Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
hi guys
how many of you belong to either of these clubs.
I have been a member of c&c c for 5 years but except for going to club meets in a field for a fiver a night I have found club sites very expensive ( upwards of £20 a night) which I havnt used a lot, and having got my annual reminder that they will be taking £40 out of my account next month I got to thinking do I need them , we go to France and pay nowt and we might as well pay britstops £20 and use them for nowt. dont see how we are going to lose , do you? or do you know better

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
I'm a member of c & cc club but am on my own and over 55 ( I know you just wouldn't believe it) so for me its great a club site is normally £8.50 a night (off season) with electric when I go to private sites it about £13 - £15 a night and hardly half the amenities.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
For me being a newbie to motorhoming i have found the cc invaluable,not knowing where any sites were their web site and book came in very handy as we left off the other week with no real destination.We ended up staying on some cc sites but mainly cls between kent coast and inverness.cls being £11 on average

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Yes, club sites are quite expensive but at the end of the day you get what you pay for; good well maintained sites and pitches, good security and on the whole respectful neighbours. I am a memeber purely for access to CL sites and freedom they offer at a very reasonable price. Most now have electric hook up and some toilet blocks. You can only access most of these sites as a member of a club. Well worth it in my opinon but each to their own.

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Yes, club sites are quite expensive but at the end of the day you get what you pay for; good well maintained sites and pitches, good security and on the whole respectful neighbours. I am a memeber purely for access to CL sites and freedom they offer at a very reasonable price. Most now have electric hook up and some toilet blocks. You can only access most of these sites as a member of a club. Well worth it in my opinon but each to their own.

Yeah totally agree Shojac but some of the listed (private) sites are rubbish - poor facilities and crap WC blocks - yet more expensive than the club sites which are great

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
I'm in both clubs,I find the cc a bit "nose in the air,oh is that a motorhome" The c&cc better,we get a Over 55 discount out of peak times(some sites allyear) and you can get a non electric pitch which helps pay for the hundreds of solar panels on my roof!!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
CLs & CSs generally don't have some officious t**t closing the ablutions at 11am for cleaning!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
yes but why do you need toilets and hookups surely that is the idea of mhs that you have your own

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi,
We are a member of both , mainly for the cl's & cs's but do use the odd club site when the need arises, joined for the convenience of having the club books and maps covering all area's ,then no need to hunt around for other sites some of which can be expensive .
Terry & Ann

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
been a member of both for around 9 years, don't think we have ever stayed on a club site all seem very expensive to us, they might have good clean facilities but so has our motorhome and we would never use the site ones, we have however more or less lived on various CL / CS sites over the last 7 years and have found these much more to our taste, also found that the insurance through the CC was pretty good when we had a caravan, looking into the Mayday / Green Flag breakdown service through the CC as it seems there are no size or weight restrictions for motorhomes.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
yes but why do you need toilets and hookups surely that is the idea of mhs that you have your own

Not all motorhomes have full facilities onboard, and I'm definitely not putting the utility tent up to have a shower when I stop over at Hereford tomorrow ::bigsmile:

It's also good (sometimes very important) to know that you're heading to a location with guaranteed hardstanding and no interruptions late at night.

Price-wise, this time of year the C&CC club sites when solo are sometimes cheaper than CSs and private sites.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
As already said, if you are over 55, then the C & CC can take some beating with their concession. I am on my own most of the time and its nice to go somewhere and only pay for me.

Also i like the fact that they are mostly quiet at night.

vonny

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
Derby
Funster No
MH
swift suntor
Exp
"SINCE 2007"
site fee's

Hi
I don't mind paying a reasonable price to CC for peace of mind, knowing that all sites are well maintained and has good security.:winky:

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've saved a total of £25 on two advance ferry bookings through CCC compared to booking with the ferry companies direct, but that doesn't match the annual membership fee. We don't use club sites so maybe we'd save a few quid by ending our membership, but we're only talking a tenner.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Yeh I find the "Holiday site managers a lot nicer" and more easy going.I just hate the ones that insist on goose step your pitch out for you and say zhis is ver you park!!

