Do people really pay this much (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi
been looking at les's excellent downloads of France and Italy , but am astounded at the prices, if they are for one night, do people really pay £40 a night for camps in France when you can park up for nothing anywhere you want on aires and France Passion.
Not knocking anyone or anything , I just had never looked at campsites before because I thought they would be dear but this is right off my radar.
You could have bed and breakfast for that

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Height of summer in N spain and S of France some families are paying €90-€120 a night:Eeek:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
never taken MH abroad but I suppose it depends on what facilities you want and if say it is your first time you may want the security of a campsite at whatever cost
have seen some sites in the UK at £30+ per night

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
When we go to France 90% of the time we use aires, and if and when a campsite is required we only use municipal sites ( fair priced if a little basic)
Terry:sin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We used large expensive sites in Spain in August when the kids were teenagers and they were worth every penny as we hardly saw the kids 'cos they were well catered for day & night :thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
been looking at les's excellent downloads of France and Italy , but am astounded at the prices, if they are for one night, do people really pay £40 a night for camps in France when you can park up for nothing anywhere you want on aires and France Passion.
Not knocking anyone or anything , I just had never looked at campsites before because I thought they would be dear but this is right off my radar.
You could have bed and breakfast for that

It is one of the main advantages of a motorhome over a caravan. I paid more than 40 quid a night to stay in Sienna a couple of years back, although 25 was more typical.

There are some advantages, though. You often get more room than an aire, laundry facilities and at that price a swimming pool is pretty much compulsory.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Every year we go to Spain{North} in July cost €60 per night.

Why? we meet friends motorhomers & caravaners and have a great time.

Yes its expensive but we enjoy it.

Other times we stay on Aires.

Its all down to the fredom to do what each person wants.

I know people here with motorhomes that only use campsites.

They think anyone wild camping is crazy.

We are all different.

But we all enjoy it however we chose to camp.

Long live fredom of choice.

Mel

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you have 3 or 4 kids and maybe a dog... Height of season and want to be on one of the major sites, then you need a fat wallet these days

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
We've never stayed in anything other than a campsite! I haven't come across any aires that looked any good I suppose.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Well, aires are not supposed to be an alternative to sites - 'aire' means 'area' as in 'parking area' ... :Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Aires are good for passing through but not for staying on more than a couple of nights (unless you're going to be out all day). Fortunately, we don't have to be there in the height of season but it must be hard for those with children of school age. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am at the minute paying 405 Emus per month in the centre of Benidorm and to be quite honest its braking my heart, BUT am within 5 minutes walking distance of the beach and 2 minutes walking distance of the Chinese and a 10 minute drive to La Cala where we had lunch today for 12 Emus each for 6 courses including wine. Beer is still 1 Emu a pint and a litre of gin 5.5 Emus, so I am hoping to get my moneys worth. Its all horses for courses but if I was paying anything near the prices quoted here I would want at least room service with a French maid.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
It's each to their own and I'm with the campsite crowd.::bigsmile:
Never stayed on an aire and toured throughout France.
We've done Italy in August, it's not cheap.:Eeek:
I only remember wild camping a couple of times, on a beach for a week in Morocco where there was no campsite, but that was way back, sometime when I had hair and flairs.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we have used camps in Italy and Spain , spareingly :Smile:, but for France to be honest we just couldnt afford those prices for the amount of time we are there

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
We used large expensive sites in Spain in August when the kids were teenagers and they were worth every penny as we hardly saw the kids 'cos they were well catered for day & night :thumb:

Out of curiosity, young or older teenagers.

Mine are 16 and 15.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Van, 2 adults. 3 kids and a dog Camping las Dunas, N Spain in School Summer Hols 2013 = a cool €86 a night

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Out of curiosity, young or older teenagers.

Mine are 16 and 15.

