lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have been thinking for a while now of getting a refillable gas system for the MH and wondered if it would be better to go for a under slung tank or a bottle in gas locker.

So if any of you have had either of the above fitted feel free to give pros and cons.

Thanks Gerry

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
This is the same dilema I've been wrestling with... so am looking forward to hearing folks' opinions! :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
If you have the space, if you have the money, then go under slung.

Simply = more space and opens space up for other bits :thumb:

Make sure you get a good capacity though, at least as much as you can fit.:thumb:

No point in losing gas capacit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have been thinking for a while now of getting a refillable gas system for the MH and wondered if it would be better to go for a under slung tank or a bottle in gas locker.

So if any of you have had either of the above fitted feel free to give pros and cons.

Thanks Gerry

I went for Gaslow bottles. You can easily install them yourself saving the installation costs of a tank and if you change vans at any time you can take them with you - can't do that with a tank. Also I run the bottles individually, as soon as one is empty I switch to the other and then look to refill the empty one quickly, no chance of running out then, you can't do that with a tank, you have to watch the gauge.

Only advantage I see with a tank is that it frees up the gas locker for extra stirage.

Mike

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Well my new to me van came with a 60 litre tank courtesy of previous owner. Holds 48 litres at 80% The very nicely sized gas locker now stores all manner of things.
Very nice filling that up when you find LPG around 70p
I have a gauge on the dash but like Gaslow's it's not progressive. Because the tank is horizontal the top part empties very quickly. I filled it when 1 of 5 lights was still lit and it took 32 litres so that last light still has at least 16 litres left.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
This is the same dilema I've been wrestling with... so am looking forward to hearing folks' opinions! :thumb:

Underslung is easier to refill, as any LPG station will let you, whilst bottles can result in the emergency stop being pressed and lots of shouting.

Underslung are usually larger, sometimes considerably so if you've got a bit of space.

If your engine is LPG, you can combine the filler and fill engine and "hotel" tanks in one hit. It also means you never run out, as you are always filling the engine tank.

Bottles are easier transferred to your next vehicle.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
BTW FYI you are allowed up to 93 litres on eurotunnel.

Edit 73 litres at 80%

Last edited:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We are currently in Spain and have been running off Calor since 14th January. We have 3 x 6Kg and have, so far only used 1 complete and are now on the second bottle, a further one is in reserve.

The one problem I see with refillable systems is finding where to refill, In Spain LPG Garages are few and far between plus, if you are set up on a site you may have to drive 50 miles or so to get a refill.

I have no problem with the refillable systems except for the availabilty of LPG. The principle is very good, just the availability

Just my opinion

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
We opted for the refillable bottle system , purchasing a 1x 11kg Gasit bottle and attachments kit , including exterior fill point .We didnt buy the euro fill adaptors , but have had no problems filling in France etc as the garages are happy to lend out the appropriate adaptor . The whole thing inc of professional fitting was around £200 .

In just over a year of regular use , has never given any problem . Our van usage is all year round and we dont stint on gas usage for heating , but the savings have been considerable when measured against the ex buying / exchanging of standard propane bottles ........ Apart from the capacity of the bottle and basically what seems to be a guesswork gas capacity guage we have no cons on the refillable bottle system ..........That said , if our MH usage changed to say being off the beaten track for extended periods , then we would not hesitate in changing to a higher capacity underslung tank system . Going for as high a capacity as was feasible in the given space . The Gasit kit would then be sold on , via probably e bay , with hopefully minimal cash losses incurred . As these "used " kits ,generally ,seem to command a high % of the original new cost .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Underslung is easier to refill, as any LPG station will let you, whilst bottles can result in the emergency stop being pressed and lots of shouting.
News to me - we've never experienced this at all and have had a Gaslow bottle since 16 June 2009.

Bottle:

For:
  • Much cheaper than a fixed tank
  • Competent DIYer can easily fit it
  • Much easier to move from one motorhome to another
Against:
  • Still takes up space in the gas locker
  • Doesn't hold as much gas as a tank

Tank:

For:
  • Usually has a much larger capacity than a bottle
  • Frees up the gas locker for other things
Against:
  • More expensive than a bottle(s)
  • Cannot be moved as easily to another motorhome
  • Needs to be fitted professionally

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replies and your opinions all very much appreciated I think we will go down the way of the bottle, with our usage one should be enough as long as I check levels before going away. I currently have two 6k propane bottles as this was all the old mh would fit in locker. New one will take 2 11k bottles. I am due to change both bottles in the near future as getting empty so might just get a refillable one instead.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Gerry, don't be tempted to get 2 x 11kg refillables at the moment, see how you get on with one as you can always have a 'normal' type bottle as a back-up, or get a local bottle for whatever country you're in/or visit most (eg Spain) if LPG filling points are scarce there. You can always add a second bottle at a later date (make sure you get the right one though!).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the replies and your opinions all very much appreciated I think we will go down the way of the bottle, with our usage one should be enough as long as I check levels before going away. I currently have two 6k propane bottles as this was all the old mh would fit in locker. New one will take 2 11k bottles. I am due to change both bottles in the near future as getting empty so might just get a refillable one instead.
you shouldnt need to check the levels Gerry....just top them up anyway.

could be a bit embarrassing going to pay for 1.5 litres of gas though :Doh::roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I went for Gaslow bottles. You can easily install them yourself saving the installation costs of a tank and if you change vans at any time you can take them with you - can't do that with a tank. Also I run the bottles individually, as soon as one is empty I switch to the other and then look to refill the empty one quickly, no chance of running out then, you can't do that with a tank, you have to watch the gauge.

Only advantage I see with a tank is that it frees up the gas locker for extra stirage.

Mike
as i said in my previous post.....no need to keep checking the level, just fill it anyway, when you have the chance.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Gerry, don't be tempted to get 2 x 11kg refillables at the moment, see how you get on with one as you can always have a 'normal' type bottle as a back-up, or get a local bottle for whatever country you're in/or visit most (eg Spain) if LPG filling points are scarce there. You can always add a second bottle at a later date (make sure you get the right one though!).

Absolutely, we have just one gas low and then another ordinary that never gets used unless we are skiing. A gas bottle lasts for 3 days plus in the alps in freezing temps. On a normal time away we never run out. The advantage is that you can stick a French/insert country bottle in if needed.

you shouldnt need to check the levels Gerry....just top them up anyway.

could be a bit embarrassing going to pay for 1.5 litres of gas though :Doh::roflmto:

I have put 67p in befote:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Absolutely, we have just one gas low and then another ordinary that never gets used unless we are skiing. A gas bottle lasts for 3 days plus in the alps in freezing temps. On a normal time away we never run out. The advantage is that you can stick a French/insert country bottle in if needed.

I have put 67p in befote:Blush:

that'll teach you.
bet you bought a load of sweets and drinks as well to hide your shame ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
thanks again guys as mentioned in previous post i will be going for one bottle to start with and possibly a 3 or 6k propane spare this will still give me a bit of room in locker for some tools that i will never use :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: might even fit the dog in there.

defiance

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
defiance

Thanks Gerry
I have a underslung tank of 60 lits (48 @ 80%) fitted by Autogas 2000 from Thirsk in North Yorkshire. I also have a switch fitted inside my van so I can switch the gas off/on instead of bending down to do it and also no need to go out when it's raining. I find 48 lts is fine it's about equal to two 13 kgs bottles, if you go abroad you can buy a book that tells you where all the LPG outlets are, there is also one for this country from Autogas 2000, if I was to change my van I would have the tank taken off. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck. defiance

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back