Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
I want to have a A frame fitted to my Toyota Yaris. Looked at a number of options including car a tow and tow bars 2 tow cars. One video = tow bars 2 tow cars showed a van reversing with the car on the back which I thought was impressive. Any one got any preferences or recomendations they could give me. I am leaning toward one which allows the towed vehicle to use it's own brakes.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would wait a while as the laws relating to a frames are changing this year

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Always been a pushbike man myself and never used an A-Frame. We've got quite a few A Framer Funsters, using all the different types, yank imports and UK made I'm sure you'll have some opinions on the best options soon enough.

Lots of threads about A Frames being targeted by Spanish Police, but you can A Frame with impunity here in the UK

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Point me somewhere to read more Larry, cheers :thumb:

Jim
Am on I phone and Spanish site wifi so difficult to search but posters on threads in recent months have indicated that an EU / GB change to construction and use will happen this year
It is unclear whether there will be a retrospective change

I stand to be corrected on this one as the grey matter is reducing recall :RollEyes:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
My limited understanding of the forthcoming reg changes is that they will occur next year and that overrun brakes will only be allowable on trailers with axles mounted centrally or thereabouts, not one at each end as in a car. Also that on any trailer fitted with ABS brakes they must be fully functional, i.e. ABS must work. This will be difficult to achieve without the engine running on the toad and as all new cars have ABS as standard I see an end looming for "legal" A frames (and I use the term "legal" very loosely)::bigsmile:.

D.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My limited understanding of the forthcoming reg changes is that they will occur next year and that overrun brakes will only be allowable on trailers with axles mounted centrally or thereabouts, not one at each end as in a car. Also that on any trailer fitted with ABS brakes they must be fully functional, i.e. ABS must work. This will be difficult to achieve without the engine running on the toad and as all new cars have ABS as standard I see an end looming for "legal" A frames (and I use the term "legal" very loosely)::bigsmile:.

D.
Two-bars2tow-cars are fitting my Panda this Friday,!!
Although I was aware of the changes due, I hadn't come across the ABS being required to work. Should be an interesting conversation this Friday bearing in mind they guarantee the systems legality now & after 2014 ??
I'll keep you posted. :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I want to have a A frame fitted to my Toyota Yaris. Looked at a number of options including car a tow and[HI] tow bars 2 tow cars. [/HI]One video = tow bars 2 tow cars showed a van reversing with the car on the back which I thought was impressive. Any one got any preferences or recomendations they could give me. I am leaning toward one which allows the towed vehicle to use it's own brakes.

something I wouldn't be happy with.... the Tow Bars 2 Tow Cars system.

The A-Frame is attached to the front of the car using the[HI] original manufacturer's towing point [/HI]on one side, and a duplicate is fitted by us to the other side

tow points are oddly enough not designed or intended for towing.. they are fitted for tying down the car while in-transit and for recovery using a straight pull with a towing bar .. not an angled pull as an A frame exerts.. .. this puts side stress on the tow point that it wasn't designed to take..

no doubt someone will rebut this .. but that's my opinion..

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I had a long chat with a towbar fitter this year they fitted me a tow bar and air ride suspension he showed me a bar assembley and a fiat with a modification to front to take bar where they removed bumper and fitted a reinforced crossmember then refitted bumper it all looked good Exept in middle of bumper is a tube with cable sticking out this applies brakes when motorhome brakes
I must admit it looks a very good system check link make you own judgment

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/Aframes.htm

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
We have the Tow Bars 2 Tow Cars system and have used it for over 12000 miles in last 4 years. A good easy to use system and been pleased with it.
Really do not want to go down the trailer route again, so for Spain we will split up and drive the car. Not really ideal but there you go.

There are pro's and con's about evrything but the A-frame is the best for us.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
A centrally mounted axle, will mean a trailer.

If ABS is a requirement, , then its the end for A Frames, I wondered how they would get around it, they are adapting. or using, a bit of HGV legislation!

Please please please, when looking for advice on this, DONT LISTEN TO DEALERS, they will already be adapting their speil to convince you you are legal, when a higher authority may decide otherwise.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Think I will wait to be pulled over, fined, unhooked and Nikki forced to drive home before I change my opinion. Or when fun, facts and OAAL produce for us a list of people fined and prosecuted.

According to half the sites, I'm illegal and always have been.

Certainly wont bother with a trailer, will just use the push bike more and move around,

A Frame threads,,, pure class :RollEyes:

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I want to have a A frame fitted to my Toyota Yaris. Looked at a number of options including car a tow and tow bars 2 tow cars. One video = tow bars 2 tow cars showed a van reversing with the car on the back which I thought was impressive. Any one got any preferences or recomendations they could give me. I am leaning toward one which allows the towed vehicle to use it's own brakes.

