Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
Hi Guys

We are planning a trip to Italy to celebrate our meeting in Sorrento 20 years ago, and have booked the Eurotunnel for the outbound crossing at 20.50 on 27th March and the return crossing for 4.20 on 13th April.

So what's the plan for in between these dates?
- Overnight in Aachen - 27th
- On to Rheinbollen truck stop for lunch and then Bellinzona Services for overnight 28th
- After breakfast on to Florence for overnight on 29th
- Then onto Cassino for 2 nights (30th and 31st) including a visit to the Monte Cassino Monastory
- Next onto Sorrento where we met and will visit a few old haunts.- but how long do we stay?
We could potentially stay here for 6 nights (1st - 7th April ) -
- We could move on the 7th when we head back up to Pisa for overnight on 7th
- Monaco on the 8th
- Millau on the 9th
- Oradour Sur Glane on the 10th
- Reims on 11th and
- Calais on the 12th ready for the early morning train home.
What do you think guys?
Would you do anything differently?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
sounds like you have a right foot like mine totally on the gas monaco to milau is at least a 10hour trip on non toll roads

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
sounds like you have a right foot like mine totally on the gas monaco to milau is at least a 10hour trip on non toll roads

About 4-5 hours on tolls I would think?

I haven't got a map in front of me but Millau sounds a bit out of the way if you are heading back to Calais. Can't the OP head North from Monaco?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Sounds more like a regimented battle plan than a holiday trip...:Eeek:

We are going over for 5 and 1/2 weeks in the summer,

3 ferries are booked, Dover - Dunkirk return at the start and end, and a ferry from Gijon to St Nazaire after approximately 4 weeks...

The ferries are confirmed, for the rest we will just follow the bonnet of the van and see where it leads.........:thumb::thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Shuggy68.

It is a long way out to Millau if you just want to see the bridge...
If it was me I would leave that bit out and do another time as there are lots of nice places around that area. It's much nicer to go under the bridge and through the town on the old road rather than just race across the top..

Another driving holiday... :ROFLMAO:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
About 4-5 hours on tolls I would think?

I haven't got a map in front of me but Millau sounds a bit out of the way if you are heading back to Calais. Can't the OP head North from Monaco?

102.19 GBP With a Diesel vehicle
Toll 40.32 GBP | Petrol 61.87 GBP

using tolls + the toll for millau bridge its a good way to go but only if you are stopping again on the way the schedule seems to hectic i think

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Shuggy68.

It is a long way out to Millau if you just want to see the bridge...

True but it is a logical stopover on the way to Oradour sur Glan the next day:thumb:

Then returning to Calais from Oradour via Rheims seems a long way round to me.

Have to agree the whole trip seems like an awful lot of driving to me. I would just concentrate on Italy and leave France for another time.

Lunarman

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
just go france belguim luxembourg (fuel stop) france again swiss (fuel stop) italy
i think thats the better way depending on what you wanna see and do

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

We are planning a trip to Italy to celebrate our meeting in Sorrento 20 years ago, and have booked the Eurotunnel for the outbound crossing at 20.50 on 27th March and the return crossing for 4.20 on 13th April.

So what's the plan for in between these dates?
- Overnight in Aachen - 27th
- On to Rheinbollen truck stop for lunch and then Bellinzona Services for overnight 28th
- After breakfast on to Florence for overnight on 29th
- Then onto Cassino for 2 nights (30th and 31st) including a visit to the Monte Cassino Monastory
- Next onto Sorrento where we met and will visit a few old haunts.- but how long do we stay?
We could potentially stay here for 6 nights (1st - 7th April ) -
- We could move on the 7th when we head back up to Pisa for overnight on 7th
- Monaco on the 8th
- Millau on the 9th
- Oradour Sur Glane on the 10th
- Reims on 11th and
- Calais on the 12th ready for the early morning train home.
What do you think guys?
Would you do anything differently?

Personally, I'd spend less time in Sorrento. I never spend more than 3 nights in a place, although I might make an exception in this case as it takes a few days to see Pompeii, Herculaneum and Capri. As for the total driving, it wouldn't bother me.

I'd also go out of the way to see the Millau viaduct.

