Final Appeal before my money goes down the gurgled (1 Viewer)

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Aussie motorhome owner here again - just a few days till i have to fork over 1200 quid for my insurance with DownUnder. Posting just this last once in case ANYONE knows of a UK insurance company that will insure Aussies who don't have British License.
Cheers

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
not sure if they do but try comfort check their website
good luck

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Exchange licence

Not sure if this is possible but might be worth a shot:

As a 'designated country', Australian driving licence holders are allowed to exchange their licence for a UK one without the need for any test.

Full details can be found here: Exchanging your foreign driving licence : Directgov - Motoring

However, do note that it also states: "you must be normally resident in GB and have a permanent address here", and that you would have to surrender your Australian licence which would then be returned to the authorities there by the DVLA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
And heres me thinking it was just us Brits the insurance companies ripped off. Its obviously an international scam :Doh:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Go to DVLA and download this doc

INF38 Driving in Great Britain (GB) as a visitor or a new resident - PDF Document (628 Kb)
This leaflet explains the current rules affecting foreign driving licence holders who visit or come to live in Great Britain.

Link Removed
Countries we have agreements with for exchanging licences (designated countries)
You can exchange a valid driving licence from any of the following countries:
Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Could you put an additional driver, friend or family (British) on the policy.

It's amazing how that can change (reduce) the premiums.

Of course you would still be the main principal driver......:Smile:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Aussie motorhome owner here again - just a few days till i have to fork over 1200 quid for my insurance with DownUnder. Posting just this last once in case ANYONE knows of a UK insurance company that will insure Aussies who don't have British License.
Cheers

Would an International Driving Permit help ?, not expensive and available through various organisations including the AA,

:thumb::drink:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
An international driving licence is meaningless - its just your standard licence translated into different licences so it can be read by the authorities in different countries.

Have you tried Herts Insurance? They do a policy similar to Down Under: https://www.hertsinsurance.com/walkabout.php

Some blogger friends of ours had similar problems:
http://technomadics.net/2009/07/12/on-motorhome-insurance/

Australia has a reciprocal arrangement with the UK which means the process of obtaining a british licence is very simple. You just need to have a "permant address" in the UK (a friend or family member?).

This leaflet here should tell you everything you need to know:
www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/~/media/pdf/leaflets/INF38.ashx

Another link to a website here: https://www.gov.uk/exchange-a-foreign-driving-licence

After which you should be able to get a standard UK insurance policy, just declare that you have held your UK licence for "less than a year". Presumably your UK registered motorhome is registered at an address in the UK anyway.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
£1200 is extortionate...but sounds about right considering the circumstances.

No UK residence

No UK driving record

No UK driving licence

No NCB (no claim bonus)

so 100% premium.

most of us here will have 65% to 70% no claim discount bringing the premium down to around £300/£400.

it sucks really as when we visited my bro in law in Melbourne, and used his car, his insurers said 'No worries mate...as long as he has a full UK licence then he's already covered and no extra charge'

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back