Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Again...

I have just been for my MOT and have got a couple of fail points but nothing serious for the first time in 3 years. However he has said the rear leaf springs are marginal passes.

They are currently 1 leaf only. I have a supplier who can do me a two leaf set for £288 inc vat which includes all the bushes, clamps and bolts etc.

I can also get 3 leaf set as well but not sure if it is worth going the extra for it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I will be installing spring assister later in the year but the leaf springs definitely need replacing now.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
my opinion for what its worth
replace springs as standard fit a air ride system
we fitted air ride and what a difference to handling and my headlights now work without blinding oncoming drivers
well worth it

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
why do the need to be replaced ??------maybe they are overloaded ? if so, then an air helper spring might be all you need ??
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I will re-iterate. I am getting a spring assister fitted later. Currently I am just getting the leaf springs replaced because they are totally shot.

They are inverted so badly that the axle is pushing all the way into the rubber shocks on the chassis. Body roll is scary.

fitting spring assisters or air ride would not help as the leaf springs are shot.

The manufacturers have just gotten back to me regarding a price on the three leaf kit and it is £336 fully inclusive.

As this is only £48 more I will go for the 3 leaf rather than the 2 leaf.

Currently it is only single leaf and I definitely want to improve on this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
why do the need to be replaced ??------maybe they are overloaded ? if so, then an air helper spring might be all you need ??
Nigel & Pamala

Not overloaded. All my weight (water tanks, 150KG battery bank etc etc) are all towards the front of the van. The current springs are under rated for continuous use.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Karl, Read my thread "Saggy Bottom". Jones springs at Darlaston are your men. Give them a ring and they will re tension your springs and put in an extra leaf or 2. If you tell them exactly what you are doing including loaded axle weights, they will make them up to your requirements. There will be no need for air lift kits afterwards. It will work out at least half the price you are now looking at with the air kit and it will be a better job.

Posted from sunny Benidorm :Cool:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Karl, Read my thread "Saggy Bottom". Jones springs at Darlaston are your men. Give them a ring and they will re tension your springs and put in an extra leaf or 2. If you tell them exactly what you are doing including loaded axle weights, they will make them up to your requirements. There will be no need for air lift kits afterwards. It will work out at least half the price you are now looking at with the air kit and it will be a better job.

Posted from sunny Benidorm :Cool:

I have read it. It would either involve a drive to them which isn't possible at the moment or having my van in the workshop for 3-5 days which isn't practical with me being a fulltimer. It would also work out more expensive due to the labour charges.

£336 seems like a decent price as it includes all the other sundries needed to fit.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have read it. It would either involve a drive to them which isn't possible at the moment or having my van in the workshop for 3-5 days which isn't practical with me being a fulltimer. It would also work out more expensive due to the labour charges.

£336 seems like a decent price as it includes all the other sundries needed to fit.

My man will have them off and on in half a day, with change out of £80.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
stop and get out just to make sure nothing has fallen off due to the hard ride more like.

You obviously have no idea how modern parabolic leaf springs work,
I would imagine they are parabolic, Right Gromett?

Also leaf springs WILL fail at some point, single springs are very dangerous when this happens, Multi leafs are by far the safer option

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You obviously have no idea how modern parabolic leaf springs work,
I would imagine they are parabolic, Right Gromett?

Also leaf springs WILL fail at some point, single springs are very dangerous when this happens, Multi leafs are by far the safer option
doesnt really matter as i wouldnt have a European motorhome with, what is basically, 19th century technology 'cart' springs anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My man will have them off and on in half a day, with change out of £80.

I can't get to him. I am currently tied to the area near my Mums as she is in hospital twice over the next 2 months and I need to stay close and then again for 2 month after that for her recovery.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Karl go for the 3 leaf ones, you will be amazed at the difference in both ride height and quality:thumb: You may well decide the air ride is not needed/required. I changed from 3.5t springs to 5 t ones on my old Iveco :thumb: I had the springs off a recovery truck that I had bought for spares and forgot about ::bigsmile: since it was at my sons yard :winky:
I like you priced up new springs or extra leafs at about 350 a pair but as soon as I said for my M/H the price jumped up to just shy of 500 qiud :Eeek: it was only when my son heard me on the phone telling them there was no difference between the vans and m/h springs and they were trying it on ::bigsmile: that he reminded me I had some :Doh::thumb:
Terry

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is the one I am buying. Well, the 3 leaf version.