Hears a good one,Who likes winding up jobsworths???? I got so carried away once that the warden tore away in his 4wd and left a 6ft tyre mark on the grass he wanted me not to park on!!!! I am sure he heard me having the last word,MIND THE GRASS YOU ******.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
must say I am amazed how many people on here are in these clubs, I thought most posters on here were self contained wild campers and european tourists. As to the supposed savings I am afraid I have never found any that you couldnt get elsewhere with your own googleing and tesco vouchers.
Must say also ,even when we have been on fully serviced sites I would much rather use my own conveniances as follow a dozen others across a field to some shed

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
As I've replied before, if you are happy doing what you do, that's fine. You don't have to understand or worry about what others do, because believe it or not they are just as happy with their lifestyle choice as you are with yours. :winky:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well we are long standing CC members from when Pierre had a caravan and went rallying with No1 wife, kids, dogs etc and we rarely use sites, but like many others we do use CLs. We toy every year with C&CC but have never quite got round to it.

If it pans out after Pete retires that we spend more time in the MoHo in the UK than we have previously, then we shall think about it some more. Probably. LOL

We once stayed on a private site which also had a CL in the next field. They hadn't got room on the CL so we paid the extra on the site, as it was exactly where we wanted to camp for where we were going.

I tell you what, talk about double standards. Heated loos and shower facilties, piped music and a hairdrier on the camping, virtually a wooden shed with loos and an outdoor washbasin for the CL. CL area in the shade enitirely and typically wet Welsh weather so dripping.

I went over one morning to have a look at the CL, you know 'for next time' ? and also to find out about paying, and virtually had the third degree about what was I doing from the wardress. So I told her all cheerful like and she said you couldn't be too careful and I said well you've trusted us for two days on the campsite already without bothering to speak to us and there's nothing anywhere informing us where to go to actually speak to you, I didn't even kow the house was (where it was) until I came mooching round the CL - but anyway if you had been over you would know there's a Red Pennant sticker on our window anyway. By the way I may as well pay you while I've got you, hadn't I? She seemed even more put out by the fact I wanted to inconvenience her more, by paying. That amused me greatly. Chuckling all the way home. :ROFLMAO:

What the hell she was doing in 'hospitality' I have no idea to this day!

Best CC wardens ever were at the Worthing site, which unfortunately appears to be closed - dunno why.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We are members of both and use their sites and facilities.

Never had any real problems with wardens.

I did come across one female Jobsworth when the van was in storage at Abbey Wood but generally speaking I have found them all pleasant and helpful.

We booked our summer French trip via Carefree which saved a bit of money but I didn't join the clubs to save money.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We are members of both - occasionally use their sites but generally use the books for the CL /CSs we also use them for ferries / recovery insurance etc. In all honesty it is a bit like anything in life - if you are paying for it and not using it then its a waste of time. If you are paying for it and not using it then you need to analyse why and should you use it - if you cannot see any use then scrap it .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I reckon every person has there own ideas of what is good or bad, and what they want out of club membership..

For us, we had nothing but awful experiences with the Caravan Club, from obnoxious people ( and not just wardens, I mean at head office too ), whilst we have had nothing but really good experiences with the Camping and Caravan Club.. Saved us money, lovely people to deal with, and many many cheap sites.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As a fulltimer I'm a member of both and recover my annual membership cost very quickly. Van is fully equipped and I prefer to use my own onboard washroom but in winter 16A hook-up on hardstanding at just over £9/night on average is hard to beat. With that I can run my heating/hot water on electric 24/7 at no extra cost. Spring/summer/autumn (when club site costs rise) I use CLs, C&CC THSs and wild camp. Best of both worlds! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thats me put in my place then!!!!!:Sad: Is Every one on here in the clubs then?, but as I said I am in the ccc just thought most on here would not be and wondered how they get on not being.
But for what I get out of it , it does seem a lot of money.
As I know someone else that is in it , I can still get all the info off them:Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
hi guys
how many of you belong to either of these clubs.
I have been a member of c&c c for 5 years but except for going to club meets in a field for a fiver a night I have found club sites very expensive ( upwards of £20 a night) which I havnt used a lot, and having got my annual reminder that they will be taking £40 out of my account next month I got to thinking do I need them , we go to France and pay nowt and we might as well pay britstops £20 and use them for nowt. dont see how we are going to lose , do you? or do you know better

