Driving 8mtr tag axle around england (1 Viewer)

freakylady

Free Member
Apr 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
Hi there
me again :)
just wondered if anyone had had any problems driving a 8 metre tag axle around the country roads of englad - ie devon / cornwall?

Picking up ours next month and any tips / places to avoid would be great

thanks

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Porlock Hill springs to mind Rural Roads - The Exmoor Coast - Porlock Hill

We took an American RV up/down once........... got overtaken by a couple of cyclists on the way up and had to stop half way down to allow the brakes to cool off! :Eeek: Never again !! :Doh:

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it:
Porlock Hill is a section of the A39 from the village of Porlock the road climbs approximately 400 metres in under 2 miles up onto Exmoor, producing a very steep hill with a gradient of 1 in 4 and hairpin bends. The hill must be driven slowly and with great care. At the bottom of the hill there have been numerous accidents when coaches have crashed into walls as their brakes fail.

There is a less steep toll road that small vehicles and cyclists can take as an alternative route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My RV is 10 metres and tow a car that makes it 14 metres but it's manageable, try to plan advance if you can.

We all get in tight spot but somehow come through them.

Welcome to Fun BTW:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
freakylady

freakylady

Free Member
Apr 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
cool
thanks for that - already enjoying searching through the forums for tips and advice and just thinking about trips to take.
we use 'tom tom a lot in our car but you can't specify avoid small windy hilly roads!!!:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Freakylady

Be very, very, very wary of Tom Tom - it WILL get you into trouble in your 8 metre tag axle! Others may pooh, pooh this fact - but I assure you that Mo and I have driven thousands of miles in this country finding sites for the Big Pitch Guide and dear old Tom Tom has taken us up the garden path on more occasions than I can remember.

The only other problem that you may encounter is the very fact that you have a tag axle - we are more and more coming across sites that simply will not accept tag axle vehicles because of bad experiences they have had with tag axle caravans and 5th wheelers.

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Tom Tom does have some extreme back road shortcut:Doh::Blush:not suitable for anything more than an ordinary car.

Hi Freakylady

The only other problem that you may encounter is the very fact that you have a tag axle - we are more and more coming across sites that simply will not accept tag axle vehicles because of bad experiences they have had with tag axle caravans and 5th wheelers.

Good point never though about this, my twin axle van with motor mover ripped up grass:Doh::RollEyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back