Fiat Autotrail - Dirty Step Problem (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Hi,

I am the owner of a nice new shinny Fiat Autotrail Dakota, except for the Thule automatic step to the habitation area. This seems to act a magnet to all the crap that is thrown up by the road wheels:Sad:

Does anybody else suffer the same way and more importantly has anyone found a solution? i.e. will the extortionately priced Fiat front wheel mud flaps resolve the problem?

Nigel

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I've had the same problem for many years on various vans. I found fitting rear mudflaps did help to reduce the dirt gathering on the step but didn't stop it.
I have now fitted a second rubber strip between the step and the rear wheel, this has almost stopped the problem. I am of the opinion that nothing can stop the air circulating the spray round these steps.
If you manage to cure the problem completely please let everyone know.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have the same problem on my Autotrail Comanche and I have front mud flaps. Don't know the answer and suspect we just have to live with it. My only concern is that to much crap and debris gets in the joints and affects the operation of it. Time will tell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
To protect the hinge section of the step I have used some plastic damp proofing strip which is attached as a kind of reverse mud flap. It has been in place now for a couple of years and there has been no ingress of dirt into the mechanism which works fine.

Previously I had experienced problems with grit getting into the hinges and stopping the step from working properly.

Mike

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
dirty step

Hi we have an autotrail Arapaho and suffer the same problem from the rear wheels throwing all the road crap on the step, also look out for the wiring, there is a connection close to the step.

I cut a waterproof board to fit the profile of the side skirt to provide a solid wall between step and road wheels.
A dreadful design fault by Autotrail which they have never done anything about grrrr.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi we have an autotrail Arapaho and suffer the same problem from the rear wheels throwing all the road crap on the step, also look out for the wiring, there is a connection close to the step.

I cut a waterproof board to fit the profile of the side skirt to provide a solid wall between step and road wheels.
A dreadful design fault by Autotrail which they have never done anything about grrrr.

Same problem on my auto-sleeper Surrey, went get into van a couple of weeks after last outing and step not deploying. I had read of this problem so a good brushing of the joints and a liberal spray of silicone spray and eventually started working.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Fit my mud flaps and also keep the van clean:thumb:

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiat-ducato-front-mud-flaps-x250.html

Fiamma do a cheaper one but we are out of stock

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-front-motorhome-mud-flaps.html

Peter

I just have :thumb:.
Unfortunately, on the Auto-Trail Comanche it is the rear wheels that throw most of the crud onto the step.

See my thread "Case for the Defence" to for my reason for fitting front flaps ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back