Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have been MH owners now for 4 years and tow a motorbike on a trailer. We are considering adding a small car to the fold but have had some conflicting advice regarding trailer or A frame. Last summer we were informed that Germany and Spain had now outlawed the A frame and in Germany a 500 Euro fine is issued.

Can any of you expierenced european travellers enlighten us on the legal position

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Spain is a cheaper fine, about 80 euros...:winky:

And you have to disconect there and then... :Sad:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Have a search using the search feature, top left of page, next to New Posts.
Just type in"A frames" and you will find loads of info and opinions.

There will be some comments on this topic heading your way very shortly, as this is a "popular" subject.

I don't have an A frame, so I am not going to comment.
Plenty will, I'm sure. ::bigsmile:

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Spain is a cheaper fine, about 80 euros...:winky:

And you have to disconect there and then... :Sad:

the fine is €60 discounted to €42 because you have to pay there and then (guardia civil trafico have card machines in their cars) i use a trailer for spain and a-frame everywhere else , never been stopped in germany with a-frame (yet) cheers sean

Last edited:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
We tow a trailer with a motorbike on it - 1200GS ADv - so quiet a big bike and comfy etc. However it is limiting as it always seems to be chucking it down and whilst I don't mind too much going out in the my wife is nat that keen at all. The bike quite often sits on the trailer all weekend.

We have just bought a Smart ForTwo cabrio and a new Smart Tow 10 foot trailer for it to go on.

Why a Smart - its light and you can put the roof down:thumb:

10 foot trailer is a little too big but it gives you flexibility to get a bigger car if needed (Fiat 500)

Why not an A frame - its is probably easier but the potential for fines etc put me off as did the fact that you reliant a braking system which seems a bit crude IMHO

An A frame is a pain to reverse despite what you read but similarly a trailer is pain to store on site.

On balance the trailer just suited my needs a bit better so went in that direction.

Rgds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
the fine is €60 discounted to €42 because you have to pay there and then (guardia civil trafico have card machines in their cars) i use a trailer for spain and a-frame everywhere else , never been stopped in germany with a-frame (yet) cheers sean

A friend of ours has just come back..

Tag Axle and nissan Micra, and got pulled near Barcelona...

80 euro fine, and he asked for a receipt and got one....

Can only speak as I`m told...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All joking apart, am now in Benidorm and there are many Europeans with Aframes on site. An old Belgian friend with an RV and Opel Aframed towcar I was talking to yesterday said he has not heard of the Spanish ban on Aframes and was shocked when I told him of the fines. Just maybe its only the Brits they are stopping and fining. I personally Aframed for several years without any problems, but I can now do without the hastle so have started to use a trailer. I have a Joyner buggy which although the next best thing to useless in the UK weather is worth its weight in gold in Spain.

Attachments

• Joyner 650 Buggy 002.jpg
    Joyner 650 Buggy 002.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Buggy trailer 001.jpg
    Buggy trailer 001.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 31
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
A friend of ours has just come back..

Tag Axle and nissan Micra, and got pulled near Barcelona...

80 euro fine, and he asked for a receipt and got one....

Can only speak as I`m told...

i dont doubt you at all , the difference i suspect is that he was in catalunya and they dont have guardia civil trafico there . they have got the normal guardia civil and i think the mossos d'esquadra are their equivelent . wouldnt surprise me if there was a different fine in catalunya. there has been instances in the rest of spain where the fine demanded was €250 or even €500 . cheers sean

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I have a Joyner buggy which although the next best thing to useless in the UK weather is worth its weight in gold in Spain.

Love the buggy Snowbird, but I don't think SWMBO would ride around in it. Might mess up her hair :winky:
The trailer axle seems a long way back and would put a lot of weight on the towball. Is this on purpose due to most of the buggy weight being at the rear because of the engine position ?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread :Blush:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Love the buggy Snowbird, but I don't think SWMBO would ride around in it. Might mess up her hair :winky:
The trailer axle seems a long way back and would put a lot of weight on the towball. Is this on purpose due to most of the buggy weight being at the rear because of the engine position ?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread :Blush:

The trailer axle is way back just for that reason. All the buggy weight is at the rear. We are now known in Benidorm as Fred and Wilma Flintstone :ROFLMAO:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
trailers or a frame

Looking at in a different light, the hassle of towing., reversing, fines whilst abroad, the expense of having a tow bar fitted in the first case, etc etc.

Our option is to just hire a car when we get to our destination, suits us as you don`t require a car all the time and non of the above hassle.:thumb:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Looking at in a different light, the hassle of towing., reversing, fines whilst abroad, the expense of having a tow bar fitted in the first case, etc etc.

Our option is to just hire a car when we get to our destination, suits us as you don`t require a car all the time and non of the above hassle.:thumb:

I notice that you have an Auto-Trail Arapaho.
I have a Comanche and the max tow weight is only 1 tonne.
This severley restricts what you can have anyway. Even with a Smart car and lightweight trailer you are right on the mark.
That's why I like Snowbirds (Fred and Wilma :ROFLMAO:) idea with the buggy.
Our last MH was an Elddis and the trailer I bought for the bike is rated at 1.3t. I now have to have it downrated to 1t to be legal, or hope no one notices. It is a pupose made trailer by Richardson Rice, just outside of York.
As with Snowbirds buggy, the bike is great in the sunshine, but not a lot of fun in the cold and wet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back