Re vets, the required treatments has been reduced, also you the treatment can be up to five days prior to coming back to the UK, this makes it easier to find a vet away from the ports, and they are often cheaper. DEFRA site has upto date info.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The other main thing to watch out for is Processional Caterpillars not only as far as your best friend is concerned but you also, if you go over to europe early in the year or are over wintering

Link Removed

OP
OP
D

Dave and Val

Free Member
Feb 8, 2013
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 100
Exp
just a year
This September myself and Sunnyside are venturing into France (hopefully) with her dog Pebbles ! Travelling in France is new to Jeannie and travelling in France with a dog is new to me !!
So. all this is good information !
I am particularly interested in the download of Vets by "Rorysdad" as I am computer illiterate, so, could someone please point me in the right direction to glean this information !:thanks2:
I'm not that good and I am a new member and I am suprised no one has been back to you, but I'll tell you what I did.
Go to Search+ at the top and I typed in Roryboys Dad and click on New Files added and then click on Vets In Europe and it brings up a Download. I bet there is a quicker way but that how I did it.

Dave and Val :thumb:

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
Pet Insurance, was a bit of a pain in the bum for us. Tesco wouldn't add European cover half way through said we should have told them at renewal !! Took out new insurance policy with a different company.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
bit off thread

Don't forget to calculate how much of your doggies favourite food is required as you may not be able to get the one they like here in Spain.
We are at Javea, South of Valencia and running short of Science Diet for out dog. I dare say he will convert to whats avail but worth remembering

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Here is the latest updated Google Map of European Vets - Broken Link Removed

Any new Vets with the latest prices and any other updated information appreciated.

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Tesco Pet

That's correct with Tesco Pet and you will find much the same with other Pet Insurance. Insurers give the larger discounts to new policy holders and so it is always a good idea to shop around as premiums only go up and not down with the same insurer. Most will not make midterm amendments to cover unlike with home and motor insurance. One thing to think about before changing insurers is your claims history. If you have a new insurer any existing condition will be excluded from your policy so staying with your existing insurer is your only option when your pet has a condition you need long term treatment for. Although you can save quite a bit by chopping and changing beware who you end up with as you may get locked into a poor policy if you have to claim. Beware too of the cheap covers offered by online insurers. You can make some great savings but just wait 'till you want to claim, particularly if it is a big one over £1000. Many of these companies will not pay the vet directly leaving you to pay the bill and hoping to claim it back. Good idea is to check with the vet first and see if there are any companies that will settle with them directly. That way you only need to pay the excess!

denpar

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki
Exp
4 years
Fecamp vet

Here is the latest updated Google Map of European Vets - Broken Link Removed

Any new Vets with the latest prices and any other updated information appreciated.

We used Kretz Hugues
21 rue Inondation
76400 Fécampin February 2013 cost 16 euros for one dog, this is the cheapest we have used so far

denpar

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki
Exp
4 years
Pet Insurance, was a bit of a pain in the bum for us. Tesco wouldn't add European cover half way through said we should have told them at renewal !! Took out new insurance policy with a different company.
Also ensure that your dog is covered for the quantity of trips abroad in any one year, we are with direct line and they will only cover for 3 trips in any one year maximum 30 days, I had to argue with them last year to get our Alfie covered for the fourth trip, they did relent in the end as I had specifically asked about foreign cover when I took out the policy and they had not stipulated the quantity of trips at that time. As with most insurance companies they will try and get out of anything, luckily we didn't need to claim but needed the peace of mind it gave whilst travelling.

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Getting a quote

Always good to prepare your questions before you ring for a quote. Especially if you go for several in one day as the feeling of déjà vu soon overtakes you. Make sure you ask each company for answers to your questions and note down what that say. Often due to high turn over of staff in call centres you could end up talking to someone who knows less than your pet! All calls are recorded and if something is said that proves to be untrue if you claim or they give you the wrong information like Den and Brian had then you can request that the call is listened to. If they have misinformed you they are obliged to honour what was said and most reputable insurers will. However this will not work once you have renewed for a second year as you will have accepted the renewal based on their terms and conditions, so any previous misinformation will no longer count. Worth remembering regardless of the the type of insurance you take whether it be home, motor or travel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back