They are the manufacturers not just an ebay wholesaler/middleman.

Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
They should do nicely Karl:thumb:
We have a factory about 10 miles away that makes springs so never though of looking on ebay :Smile:
Terry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
They usually add a leaf to the old one to get it back to original spec. Apparently they do lose a little each time they are re-tensioned, so they put a leaf extra in to bring it up to what it was as a new spring.

Third leaf should keep things that way - expect a slightly harder ride than usual, but I dare say with the weight of the motor home and contents it should iron out any earlier stiffness.

At least they don't break on speed bumps like coils do!:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They are from Jones Springs. Before buying them, ring and ask for Kev. He will do you a deal if you ask nicely and if you are prepared to go and fetch them yourself and pay with folding then you will get a VERY good deal :winky:
By the way an excellent choice of supplier. Have dealt with them for over 40 years and never had a problem with either there service or products. If you tell them what you intend doing with them re aftermarket air suspension, they will stiffen them up accordingly so as the air kit is not required.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They are from Jones Springs. Before buying them, ring and ask for Kev. He will do you a deal if you ask nicely and if you are prepared to go and fetch them yourself and pay with folding then you will get a VERY good deal :winky:
By the way an excellent choice of supplier. Have dealt with them for over 40 years and never had a problem with either there service or products. If you tell them what you intend doing with them re aftermarket air suspension, they will stiffen them up accordingly so as the air kit is not required.

Thanks for the recommendation :thumb:. Glad I have the right people.
As I said in my previous posts. I can't travel at the moment as I am looking after mother and I honestly wouldn't feel safe driving the van that distance with the suspension the way it is.
I am happy with the price and happy to pay delivery. Just got to find a decent mechanic nearby to do the job now...

They should do nicely Karl:thumb:
We have a factory about 10 miles away that makes springs so never though of looking on ebay :Smile:
Terry

I look on ebay first for everything. I got my oil sump at half the price. I got my headlamps saving £100. And so on and so on.
You can save a fortune by sourcing the parts yourself and just paying the garage labour. Most garages just seem to use the local motor factor as they don't have time to search out the best price on each item. This proves quite expensive most of the time.

For example I bought a gasket and got it for £12. The garage has just charged me £30 for it. I know the motorfactor they got it from charged them £23.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it works, Why change it

And leaf springs go back to medieval times

drum brakes all round worked
gas street lights worked
steam locomotives worked
a WC at the end of the garden worked
party phone lines worked.........

but you wouldnt want to go back to those days, so why stick with yesteryears springs when there is a far better alternative.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
drum brakes all round worked
gas street lights worked
steam locomotives worked
a WC at the end of the garden worked
party phone lines worked.........

but you wouldnt want to go back to those days, so why stick with yesteryears springs when there is a far better alternative.

I see you have woke up again
Leaf Springs are a better option for weight on the rear then coil, unless you have active air suspension like the type fitted to modern trucks and buses

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Now, now you two :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am happy with leaf spring suspension. It works, it's simple and it's what I am stuck with :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I see you have woke up again
Leaf Springs are a better option for weight on the rear then coil, unless you have active air suspension like the type fitted to modern trucks and buses

forum rule No1............attack the post, not the poster.

Rule 1, Be Nice.

No personal attacks of any kind against other members of the forums. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are strictly not allowed. As is telling others to "get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid". If you strongly disagree with a post then your reply should address the post and not question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster. There are plenty of forums that allow members to be discourteous toward each other, this is NOT one of them. Spelling and grammar pedants are never nice, correcting other members spelling or grammar is strictly forbidden. Members should report any post they see that breaks the rules

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time

forum rule No1............attack the post, not the poster.

Rule 1, Be Nice.

No personal attacks of any kind against other members of the forums. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are strictly not allowed. As is telling others to "get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid". If you strongly disagree with a post then your reply should address the post and not question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster. There are plenty of forums that allow members to be discourteous toward each other, this is NOT one of them. Spelling and grammar pedants are never nice, correcting other members spelling or grammar is strictly forbidden. Members should report any post they see that breaks the rules

I dont think i questioned your parenthood or intelligence or called you stupid or in fact told you to get a life, I just commented on your probable sleeping pattern, I do not need the rules posting to me, but thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you two don't pack it in I will have to send you to your room with no supper :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back