Bessacarr Spare Wheel Carrier (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2011
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E480
Exp
Since 2012
I have a 1 year old Bessacarr E480 based on Fiat Ducato maxi chassis. The spare wheel is located in the garage which takes up space and is not good for weight distribution.
I am thinking of getting a chassis mounted carrier and putting the spare underneath the van.
Has anyone done this?
I have not yet had a crawl around underneath to check there is sufficient space but thats the next step!:thumb:

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
Interested

Interested to see your outcome.
I have a Bessacarr with spare wheel mounted below, but a friend recently purchased a MH and had no spare wheel, so he has purchased a wheel, and is considering the same question.

Please keep us updated o your progress

Thanks

Kev

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I have a 1 year old Bessacarr E480 based on Fiat Ducato maxi chassis. The spare wheel is located in the garage which takes up space and is not good for weight distribution.
I am thinking of getting a chassis mounted carrier and putting the spare underneath the van.
Has anyone done this?
I have not yet had a crawl around underneath to check there is sufficient space but thats the next step!:thumb:

Best people to ask are the makers, ask the question on Swifts site

Link Removed

Good luck. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
spare wheel

Hi
In my opinion i would leave it where it is dry clean and protected who wants to be crawling under vans in the wet and it wont get nicked Thanks Bernie:thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
What was/is it?? :Smile:
It is a post on the Fa**s site or the dark side. Strange I am barred yet was able to suss out the link. (Not that hard realy) no I do not use another user name :Doh:

:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
OK! Try this !
It's the Thule bike carrier. It will take up to 60KG. The carrier itself weigh's 15KG and the wheel 26.2 KG.

Attachments

• P1080204.jpg
    P1080204.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 44

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Agreed with Bernie.:Smile:
I bought my new van last year and it came without a spare wheel...:Sad:
Having lashed out on a brand new shiny wheel, new tyre plus jack they're all going to stay that way...::bigsmile:
Plenty of room in the garage anyhow...:thumb:

OP
OP
Bessi
Oct 30, 2011
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E480
Exp
Since 2012
Replying to myself - must be a sign of old age...

Now the snow has melted I have had a look under the van and lo and behold there is a spare wheel carrier already fitted in the middle of the chassis just behind the back axel.:Smile:
The waste water tank also has a semi circular cut out to allow sufficient space for the spare wheel.::bigsmile:
Why did they put the carrier on and design the tank thus but then not use it I asked myself:whatthe:
So I tried to put the spare into the carrier - and doh! there is not enough ground clearance under the chassis/waste tank to slide the wheel in (or out):Eeek:
Obviously a bit of a design cock up which Swift probably only realised when they tried to get a spare wheel out once the van was standing on the ground. Would be interesting to hear what was said then!
I think you could use the carrier if you were happy to jack the van up an extra 3 or 4 inches to get the clearance but having looked at the scissor jack supplied I dont fancy this as these jacks become less stable the higher you raise them.
Think I will leave the spare in the garage for now.....

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Has anyone done this?

have a look at this: Link Removed ksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Jun 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E460
Exp
since 2011
Has anyone done this?
Have an E460 and Looking at options of where to put a spare wheel. On the outside of the rear wall of the van with spacers to put the bike rack behind it or Turning the waste tank around so scalloped side is facing the rear and gives enough room for the spare behind it and underneath the van. Means a bit of re-plumbing and a new cage to hold the waste tank and cage for the spare. What have other people done?

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Replying to myself - must be a sign of old age...

Now the snow has melted I have had a look under the van and lo and behold there is a spare wheel carrier already fitted in the middle of the chassis just behind the back axel.:Smile:
The waste water tank also has a semi circular cut out to allow sufficient space for the spare wheel.::bigsmile:
Why did they put the carrier on and design the tank thus but then not use it I asked myself:whatthe:
So I tried to put the spare into the carrier - and doh! there is not enough ground clearance under the chassis/waste tank to slide the wheel in (or out):Eeek:
Obviously a bit of a design cock up which Swift probably only realised when they tried to get a spare wheel out once the van was standing on the ground. Would be interesting to hear what was said then!
I think you could use the carrier if you were happy to jack the van up an extra 3 or 4 inches to get the clearance but having looked at the scissor jack supplied I dont fancy this as these jacks become less stable the higher you raise them.
Think I will leave the spare in the garage for now.....

Jun 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E460
Exp
since 2011
Made my own with Elecricians uni strut and a fiat spare wheel carrier bolted to it.
Thanks, was looking at a 'Monsta' bracket but unistrut a good idea for inside the van to spread the load when bolting through.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Currently another thread about spare wheel carriers, you may have noticed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!