Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Yo,

Recently installed 120watt solar panel on my Fiat Sea Dinghy and I have a slight leak through the roof. I have thoroughly sealed the entry gland housing unit bit still have an egg cup full in heavy rain.
My question is whether it is at all possible for rain to travel along the cable through the grommitt flange and egress the roof space.

Pray tell

Neville

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If it's thorough it should not leak.
What have you sealed it with? please don't say silicone

Last edited:
OP
OP
G
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Solar Panel Leak

Good Lord, must sound extremely thick!
Naw I used that Sikaflex stuff that costs a bomb and goes rock hard in the tube after 6 days so works out at £11.99 an inch!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Good Lord, must sound extremely thick!
Naw I used that Sikaflex stuff that costs a bomb and goes rock hard in the tube after 6 days so works out at £11.99 an inch!
Sorry George :Blush:
Sikaflex is less than £8 at GoOutdoors :thumb:
If you tape up the nozzle after use it will still be usable for at least a month. When reusing just screw off the old nozzle and fit a new one. I pay about £8 for 50 delivered
If the stuffing gland is the right size for the cable water should not get through.
Did you clean the surfaces thoroughly before the adhesive?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Flex(ible) wiring with two or more cores can have a wick effect and draw through [HI]moisture[/HI]. But for the volume getting into your van you would need a pressure washer on the end to achieve this :ROFLMAO:

So your problem is the hole through your roof and the sealant(?) you have used.

There's a job for the weekend!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Is it actually leaking where the cable comes through the roof/gland and running down the cable... ?

If it is, you couldn`t have sealed it 100%...:Sad:

Or is it coming from some where else... ?

In which case you may have broken a seal else where while clambering on the roof to fit your panel...

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Water is a wonderfull beasty, it takes no prisoners as it slowly tracks throu the smallest of holes. It could be coming from anywhere. Go back on the roof a recheck all fittings you have sealed and check the rest of the roof also. We check our roof several times a year to make sure all is watertight. Edges,joints and fittings.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Of course the water could be coming in through a leaking joint/panel and it is finding its way into your van via your nice new hole in the ceiling board...

OP
OP
G
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Christ! I thought I was hoping for a 2 minute job. Thanks for all your superb advice.

Fond Regards

Neville:Smile:

OP
OP
G
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Sorry ,my screename is inspired by one of my favourite Wolverhampton Wanderers players who career was tragically cut shirt.:Sad: But underneath it all I am Neville though my real name is Andrew. Wife & friends call me Neville after me dad. Is that cleared up?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sorry ,my screename is inspired by one of my favourite Wolverhampton Wanderers players who career was tragically cut shirt.:Sad: But underneath it all I am Neville though my real name is Andrew. Wife & friends call me Neville after me dad. Is that cleared up?

Deeper and deeper :roflmto:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Your obviously both nutters, how to get from sealant to sloshed in two posts::bigsmile:

try sealing the hole first and then sealing the gland down:thumb:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
(sober):roflmto:

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
What" destination unknown" said was dead right,after having water damaged caravans in the past i considerd myself quite vigalante for checking all seals and joints,stupidly i did not pull off the plastic strip that covers the screw heads going through the moulding some of the , screws corroded badly letting water into the wood frame work of the roof,i shall be replacing all the the screws with stainless.
regards yokeljohn p.s.have you seen what i posted yesterday under DAMP METER.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I think Neville, George and Andrew are completely barking, as well as all of their family.​

CNbxV.gif

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Yo,

Recently installed 120watt solar panel on my Fiat Sea Dinghy and I have a slight leak through the roof. I have thoroughly sealed the entry gland housing unit bit still have an egg cup full in heavy rain.
My question is whether it is at all possible for rain to travel along the cable through the grommitt flange and egress the roof space.

Pray tell

Neville

Thanks for reminder to check the new panels and gland housing now the weather has changed. Fortunately the Welsh rain doesn't have the penetrating power that yours does. Fingers crossed it stays that way:thumb:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks for reminder to check the new panels and gland housing now the weather has changed. [HI]Fortunately the Welsh rain doesn't have the penetrating power that yours does[/HI]. Fingers crossed it stays that way:thumb:
Welll.. not unless it has some wool round it !!! :ROFLMAO::winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back