Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all

Got a bit of a problem coming up. What do people think of taking cats in Motorhomes?
I know that dogs are common but I know its unusual for a cat.
Are there rules I should follow? I'm sure mine won't run off because he likes comfort more than going out.

Oh and one other thing, how can you get rid of the smell of stale cat urine???

Thanks Gary

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have never taken ours in the van but I don't see why not. They would need to travel in a basket.

We use litter that seems to mask the smell in the house.

Good luck and tell us how you get on.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had two cats in the van at various times. Mine settled really quickly in the van. I didn't need to cage them when driving as they just settled down to sleep when I was on the move.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We take our 2 cats all the time no problems. Travel in boxes whilst on the move and then have free run of MH whilst parked up.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have always taken our 2 cats with us in the U K but not abroad as they haven't passports.
We did have a problem on C &CC & CC sites last year as they now say all animals must be on a lead!! I don't think our 2 would take very kindly to that so we had to keep them in when on site. Everywhere else we go they just do as they please and never run off, but can sometimes be naughty when we want to move on and hide on top of the water tank beneath the van, which does make life difficult!!!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ours starts yowling as soon as she gets put in her basket to drive two miles to the vet and doesn't stop until she gets there. I'm not sure I could cope with that for a MH trip. I'd also worry about excessive heat in the van when abroad in summer. However, the dilemma will approach when we're on pensions regarding the cost and good sense of a long cattery stay if we do any long off-season trips. We may have to try taking her with us - she's quite old and sedate but she still likes the outdoor life and I'm not sure how she'd take to being cooped up in a van.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've seen quite a few cats in vans here and abroad on my travels over the years and also quite a few on leads so its more than doable. Geo and Pam trained their cat to travel in the Rv with them I think.
Good luck::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My cat travelled all over Europe with me for several years with no problems other than the expense of vets and ferry company charges. Change the litter tray on a regular basis and that cures that problem. My cat never went into a travel cage as she preferred to sit or lie on the dash whilst on the move. She had an igloo for sleeping and if I was outside would just sit around the van sunning herself. She was more like a dog than a cat though mentally. Never had a problem with mice in the van.

Attachments

• S6000204.jpg
    S6000204.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 32
  • S6000218.jpg
    S6000218.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 29
  • S6000201.jpg
    S6000201.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 29
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Never had a problem with our cat he travelled all over Europe and UK, he just settled on the bed and slept till we arrived at our destination, only time he moved was when he wanted to use his litter tray and he would just stand at the toilet door and miaow". :thumb:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hmmm...we have three cats and the cattery charges are becoming the most expensive part of going away! But they are used to going out whenever they want [except when the catflap curfew comes into place at dusk] and I really can't see them adapting to a life on the road. The male's territory here extends to a radius of at least 200 yards...

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We take our two cats everywhere, just set up and open the door, they go wandering off but soon return when they get hungry. ::bigsmile: As has already been said, the ccc want them on a lead, while we can do that with the youngest, the older one turns in to a Tasmanian devil cat, hissing and spitting with claws everywhere so the harness had to come off.

They are both passported, but so far only the younger one has travelled abroad with us.

Ian

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
Our 2 cats go everywhere with us, wouldn't dream of leaving them at home!
We are in Southern Spain at the moment and Wally & Fudge are more than happy be here with us instead of at home in France.
We have never kept them in cages to travel, as soon as we put them in the van to begin a journey they climb onto the bed and settle down to sleep. On site they are happy to go for walks on their leads and always know exactly where the van is parked on return.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back