Ehic being refused in Spain and Greece (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you rely on your EHIC card and don't have any other insurance you should be aware that it's being reported that in Spain and Greece they are being illegally declined. Cheeky buggers, our NHS treats all and sundry while these countries turn away bonefide Europeans.:Eeek: Maybe they think Cameron has already given us the referendum More here

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
This "common market" has always been biased one way I do not blame them its our country that is the only one that plays by the rules

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Comes as no surprise, my daughter was refused any treatment unless She paid in advance
recently - in France! :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A year ago it worked a treat in Benidorm when 'er indoors had a weekend in a Spanish hospital caused by getting off a moving bike.

She refused a bike this year.

Even so, anyone without insurance is pushing their luck. The NHS card won't get you home if seriously ill.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Holidaying at home becomes more and more attractive by the day

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
There is presently a lot of animosity in Greece towards foreigners. :Angry:

They seem to think its the foreigners that have got them in sh1t. :ROFLMAO:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
is it not the case that if you are made to pay upfront for treatment abroad(in a country covered by your eh11) then you submit the receipt to the nhs when you get home and you are rembursed ?

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Yes in theory you claim a refund , it was currently taking about 6-7 months to process claims .

As a by the way my wife had emergency dental treatment in Spain last year cost approx. 550 euro the claim was refused as we used the private system . The "public" dentistry in the part of Spain I frequent is well nigh non-existent

Alan

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
When I broke my foot last November I went to the local free clinic in Vejer de la Frontera. They xrayed me and then sent me to the hospital at Puerto Real where my foot / leg was put in plaster. It was removed 3 weeks later after further xrays.

All this was done on my EHIC card - no one asked if I had private insurance.

Couldn't fault the treatment I received! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
They seem to think its the foreigners that have got them in sh1t.

In a sense it was. Other key members of the EU deliberately turned a blind eye to the appalling state of Greece's economy when they were allowed to join the Euro in better economic times. A number of key entry requirements were conveniently overlooked to bolster up the Euro's apparent popularity among member states.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you rely on your EHIC card and don't have any other insurance you should be aware that it's being reported that in Spain and Greece they are being illegally declined. Cheeky buggers, our NHS treats all and sundry while these countries turn away bonefide Europeans.:Eeek: Maybe they think Cameron has already given us the referendum More here

Seems a bit racist to me!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Insurance - Oh Yes.

BUT

Do read the small print. Many many travel insurers exclude treatment that SHOULD be available free via your EHIC. I do realise it would be VERY hard to argue with a foreign hospital for free emergency treatment when you have a heart attack or serious accident - but there you go. And your insurer won't reimburse you when you get home, after all, they said upfront it was excluded, didn't they? so don't even think of it.

Hopefully in the next day or two the name of THAT company will come out and we will all be able to check which hospitals it is and exactly where they are.

And OK if you conduct yourself to the door of the hospital then that might be alright cos you could avoid one of those, but all the ambulances (if they have those, don't seem to in Crete) belong to the hospitals not like to their NHS, so how the hell you avoid getting taken to the wrong one in an emergency I really haven't a clue.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
In a sense it was. Other key members of the EU deliberately turned a blind eye to the appalling state of Greece's economy when they were allowed to join the Euro in better economic times. A number of key entry requirements were conveniently overlooked to bolster up the Euro's apparent popularity among member states.

Slightly off topic:-

This form of 'encouragement' is still happening under the EU IPA (Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance) Fund where Turkey has received millions of Euros since 2007.
See the EU IPA website for other recipient countries and funding involved.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There is presently a lot of animosity in Greece towards foreigners. :Angry:

A great way to get yourself out of trouble, get rid of all the tourists.

Spain has a similar plan, need tourists, so put the prices up.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I bet the Greeks and Spanish get free treatment here, no questions asked, and soon we will get vast hoards of Bulgarians and Romanians.

Link Removed

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
For those presently in Spain or those planning a summer visit, it may be helpful to follow the link below regarding the use of EHIC in Spain. Different rules may apply in other EU states.

http://www.healthcareinspain.eu/

Regards, Bryan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back