Toilet/Cassette blue fluid (1 Viewer)

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
There was a thread a few weeks back re toilet liquids, a lot of people seem to use bio laundry liquid has the same results and much cheaper around £1 a litre :thumb:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
There was a thread a few weeks back re toilet liquids, a lot of people seem to use bio laundry liquid has the same results and much cheaper around £1 a litre :thumb:

Just what i use, does the job same as the blue stuff. No nasty chemicals and cheaper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Not only for price but because it does not harm the environment.

We use nothing. Think SOG.

I used to use green. Avoided blue for environmental reasons. However, mine now has a marine toilet and you technically don't need anything.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Bio

Bio products may be kind to sewage systems that are designed to take such products but, don't forget, some camp sites are in remote areas and may not be connected to mains drainage.

Spare a thought for the site owner with a septic tank. Overuse of Anti-Bacterial disinfectants and heavy cleaners will kill the beneficial bacteria in the septic tank, which digest the solids.
Don't use anti-bacterial hand wash products as you are poisoning the septic tank bacteria with every wash.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well if you put as much bio liquid into the septic tank as excrement, then yes you will kill the bacteria.

However, 'some' doesn't do it. Remember, it's already been at work on the contents of your cassette before the sh!t hits the fan, so to speak! - so it isn't either full strength or undiluted when it gets there, is it? Esp if say you put it in the day before yesterday and you've driven some way since then! And not everyone on the aire/campsite will be using biological whatever.

But if you put enough bleach and washing up liquid and shampoo and shower gel into yur cesspit, then you will indeed have trouble. And there again, septic tank bacteria are really really cheap and readily available - in France at least. Not here cos they aren't the norm.

But you can still use a little bit of bleach in a tank here as long as it doesn't go straight in the tank. Oi knows this cos my sister has had a number of properties where no mains flowed, and she was able to bleach the loo but ONLY when it needed it - and not routinely.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Well if you put as much bio liquid into the septic tank as excrement, then yes you will kill the bacteria.

However, 'some' doesn't do it. Remember, it's already been at work on the contents of your cassette before the sh!t hits the fan, so to speak! - so it isn't either full strength or undiluted when it gets there, is it? Esp if say you put it in the day before yesterday and you've driven some way since then! And not everyone on the aire/campsite will be using biological whatever.

But if you put enough bleach and washing up liquid and shampoo and shower gel into yur cesspit, then you will indeed have trouble. And there again, septic tank bacteria are really really cheap and readily available - in France at least. Not here cos they aren't the norm.

But you can still use a little bit of bleach in a tank here as long as it doesn't go straight in the tank. Oi knows this cos my sister has had a number of properties where no mains flowed, and she was able to bleach the loo but ONLY when it needed it - and not routinely.

As we don't know how much bio material is ok, or how much would cause mayhem, how many people use whichever product and the emptying regime of individuals, is it not reasonable to take advice from camp site operators, such as the Caravan Club, and only use materials that don't harm their bacteria? I would rather not guess.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why use chemicals in your loo at all? Its madness and a totally unnecessary expense. You don't need them, just empty every day and you'll be fine. :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Best thing going, no chemicals, no special paper, no nothing!! all natural!!:ROFLMAO:

Not only that I was seriously impressed by the quality of the SOG kit. Really good quality plastic and quality little fan. A bit of a fiddle to fit but nothing any DIYer can't do.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My DIY SOG still going strong after 6 years ---cost zero :thumb:if you don't count a couple of mugs of coffee ::bigsmile:
terry

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Not only that I was seriously impressed by the quality of the SOG kit. Really good quality plastic and quality little fan. A bit of a fiddle to fit but nothing any DIYer can't do.

I would love to fit a SOG to our MH, but for what I see as a serious design fault by Auto-Trail.
The toilet cassette door is located next to the habition door. This means that when you take the cassette out to empty it (or in the case of a SOG, just vent) you are in danger of having any lingering odours entering the MH.
You are also in the area where you would normally sit and chill/b-b-q or whatever, under the awning (or in the awning if you have the walls up).

I would have liked the shower and toilet/washroom to have swapped sides so that working with waste would all have been done on the offside.

Pay attention Auto-Trail. :Angry:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would love to fit a SOG to our MH, but for what I see as a serious design fault by Auto-Trail.
The toilet cassette door is located next to the habition door. This means that when you take the cassette out to empty it (or in the case of a SOG, just vent) you are in danger of having any lingering odours entering the MH.
You are also in the area where you would normally sit and chill/b-b-q or whatever, under the awning (or in the awning if you have the walls up).

I would have liked the shower and toilet/washroom to have swapped sides so that working with waste would all have been done on the offside.

Pay attention Auto-Trail. :Angry:
You can always fit the vent under the van away from the loo :winky:
terry

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
If you don't use chemicals what breaks the solid matter down in the cassette?because,,if you have done a big one,you can't get it out no matter how much you shake it.(The toilet).It happened to me,the guy standing behind me must remember all my sorry about this's, rinse after rinse,do you have to clench your buttock muscles together every two inches?

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
You can always fit the vent under the van away from the loo :winky:
terry

I'm sure it would be worth a try :thumb:

I have just sent an e-mail to Auto-Trail asking them why they haven't/can't swap the toilet and shower over on future models.
They are bound to have all sorts of design reasons, but it may give them food for thought, or not.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back