self fit reliiable LPG - help (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
If this has been asked before, I do apologise. I have searched forum but cannot find the answer. If it has been asked before then to those who take humbage to this post DO NOT READ PAST THIS LINE :winky:

Thanks to all the useful info on previous question "Gaslow v Alugas"

Taken the decision to fit a system. next question "Do I fit myself or pay someone"

I am a competent person, and my son is a "gas safe" plumber, so from technical side should be OK. Couple of questions.

1. Is it worth having an automatic changeover valve?
2. It is being fitted on a 2013 Autotrail Dakota - How do they run refill pipe out of box and where abouts in side skirt do they fit refill point. A photo would be great.
3. Which refill adapters do I need (plan to use this year in France only, but future years will be pan Europe.

Nigel

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi personally I would not fit a auto changeover valve just so that I would know when one bottle was empty.Fitting the filler is usually done in the skirt at the side of the locker because it is a bit more sturdy.You can fit it on a L bracket inside the locker if you want.The suppliers will advise on which fittings :winky:
I would get prices from Alugas, Gaslow and Gas it :thumb: All have similar systems but vary on prices
Terry

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's an easy fit ,the hardest part is drilling a hole for the filler, Took me less than an hour to do ,just a matter of tightening a few nuts. I fitted a manual changeover which is really just a T piece using the cylinder valve to close & open. Best advice is go on the gaslow web site where you can download fitting instructions, filling instructions etc. Don't forget shop around for prices:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If this has been asked before, I do apologise. I have searched forum but cannot find the answer. If it has been asked before then to those who take humbage to this post DO NOT READ PAST THIS LINE :winky:

Thanks to all the useful info on previous question "Gaslow v Alugas"

Taken the decision to fit a system. next question "Do I fit myself or pay someone"

I am a competent person, and my son is a "gas safe" plumber, so from technical side should be OK. Couple of questions.

1. Is it worth having an automatic changeover valve?
2. It is being fitted on a 2013 Autotrail Dakota - How do they run refill pipe out of box and where abouts in side skirt do they fit refill point. A photo would be great.
3. Which refill adapters do I need (plan to use this year in France only, but future years will be pan Europe.

Nigel

Before you finally decide, do take a look at having an underslung fitted, especially if you are competent to fit yourself. Any size up to 60 litres is around 220 quid including valves, plus you'll need probably another 100 or so for sundries, filler valves, frames, hoses, regulators etc. It would free up your gas locker for more equipment and take loads more gas than even a couple of refillable cylinders.

http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/Camping_and_Motorhome_Accessories.html

For adapters, I'd suggest UK bayonet with thread for the main filler, with ACME and cup adapters on hand.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
external filler point is the way to go makes life a lot easier, just buy yourself a 70mm (check your lit for correct size, gas it use 70mm) hole saw from screwfix. I also enclosed the fill pipe in a lenght of waste water pipe just in case the pipe started to rub/chaff. I will try upload a photo, or pm with your email address and i will e mail you the picture.

The gas it kit comes with stainless bolts etc and i just added a drop of loctite to ensure they dont vibrate loose.

Best thing to do is to talk to gas it and they will ask what you have and what you want to do and spec the parts for you.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Apologies for the size of the pictures, but not too sure how to make them smaller.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi personally I would not fit a auto changeover valve just so that I would know when one bottle was empty.Fitting the filler is usually done in the skirt at the side of the locker because it is a bit more sturdy.You can fit it on a L bracket inside the locker if you want.The suppliers will advise on which fittings :winky:
I would get prices from Alugas, Gaslow and Gas it :thumb: All have similar systems but vary on prices
Terry

I agree with Terry on the Auto change over, I have one fitted from new but I never use it for the reason terry has mentioned

Mel

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Apologies for the size of the pictures, but not too sure how to make them smaller.

Download irfanview. Pretty easy then. No computer should be without irfanview. If the computer won't run irfanview, give it to a good cause, like landfill.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
At the end of last year the Gaslow system parts were cheapest from Hamiltons.

My 11kg Gaslow system fitted in less than two hours by me in situ .........

Attachments

• IMG_4056 C.jpg
    IMG_4056 C.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A whole thread with posts that I agree with... every one!

I have only run out of gas once and that was because of the auto-change over thingy.

Remember where ever you choose to position the filler make it is a sturdy bracket. The filler nozzles and pipes are heavy...

JJ:Cool:

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

On my previous refillable bottles, corrosion (rust) became a problem on the cylinders due to the condensation that had formed on the horizontal restraining straps over a period of time. On my replacement bottles I have fitted the plastic mesh 'stocking' that is supplied with the Gaslow cylinders, thus insulating the strap from the bottle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back