Just a quick update,Had our Panda converted on Friday at Tow-bars 2 Tow-cars.Excellent
job carried out in just a day to the car and the van.
Van is fitted with 13 pin euro socket as it powers the the cars braking system. The fitting to the car is barely noticeable only a socket in the low level grill gives it away as a toad. Tow brackets are new and does not use the cars original tow point. The ABS is also activated on braking. Comes with European certificate of conformity (CE) . Again friendly & excellent service:thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Just a quick update,Had our Panda converted on Friday at Tow-bars 2 Tow-cars.Excellent
job carried out in just a day to the car and the van.
Van is fitted with 13 pin euro socket as it powers the the cars braking system. The fitting to the car is barely noticeable only a socket in the low level grill gives it away as a toad. Tow brackets are new and does not use the cars original tow point. The ABS is also activated on braking. Comes with European certificate of conformity (CE) . Again friendly & excellent service:thumb:

If its CE compliant surely it's legal all over Europe

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes it's legal all over Europe except Spain which did not sign up to the CE agreement, hence why it's outlawed in Spain.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, roadburner We have a car a tow system fitted to our seicento its very easy to fit it costs about 950 quid all in ,its mounted on two specially made mounting points very well made solid :thumb: when not in use it fits in car boot ,overall very happy with it ,have seen other systems but not as well made imho :thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes it's legal all over Europe [HI]except Spain[/HI] which did not sign up to the CE agreement, hence why it's outlawed in Spain.
I find that strange as everything I have found concerning the CE Agreement includes Spain but I could be wrong:Doh:

Found this-
Where is CE marking required?

CE-marking compliance is a legal requirement in the European Union member states and the European Economic Area countries. The countries are:
• Austria
• Belgium
• Bulgaria
• Cyprus
• Czech Republic
• Denmark
• Estonia
• Finland
• France
• Germany
• Greece
• Hungary
• Iceland
• Ireland
• Italy
• Latvia
• Lichtenstein
• Lithuania
• Luxemburg
• Malta
• Norway
• Poland
• Portugal
• Romania
• Slovakia
• Slovenia
•[HI] Spain [/HI]
• Sweden
• The Netherlands
• UK

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
I have used an A-frame now for a few years and I have towed thousands of miles with absolutely no problems at all all over Europe and down into Greece, I have used Armytages towing system.

Because of the new laws which are alleged to be forthcoming and because I am no longer able to carry large heavy A-Frames ie 37kg I have purchased the Unibrake system.

The reasons are as follows :-
Towbars 2 tow cars system will only work on small cars ie What is on their website and they absolutely refuse to attempt to fit on any other vehicle.

I don't like small cars as I am rather a large chap and I like to be able to take friends and family with us when they join us on holiday plus I cannot see the point in having a small car stood doing nothing when not on holiday (which it would be)

Unibrake system will fit to any vehicle upto 2000kg My Peugeot 308 is 1140kg so well within
The unibrake aframe weighs under 10kg so perfectly easy to handle

Unibrake have a special crossmember manufactured to EU standards for towing attachments ie with 2 towing eye mountings, NO modification is done to your existing crossmember as it is totally replaced by the specially manufactured one.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If you think about 'A' frames it's all a load of bo!!ocks - do they really pose a 'Problem' - NO ! How many accidents ? None !!! Then why a 'rule' - just because they can !! - Are$oles !!

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Going to be controversial, but if you want to have a motorhome and drive around in a car when you get somewhere, why not just pull a caravan. Before everbody starts slagging me down this is a serious question. I really cant see the point in towing a car.

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Going to be controversial, but if you want to have a motorhome and drive around in a car when you get somewhere, why not just pull a caravan. Before everbody starts slagging me down this is a serious question. I really cant see the point in towing a car.

Simples, I had a caravan and got sick and tired of having to "set it up" everytime we pulled up anywhere, also having to keep fetching 40 litre of water and emptying 30 litre of waste and struggling for room, also if we pulled in on way for a cuppa and it was raining, you have to get wet and then set it up then when done pack up again then get wet again going back to car

Now Pull in set up within 5 minutes, 200 litre of fresh water 170 litre waste, pull in on way for a cuppa just stop make a cuppa, when done put kettle and cups away and away we go, No brainer really
:Doh:::bigsmile::thumb:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I only tow a car (A frame) if touring in the UK as parking is such a problem and places to stay are inconveniently sited.

If A frames become illegal I shall just stop touring in the UK because a trailer is just not practical as I have nowhere to store one and its impractical on site.

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
I only tow a car (A frame) if touring in the UK as parking is such a problem and places to stay are inconveniently sited.

If A frames become illegal I shall just stop touring in the UK because a trailer is just not practical as I have nowhere to store one and its impractical on site.

According to all the pundit's they wont be made illegal it will just be the braking system that changes, at the moment with the A-frames from such as Armytages, Towtal etc it is not easy to reverse as this applies the brakes on the towed vehicle, But from such as towbars, Unibrake and the other systems which have an electrical pump which allows the original servo assisted braking to be used these do allow reversing so they should be OK.
::bigsmile:

I use mine mainly in Europe as we tend to get to somewhere then look around locally for a few days then move on and make it last a few month doing this we see a lot more as trying to find a parking space for a 8 metre MH is not easy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back