• Total voters
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Many drivers stuck in snow overnight in the south east.
If it were compulsory to carry snow socks or chains this increasingly frequent event could be avoided.
Everybody blames everybody when this happens but for 50 quid a car and a bit more for hgv s they could all get home safely.

Do you carry chains or socks in your motorhome ??

Last edited:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
yes i agree with you,and yes we carry snow chains for traveling south european countrys and the uk, as they dont except our winter tyres we have ice studs in our winter tyres's, the problem i found in the Uk, is that vehicle owners rely on summer tyres for driving in harsh winters, and as most drivers i have found of to day are not really qualified to drive in these conditions in southern euro states and no training given, and there you have your problem, its not just the council, but i do appreciate, why have two sets of wheel when its not law too, up here it is the law to have winter tyres and summers tyres and you have certain times of time of year to fit them to fit them, enough said, and like you and the rest of Europe, we again have had much snow over night, when will spring start:cry:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
yes i agree with you,and yes we carry snow chains for traveling south european countrys and the uk, as they dont except our winter tyres we have ice studs in our winter tyres's, the problem i found in the Uk, is that vehicle owners rely on summer tyres for driving in harsh winters, and as most drivers i have found of to day are not really qualified to drive in these conditions in southern euro states and no training given, and there you have your problem, its not just the council, but i do appreciate, why have two sets of wheel when its not law too, up here it is the law to have winter tyres and summers tyres and you have certain times of time of year to fit them to fit them, enough said, and like you and the rest of Europe, we again have had much snow over night, when will spring start:cry:

What is spring :RollEyes:
We left Manilva near the med last week as the forecast was wet and windy but 17 degs and have come back to freezing temperatures, should have stayed down there :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Snow socks

Got snow socks a few years ago but have never had to pull them on , yet! Looks like there's a good chance they'll be needed this year if the current weather continues through Easter. Can't stay on the Costas indefinitely??

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
the feeling this year, the only spring i know is the one use at the moment:cry::ROFLMAO: we normaly have the four seasons up here, but this last year makes us think, one consolation is we are not on our Own, i can keep up with the most weather reports around our glob ,and as i see it, every where is haveing a bashing this year,strange weather:cry::Cool::roflmto::whatthe:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It only works if everyone uses them though. The Marsh road, Eastbourne to Bexhill, last night was impassable. Not because of the snow and ice, which was present but drivable, but because the traffic was stationary for miles. It only needs one plonker to block everything behind.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Think ahead !!

There should be a " I don't carry either " button !!!!:RollEyes:

I watch the weather forecast for my destination,if it's unfavourable I don't go ! Simples !!:Cool:

Why risk an accident and the cost thereafter !!:cry:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It only works if everyone uses them though. The Marsh road, Eastbourne to Bexhill, last night was impassable. Not because of the snow and ice, which was present but drivable, but because the traffic was stationary for miles. It only needs one plonker to block everything behind.

That is why it should be compulsory by law so anyone creating a hold up with no snowsocks/chains would be penalised .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't carry them in any vehicle. If it is snowing I don't drive.

You don't have a "no" option so I couldn't complete the vote.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I keep chains and shovel in the car and had to drive through the snow last night, but it was 1 am and no hills so they were not needed:thumb:, but it was snowing hard and it was drifting and slippery and in 30miles of duel carriageway and motorway guess how many gritting lorrys I saw:Doh:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Some vehicle owners can't change a tyre, check the oil or refill the washer reservoir.

What chance would they have with snow chains? :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry about the no no option, not enough poll options to have a yes or no, just tick yes if you do :Sad:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Never needed either in almost 40 yrs driving ::bigsmile: Also never got stuck on a field :Smile:Even when I was young and foolish I still managed to get unstuck ::bigsmile:
We in UK don't need chains socks etc just commom sense, but snow tyres could be useful for the odd day every few years ::bigsmile:
Terry
Twin RWD van and 4 x 4 pick up truck :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile::winky:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Never needed either in almost 40 yrs driving ::bigsmile: Also never got stuck on a field :Smile:Even when I was young and foolish I still managed to get unstuck ::bigsmile:
[HI]We in UK don't need chains socks etc just commom sense, [/HI]but snow tyres could be useful for the odd day every few years ::bigsmile:
Terry
Twin RWD van and 4 x 4 pick up truck :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile::winky:

[HI]Not a great deal of common sense in the south east yesterday, snowsocks/chains could have avoided the whole debacle [/HI]:RollEyes:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
This is my list of winter equipment in works vehicle van truck or crane
Sleeping bag
Spare warm clothes
Primus stove +fuel
Kettle
Water
Tea bags
Cup
Tins of soup
Can of diesel 10 litres van only
Torch
Mobile phone
If stuck simple feed up fuel up go to bed till coppers bang on door
I am still here at 58 so I must have something right
And that's 40 winters on road driving anything from a mark 1 transit to big stuff well over 150 tonne
Not being big headed just true

For car nothing
For camper nothing
Don't use when when weather is too bad

I forgot to say purpose of phone to let Elaine know I won't be home tonight again put dinner in dog and go to bed

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Most of us oldies got through the winter of 1963 with only a shovel,and we have not seen a winter like that since. 3 months solid frost ice and snow.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
But everyone would still be held up :Sad:

Perhaps I am missing the point, I understand the queues formed because vehicles could not get traction on roads covered with a layer of snow, if they all fitted socks or chains there would be no queue .
I also understand the hold ups were not caused by drifting snow which would be another issue.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Perhaps I am missing the point, I understand the queues formed because vehicles could not get traction on roads covered with a layer of snow, if they all fitted socks or chains there would be no queue .
I also understand the hold ups were not caused by drifting snow which would be another issue.
If you penalise someone for not having the correct equipment (and therefore getting stuck), it does not alter the fact that they are still blocking the road.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
At the end of the day we only get bad weather occasionally and most people are not geared up for as they normally within a few miles of home
Truck drivers and other long haul drivers deal with it more often and are more able to cope (sometimes)
I don't think it matters what you have with you it's all about ability to cope with situations and attitude

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Sorry about the no no option, not enough poll options to have a yes or no, just tick yes if you do :Sad:

But what if you don't......? :Eeek:

Not a very balanced Poll then if we can't answer honestly.....:Doh:

Are you Alex Salmond in disguise..............:winky::winky:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

Lots of people round here have decent 4 wheel drives and they still can't get out of their drives after less than an inch of snow. ::bigsmile:riving2:::bigsmile:riving2:

Yet another layer of legislation, fines etc, will not solve the problem of incompetency and stupidity. :Wacko::Wacko:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Larry have you just bought a job lot of Chinese snow chains by any chance?
If your touting for business Jim will be on to you!

:winky:

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back