Went to El Delphin Verde when they were 16 & 14, then went to Las Dunas when they were 18 & 16. Both sites we hardly saw them, they were in the pool most of the day and there was loads of evening entertainment. Both huge sites and everything is there, supermarket, takeaway, restaurant, bars, shops & even hairdressers! Really enjoyed both sites and would happily go back again but can now go out of season.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Am at the minute paying 405 Emus per month in the centre of Benidorm and to be quite honest its braking my heart, BUT am within 5 minutes walking distance of the beach and 2 minutes walking distance of the Chinese and a 10 minute drive to La Cala where we had lunch today for 12 Emus each for 6 courses including wine. Beer is still 1 Emu a pint and a litre of gin 5.5 Emus, so I am hoping to get my moneys worth.
Its all horses for courses
but if I was paying anything near the prices quoted here I would want at least room service with a French maid.

You eating it there as well ? :Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Van, 2 adults. 3 kids and a dog Camping las Dunas, N Spain in School Summer Hols 2013 = a cool €86 a night

All payable in cash too:Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You eating it there as well ? :Eeek:
4 X G&T aperitif.
1 Litre Sangria.
Fish soup.
Three starters, King prawns with olioli.....Croquettes......Pancakes filled with salmon and Roquefort cheese.
1 bottle house red.
Main course ...Pork loin in pepper sauce with roast potatoes, courgettes and beef tomatoes.
Desert...Creme Catalan.
Coffee and Carlos 1 brandy.
45 Emus inc tip for 2 persons. No horses were harmed in this menu :Smile:.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Never even considered an aire.. I just see them as overnight stops .. nothing more. But each to their own of course.
We like to be plugged in, near a pool and have entertainment on tap..

D

DM14742

Deleted User
4 X G&T aperitif.
1 Litre Sangria.
Fish soup.
Three starters, King prawns with olioli.....Croquettes......Pancakes filled with salmon and Roquefort cheese.
1 bottle house red.
Main course ...Pork loin in pepper sauce with roast potatoes, courgettes and beef tomatoes.
Desert...Creme Catalan.
Coffee and Carlos 1 brandy.
45 Emus inc tip for 2 persons. No horses were harmed in this menu :Smile:.
Jealous :cry:egg & chips for me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Why do people go into nice hotels instead of b&b ?

They want quality, they want facilities, they want service, they want location.

But look at ACSI prices and go off peak and all this is available at an affordable rate.

We had a few nights in northern Italy in a top site. We were desperate, everywhere was full. It was near €30 a night. But it had better toilets than at home, it had a heated indoor swimming poor, sauna, lovely pitches with nice hedges to give privacy and fabulous apfelstrudel.

So go invest a few pounds in ACSI and see how the other half live.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are campsite people as well. We like to slob around on a beach with restaurants, bar and entertainment laid on. When we are bored with the facilities we move to another site. We are off to France in April for a month and will be using aires on the route South then sites for the majority of time (ACSI and Camping Cheque) in summer we are heading to Croatia, again on well appointed sites. It's what suits us.

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
I can't believe that people are willing to pay these high prices. When my kids were young, we had several summer holidays in either a tent or static caravan. They were never on sites loaded with facilities but the children really enjoyed themselves teaming up with other children, making their own entertainment and playing creatively. My son, who takes his 3 girls and their dog away in a caravan, said that although they sometimes pay for holidays on sites with entertainment, etc., the girls have enjoyed themselves just as much when they've roughed it.

Instead of paying loads of money to stay in an expensive site on the mediterranean why not rethink and look at some of the sites in the mountains/on lakes and rivers? I've just found Camping de Roybon in the Rhone Alpes in the ACSI book and in the middle of August the price for a week in a motorhome for up to six people is €98.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
to answer your question Chris afraid im still working full time and its something like 800 miles for me just to get to Dover so with only 2 weeks holidays think it may be difficult to cover much of France to make it worthwhile, but the time will come

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

I would never pay that-- i would get back in the MH and drive off to a aire.
With x2 little ones we stopped in Europe in school hols for average of 15--18eu per night on rural sites.
if it`s warm weather we can make our own entertainment on a rural site, not a butlins type of thing.
We use commercial sites here in the winter for £20 to have all the indoor facilities and entertainment.
Better try the asci though:thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We will happily pay £50 a night in high season just to know that all the grumpy, penny pinching miserablists aren't spoiling our enjoyment of the site's luxurious facilities.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back