Moan: I've broken my crank handle!!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
This is turning into an eventful trip....snow & frozen water at Hereford C&CC, no water working last night when I arrived at my next site (working now)...

...and now I've snapped the handle for my Fiamma sun canopy while winding it back in this morning as it started snowing again :cry:

The canopy is great, but the handle is just crap. It's so flimsy. The section that has snapped looks like aluminium and has broken at the point where they've reduced the diameter to fit some kind of plastic collar. This is on top of me having to keep knocking one of the pins back in at the nearby 90 degree joint every few months because it slowly pops out over time - in fact, you can see it trying to escape in the photo, on the right hand side.

I really wanted to be winding the awning back in by hand/pliers in the wind and snow today.... :shout:

Deep breath.....relax.....just order a new one Neil.....it's just money :Sad:

Anybody else managed to break one of these things?

Attachments

• STA72016 (800x428).jpg
    STA72016 (800x428).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 107

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
All is not lost Neil, just pour your woes and frustration out on my lot, let the moths out of your wallet and we will send you the bits you need poste haste:thumb:

Peter

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
This is turning into an eventful trip....snow & frozen water at Hereford C&CC, no water working last night when I arrived at my next site (working now)...

...and now I've snapped the handle for my Fiamma sun canopy while winding it back in this morning as it started snowing again :cry:

The canopy is great, but the handle is just crap. It's so flimsy. The section that has snapped looks like aluminium and has broken at the point where they've reduced the diameter to fit some kind of plastic collar. This is on top of me having to keep knocking one of the pins back in at the nearby 90 degree joint every few months because it slowly pops out over time - in fact, you can see it trying to escape in the photo, on the right hand side.

I really wanted to be winding the awning back in by hand/pliers in the wind and snow today.... :shout:

Deep breath.....relax.....just order a new one Neil.....it's just money :Sad:

Anybody else managed to break one of these things?
Can you not fix it temporarily? Maybe sleeve it with something? Bit of hose or something?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
All is not lost Neil, just pour your woes and frustration out on my lot, let the moths out of your wallet and we will send you the bits you need poste haste:thumb:

Why did I know you were going to say that? :roflmto:

I'm assuming that I have to buy a whole handle, and not just the broken bit - will find out soon enough. If it's the whole handle, it appears that my small version is no longer available, so I'd have to get the standard one and cut down to size :Sad:

Can you not fix it temporarily? Maybe sleeve it with something? Bit of hose or something?

It would have to be a really tight grip - I think it just sheared as it was being rotated/twisted, rather than snapped due to bending. No harm in trying and then having it as a backup winder.

Maybe combine it with....

Link Removed

...Evo-stik Liquid Metal. Although with my DIY skills, I think I need to be careful that I don't end up spending as much on repair materials as a proper replacement.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
drill, tap die and put a piece of threaded bar (or old bolt with the head removed) screw together making sure you use a thread bonder such as loctite and it should be ok.

If you don't have tools around/a willing funster locally then look for an engineering company that may have someone to do it for a tenner for you.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
feed a hose clip onto the plastic shaft but do not tighten yet, Slot it back together using some epoxy we all have lying around in our sheds (don't we?)
Then drill a hole straight through the plastic side, through the metal and out the other side, then insert a metal pin cutting it flush with the plastic, then slide the hose clip up to the pin and tighten all up, should last a lifetime.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What I want to know is....What the hell were you doing with a SUN canopy out in that weather :ROFLMAO:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Moan: I've broken my crank handle!!!

To me that seems a silly thing to do...:RollEyes:

Why did you do that... ? :winky::ROFLMAO:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
"It just came off in me hand Guv"..... honest! .......:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Your not an "over zealous cranker" are you? :winky::winky:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Be carerfull when using equipment like that, a roomer [cant spell to save my life.Raza Raza] may spread that you are inclined to get a bit cranky. :thumb:
Hope things get better soon
Pudseykeith

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
What I want to know is....What the hell were you doing with a SUN canopy out in that weather :ROFLMAO:

Why do you think....I was drying my towel of course. ::bigsmile:

Fat chance of me using it for the purpose it was designed for in this country!

I'm on my third now.
It's easy.
Ho humm

This is one of those ocassions when 'like'-ing a post just feels bad!

If my repair goes wrong and I end up buying a new one, if you've still got the old broken ones maybe we can make one decent one between us :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back