Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
peterborough
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since october 2010
can anyone tell me the best fan heater to use in a 4 berth motorhome. i have a gas heater but find it noisey
Tony

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Then a fan heater is not the way to go. I've searched for tens of years to find a quiet one only to realise they don't exist.

How about oil filled ?

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Look at the dyson bladeless heater/cooler customer reviews on Amazon, expensive but does get good reviews:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Then a fan heater is not the way to go. I've searched for tens of years to find a quiet one only to realise they don't exist.

How about oil filled ?

A fan heater might be quiet relative to the gas heater tho' - or at least less noticeable because it's a constant background whirr rather than the assorted clicking/whooshing/variable fan speed noises that you tend to get with gas heaters. I use a Dimplex fan heater as a booster in very cold weather and hardly notice it. It's very good at providing a quick warm up. :Smile:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
can anyone tell me the best fan heater to use in a 4 berth motorhome. i have a gas heater but find it noisey
Tony

if you must have one
use one with a thermostat
at least it will be silent sometimes

never found a quiet one when i was
at work company used to buy them in bulk
best price but always thermostat models
(by the container as it was cheaper than picking them up and servicing them)
for the vulnerable if we cut the mains gas supply off

all the ones i gave out had thermostats on and were two kilowatt
be carefull on site one of them and a kettle pits the electic off
found out the hard way:Doh:

first time out in the self build
still use one in the swift
parked up during travel i use the gas propex heater

mrs t will not wild camp

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Firstly,fan heaters are very directional.
I have been looking for one with more than 2 heat settings because on ACSI sites with only 6Amps many fan heaters are just too powerfull.
Tonight we have put our Truma on and I must say that it is quieter and the heat is more 'spread out'

Mike

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

How about oil filled ?

Oil filled are silent, very effective and often have lower power settings for limited EHUs. The only issues are that they are heavy and take a long time to get started.

Some of the quieter fan heaters are the ceramic types, which are also smaller, lighter and more inherently safe than conventional fan heaters. But there'll still be some noise.

Also consider flat panel convectors, which are thin and easily wall mounted.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have used one of these for the last few years, being able to drop to 750 watts is ideal when only on 6amps. No good in the depth of winter though.
Link Removed

Just noticed they are only £12 in The Range

Andy

Last edited:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
heat calc.

Here's an example of a free standing, ceramic, 2kW, fan assissted heater, with three settings, which should heat your van sufficiently. I wouldn't go any smaller than 2kW with your van size.

It even has a frost protection setting (low temp.) which would be useful for use during winter storage.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a fan heater as an addition to the Truma to reduce gas usage when on hookup. (TRuma output is very low on electric only so gas still needed if its very cold)

I wouldn't use it on its own though as it will heat the van very unevenly and it will be freezing in the washroom (normally the warmest place).

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I/we have always had leccy fan heaters and either truma or propex heating :thumb:The old DIMPLEX fan heater was good but the new one is crap there is too much difference between heater coming on and off about 10 yes 10 degrees :Eeek: Also tried about 3 others :Sad:This year I bought a Delongi digital fan heater from Lidl about £20 ish and this has proved to be very good turning itself on and off within 2 degrees :thumb::thumb::thumb:Also it has a remote control :thumb:and I RECOMEND IT TO ANYONE :thumb: not taken lightly recomending but so far it has prooved great
terry

OP
OP
niterider

niterider

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
peterborough
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since october 2010
electric fan heater

Thanks everyone for your advice i shall be going to currys at the weekend to checkout there stock of fan heaters thanks again
niterider

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back