Hi Chaser...re the C&Cc...we joined two years ago..and gave it great debate before doing so...mainly to use cls and club sites when we come back to the uk with the motorhome....expensive, but not a lot else on offer in the uk compared to France where we live...as you may know in France we do nothing but Aires.....but in the UK .Portugal, Spain we do campsites...we were members of the CC for many years to many to think about....and I would not rejoin....
Don't forget being a member of the C&Cc (and the Cc) there are the winter campsites in Portugal and Spain if that is the kind of camping you like....But it is a lot of money if you are not using them.....What I will say for the two clubs normally they are very clean and well run....yes toooo official at times:Doh:....a bit like the Jobworthies:winky::winky:

If it was me..I would keep one....and ditch the other...before ditching one ...check the sites of the area's you most frequent :winky::winky:
Yes we are self contained and we always use our onboard toilets and showers....Always...but it is nice to have a safe clean managed site....and there is toilets and showers should I ever need them...(eg breakdown of these two items:thumb:)
Mel

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As I know someone else that is in it , I can still get all the info off them:Smile:

I don't think the issue is 'getting the info' - that is available from the C&CC website. For me, the main reason for belonging to the C&CC (not CC) is that I want access to Certificated Sites and for that you need to be a member. Now if we were in France it would be a different matter, but in the UK there are just not enough camper-stops (or aire-type places) to support the motorhoming lifestyle.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Best CC wardens ever were at the Worthing site, which unfortunately appears to be closed - dunno why.

No its still open:thumb:, The toilet and shower block have been closed for a few years now and they have been threatening to close the site for years but its still pretty popular, I tried to get a season ticket for this year but they were all gone. :Sad:

I joined the CC this year for that very reason, some of there season tickets are very good value and as I work for 4 days a week down worthing way its quite a good way of saving some money, it worked out to be about £32 a week, unfortunatly not to be this year:Doh:, but I will try again earlier next year:winky:

Last edited:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
must say I am amazed how many people on here are in these clubs, I thought most posters on here were self contained wild campers and european tourists. As to the supposed savings I am afraid I have never found any that you couldnt get elsewhere with your own googleing and tesco vouchers.
Must say also ,even when we have been on fully serviced sites I would much rather use my own conveniances as follow a dozen others across a field to some shed

You are amazed how many people are club members, Some people might be amazed that you collect Tesco vouchers!

If you don't want to renew your membership of C&CC thats your choice, but not sure why you need to question other peoples motives!
We are all different (thank goodness) and all have our reasons for our choices, and long may that continue.
Hope you have a good 2013 whereever you choose to fetch up in your Motorhome.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You are amazed how many people are club members, Some people might be amazed that you collect Tesco vouchers!

If you don't want to renew your membership of C&CC thats your choice, but not sure why you need to question other peoples motives!
We are all different (thank goodness) and all have our reasons for our choices, and long may that continue.
Hope you have a good 2013 whereever you choose to fetch up in your Motorhome.::bigsmile:

Why are you all seeming to take it personal, Im not bothered whether you are in it or not, as I said I am a member of ccc for 5 years as well but just got to wondering what I am getting for my 40 quid and it seems I am the only one and yet I know other motorhomers that are not on here either that go along , never having been in any club

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Interesting thread and a good mix of opinions, we're all different eh?:Smile:
We've been CC members for a few years now, not C&CC but I've stayed on a few of their sites and been happy so no real allegiance apart from just coughing up for one membership per year.
Agree with everything that's been said about cleanliness, order and space.
Also agree with some of the warden comments, makes me laugh at times, but that's the way to deal with it.
I use the facilities when on the site, as I guess the majority of caravan owners, who generally have their own facilites as, I think. I'd rather muck up the site bathroom than my own and reduce the frequncy of emptying the waste, since it's me that generally does it. (two other women in the van so blokes will understand...:ROFLMAO:)
Booked on two CC sites for the Easter holidays....roll on.:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back