Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Hi everyone
slideout knowledge needed please please please:thumb::thumb:
Slideout came in half way last week :Doh:- checked what we know! and did manual rewind - short move on site but when in position tried slide and it came out !:Eeek:
Ok ignore for moment as we have to move again in a week.
So today Nope slide did not come in - engine battery dead - leisure fine (on hook up).
Yep manual rewind - phew - LOL:Doh:
Can start RV with switch to pull in leisure battery:thumb:
Moved and yeh slide came out again.:thumb:
Oh and step playing up as well.:whatthe:

So questions

Is slide and step powered by engine battery?
Only short move so would not have thought engine battery charged enough to sort.
If it is engine battery problem will sorce trickle feed from leisure to engine to keep it charged after we get battery checked.

Come on guys know you will know:thumb::thumb: - we dont:Eeek: - no background to give us a hint.

Any help appreciated - thanks
Jaen and Colin x

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can't advise on the slideout but if your engine battery has gone flat and you have left it flat for any length of time it will be massively reduced in capacity. It is probably worth looking at replacing this first.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Not sure how your slide works, but if you ask this question on the sister site RVOC someone there will have the answer.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Again no real knowledge but try using the slide with engine running so you are not pulling from starter battery as the engine will be topping up the battery
Terry

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Again no real knowledge but try using the slide with engine running so you are not pulling from starter battery as the engine will be topping up the battery
Terry

A lot of slides "Wont" work with the engine running, Terry...

In built safety factor, so you cannot drive off with the slide out... Some wont let you put the slide in or out with the engine running.. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
both my slide and jacks are hydraulic and power comes from the engine battery.

ignition switch must be on accessory position or full ign to operate...engine running or not.

short hops wont put enough back in your battery to run the hydraulic pumps motor or electric motors (if electric slide)

if you"re on hookup connect a thickish wire between engine battery pos terminal and house battery pos terminal....preferably with a 25/30amp fuse.
that will allow your charger to charge the engine battery as well but will need disconnecting before you start the engine or the fuse will blow

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I never had a slide on any of my RVs, but the electric steps were always worked by the chassis batteries. Must admit I thought it a daft idea as the step used to operate automatically when the door was opened or closed which must have been a hell of a drain on the batteries.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
(Quote Pappajohn)both my slide and jacks are hydraulic and power comes from the engine battery.
........................................................................................................................

Strange how they all differ...

My Legs/jacks are hydraulic and have a sign on the panel, "Engine "Must" be running before operating Legs/Jacks..

But my slide (I assume) is Electric "Wont" work with the engine running in or out...

OP
OP
C
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Battery

Hi everyone - brilliant -many thanks for help - will digest.:Eeek:

Starting with looking like engine battery so will get that checked and then go from there.:thumb::thumb:

So appreciate all your help - :thumb::thumb:

Cheers xx ::bigsmile:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Both the slide and the step run from the engine battery. So if battery is going flat then you need one of Eddie Van Biz's gizmo's to transfer charge from the leisure batteries when full. Similar gadgets are sold on Fleabay. Most will allow you to retract slides & jacks with the engine running.

Starting the engine using the switch which is often there to allow the leisure batteries to help will bring the step in by default, or should. Also PJ's bit of wire will work as a temporary fix for now. ::bigsmile:

Also, as already mentioned, the sister RVOC site is the place to ask RV related questions. They are a mine of cr*p and usless RV type information.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Both the slide and the step run from the engine battery. So if battery is going flat then you need one of Eddie Van Biz's gizmo's to transfer charge from the leisure batteries when full. Similar gadgets are sold on Fleabay. Most will allow you to retract slides & jacks with the engine running.

Starting the engine using the switch which is often there to allow the leisure batteries to help will bring the step in by default, or should. Also PJ's bit of wire will work as a temporary fix for now. ::bigsmile:

Also, as already mentioned, the sister RVOC site is the place to ask RV related questions. They are a mine of cr*p and usless RV type information.

indeed Mike, forgot to say it should be temporary. :Doh:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi everyone
slideout knowledge needed please please please:thumb::thumb:
Slideout came in half way last week :Doh:- checked what we know! and did manual rewind - short move on site but when in position tried slide and it came out !:Eeek:
Ok ignore for moment as we have to move again in a week.
So today Nope slide did not come in - engine battery dead - leisure fine (on hook up).
Yep manual rewind - phew - LOL:Doh:
Can start RV with switch to pull in leisure battery:thumb:
Moved and yeh slide came out again.:thumb:
Oh and step playing up as well.:whatthe:

So questions

Is slide and step powered by engine battery?
Only short move so would not have thought engine battery charged enough to sort.
If it is engine battery problem will sorce trickle feed from leisure to engine to keep it charged after we get battery checked.

Come on guys know you will know:thumb::thumb: - we dont:Eeek: - no background to give us a hint.

Any help appreciated - thanks
Jaen and Colin x

It would seem that the slide and step are dependent on the engine battery.

If you want a Battery Master Jim has a couple he is auctioning for Comic Relief so save a few quid that way?:thumb:

Cheers

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back