Travel to Spain (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We have done various combinations of several routes.
Dover to France is the cheapest but if you are pushed for time it's a good long drive into Spain. Plymouth prices depend on your vehicle and nerve as December in the Biscay can be for the brave traveller.
Nothing nicer than a long drive through France. This year, April, we are going from Hull and driving down to the south. It's a holiday so don't want to try for a land speed record.
Prices for the ferries vary a lot. Four years ago we did Dover return for £67, then Portsmouth to Bilboa return at £890. The Hull return with a motorcycle return is £280 this April.
Good luck with your decision and I hope you enjoy your route.

OP
OP
Peter & Elaine
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
It's difficult to calc it all with
Ferry fees
Tolls
Fuel
Wear and tear
And time but that's not too much of a issue

We were considering pulling rewaco trike behind van but I think that will not happen

I never thought a weather in bay though Elaine's not a good sailor
We did Santander 2 years ago with trike and spent 2 weeks ridding home but that was summer with a very good crossing but had a fantastic time coming home though France Switzerland following Rhine all way up though Germany in to holland and home though Rotterdam hull would recommend it to anybody on 2 wheels or 3

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Swim is probably the cheapest! but we have booked Plymouth Santander,24ft MH and bike trailer in may with cabins around £1100.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I know opinions vary, but for me Dover/Calais and drive down has to be the cheapest option.
If you take an area on the Med like Benidorm, Costa Blanca you still have a 480 mile drive from Bilbao.
If you can get a cheap ferry crossing and use the N roads then that has to be cheaper.
Some people take their time and travel over a few days, others like to get south quickly and do the journey in a couple of days.
At least the roads in France and Spain are a pleasure to drive on unlike our own road network.
Which ever route you choose hopefully you will have much better weather over there in december.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
can get a little 'bouncy' in the bay in winter....

i would rather have a long drive

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxfpShHZvw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxfpShHZvw[/ame]

Last edited:

tool3chest

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Weston-super-mare
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1990
do you have a route down to Benidorm.??

I know opinions vary, but for me Dover/Calais and drive down has to be the cheapest option.
If you take an area on the Med like Benidorm, Costa Blanca you still have a 480 mile drive from Bilbao.
If you can get a cheap ferry crossing and use the N roads then that has to be cheaper.
Some people take their time and travel over a few days, others like to get south quickly and do the journey in a couple of days.
At least the roads in France and Spain are a pleasure to drive on unlike our own road network.
Which ever route you choose hopefully you will have much better weather over there in december.:thumb:

hi ,if you have a route down to Benidorm as a first timer down to Spain i would be very glad of some help, stopovers,fuel stops etc,thanks for any help.

monty the motorhome

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
august 2012
Have driven down through France (in a hire van) and from Plymouth to Santander - I would say the price is about the same overall, but time and driving makes the ferry to santander more relaxing and less stressfull. Off this Easter with the motorhome to Barcelona and the crossing for the van, plus 4 berth cabin (3adults 1child) is costing £1113.
Driving from Yorkshire to Barcelona in the hire van in 2010 - far better mpg than the motorhome. Costs where £200 in tolls, fuel approx £380 plus ferry crossing

Regards

Paul

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Do the best of both!

We did it a couple of years ago Portsmouth to Le Havre then a 4 hour drive to St Nazair then overnight ferry from St Nazire to Gijon northern Spain.

LD Lines when we did it it was the cheapest option.

http://ldlines.co.uk/

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
cant wait for June I am off through France (watch Le Tour in the mountains) then into Spain and visit relatives in Portugal whichever way you go its fun!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Chill out, take Dover/Calais DFDS. Try Eastern France route, its great for Barcelona, Eastern Spain. Or Western France for Northern Spain. Keep off toll roads and enjoy. We will be going through Western France onto Northern Spain and Portugal May and June. Cant wait.

Last edited:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
We usually go through Dover/Dunkirk, The Loire, Biarritz, Costa Blanca. Taking a day to travel to each one (approx 350ml steps).

We have used the Chunnel, but you can't beat DFDS ferries for price.

Stay off the toll roads in France and Spain. The main routes are perfectly adequate for economy driving and have nowhere near the amount of traffic the UK has.

If you can, set off earlier. France gets pretty cold in the middle the later you leave it. When you get to Spain you can choose the coastal route if the weather is bad.

Good Luck
Ed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back