If you're going to Aachen, I'd be tempted to see if the route out could go through Luxembourg, aiming to arrive on fumes.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
how much cheaper is the deisel in luxembourg ? i keeps seeing this recomendation but what is the actual saving

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
how much cheaper is the deisel in luxembourg ? i keeps seeing this recomendation but what is the actual saving

About £1.07 per litre (the price, not the saving). Not worth going massively out of the way for, but if you're in the vicinity, you might as well make sure you'll be near empty and take a slight diversion on your route, especially if you have massive tanks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
About £1.07 per litre (the price, not the saving). Not worth going massively out of the way for

We saw petrol at €1.80 a few times in France. We had to pay €1.55 a few times.

Very silly prices right now. They're not going to improve either.

OP
OP
S

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
italy

the driving dosent bother me the hole point of a motorhome is to motor i dont understand these ppl who have a mh and dont use it.a bit of acdc on the cd cruiseing at 60mph wife beside me great. yeah am going to do the lot you only live once.the next trip will be the atlantic road in norway planning that already. so sing with me chaps HIGH WAY TO HELL AM ON THE HIGH WAY TO HELLLLL.:ROFLMAO:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Looks like a good driving trip stopping at some great places.However I would be very wary of driving in and around Sorrento and especially would avoid going along the Amalfi coast.I spent a week driving around the area in a car and that was hairy enough! I think in motorhome it could be very challenging to say the least.:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'd just comment that re Oradour sur Glane, to get back to Calais we'd go via Rouen (round the edge of it, not through it!) kind of Limoges, Orleans, Chartres, Rouen, Abbeville, Calais (mostly mway and a lot of the way, toll free) and

Coming up the mway from S to N over the Viaduc de Milau - it's one HELLuva long hill ! and the scenery (IMHO) isn't half as breathtaking as the southward journey.

And say as well if you are going to OsG it seems a shame to not see some of the history that is Limoges. (Archbishop's Palace and all that jazz)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
would avoid going along the Amalfi coast.

Glorious road, as you say, it's frightening in a Corsa, but as far as I know there is a daytime ban on MHs on that road.

We once flew to Naples, hired a car to get us to Sorrento for a week. But once there we found public transport so good the car stayed at the hotel. 3 times in the first half hour I clipped wing mirrors. The choice, clip a wing mirror or kill a scooter.

One day was, bus to Sorrento, train to Pompeii, train to Naples, high speed ferry to Sorrento and bus back up the hills to the hotel. About €10 each. All in the hot October sun, grand.

It was, I think, easier in the MH, they show a MH a bit of respect. Only a bit mind.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Looks like a good driving trip stopping at some great places.However I would be very wary of driving in and around Sorrento and especially would avoid going along the Amalfi coast.I spent a week driving around the area in a car and that was hairy enough! I think in motorhome it could be very challenging to say the least.:thumb:

Pa! The buses get down that road easily enough! (Try not to look down the cliff in case it is full of burnt out vehicles...)

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
the driving dosent bother me the hole point of a motorhome is to motor i dont understand these ppl who have a mh and dont use it.a bit of acdc on the cd cruiseing at 60mph wife beside me great. yeah am going to do the lot you only live once.the next trip will be the atlantic road in norway planning that already. so sing with me chaps HIGH WAY TO HELL AM ON THE HIGH WAY TO HELLLLL.:ROFLMAO:

I don't disagree with this but for me a motorhome is freedom, wonderful! - But I would not have a schedule planned in anything like the detail this one is planned in. I prefer to go where I feel like going on the day. But each to his own.

I have been to Sorrento - as someone else said the amalfi road is no go for motor homes.

I have also done the Atlantic Road in Norway. It is worth seeing but - if, like us, you go right to the top and to Lofoten - there are roads that are much more dramatic!

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Glorious road, as you say, it's frightening in a Corsa, but as far as I know there is a daytime ban on MHs on that road.

We once flew to Naples, hired a car to get us to Sorrento for a week. But once there we found public transport so good the car stayed at the hotel. 3 times in the first half hour I clipped wing mirrors. The choice, clip a wing mirror or kill a scooter.

One day was, bus to Sorrento, train to Pompeii, train to Naples, high speed ferry to Sorrento and bus back up the hills to the hotel. About €10 each. All in the hot October sun, grand.

It was, I think, easier in the MH, they show a MH a bit of respect. Only a bit mind.

Mmmmmmm? ........ Kill the scooter !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards, Bryan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back