Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Just spotted this on ebay Link Removed

Does it work? Surely everyone would be buying them if it does.

Should I go out and corner the market in used chip shop oil :winky:

Lunarman

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not sure if that particular one will work, but you could make one for a lot less. If you are thinking of cornering the used chip fat market you are about 15 years too late. I have been running on bio fuel for many years and can tell you that YES it does work. Am off to Benidorm this afternoon with long range tanks full of bio. I should get to Andora before having to buy fuel and then on to Benidorm and back to Andora to fill up again on cheap fuel to come home. My VW golf has never had diesel in it from new and has now done over 160000 miles on bio with no problems whatsoever.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
His feedback is +ve but all sales are listed as private so you dont know if he's sold any yet :Eeek:

I'd be vey cautious personally !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is no reason why it should not work,but why make 5 litres at a time when you could make 100 litres with the same amount of effort and work :Doh:. If you are getting your used oil free, there is no reason why it should cost any more than 35p per litre to make.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It will work, there are many similar systems - but you can make your own easily enough. Do it in that small an amount and you won't have time to go anywhere. There are a few chemical processes for it to go through and you end up with bio diesel and stinky soap.

You will need to keep records for tax purposes as you can only make a set amount tax free. around 5000 litres IIRC. even with tax, it is alot cheaper than diesel!! Government has tried to make it more difficult to dissuade people from doing it as they would rather you get robbed by them. Put effort in, and you can happily run on peanuts.

The effectiveness depends on your fuel pump and engine. Most BASIC engines, usually with BOSCH pumps seem to get on fairly well, others have problems and fail.

I guess alot of it is down to research and preparation - modifications such as fuel heaters may be required to warm and thin the oil. You may need other things as well.

It may pay to find out on BIO Fuel forums, and see what has been converted and how etc.

There are those that have had issues - and those that run business vehicles quite happily without issues - do your research carefully, and you can't go wrong!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I looked into it 4 or 5 yrs ago and still keep looking ::bigsmile:The local chippy looked good for chip fat and another who I know owns one :thumb:
Before I went ahead and bought the equipment I had the good fortune/forsight to enquire about the waste chip fat (fully intended to do it) only to find both places did not have any waste as such :Eeek:Aparently the fryers they use have filters in them so that all they do is use veg oil and clean the filters every day and top up the oil :cry::Eeek: so no waste oil :Sad:
terry

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
As previously mentioned it will only work safely with 'older' engines.

Here is an interesting and fairly brief article I found on 'tinternet' :Smile:

Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have used chip oil ( nothing added, just carefully filtered) , sunflower oil straight from the supermarket .. Did that in Hungary when we was almost out of diesel and no garages for bloody miles ) and various other stuff ..
Re-worked chip oil is great..AND you can produce 2000 ltrs per year for personal use without breaking any laws at all..and you do not have to keep a strict record... unless you have a plant big enough to produce large amounts..

Ideal size of converter is 100 ltr (ish ).. But much bigger and it becomes a bloody nightmare to store, process and use, much less and you will spend all your time processing it in tiny batches

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Am not sure if that particular one will work, but you could make one for a lot less. If you are thinking of cornering the used chip fat market you are about 15 years too late. I have been running on bio fuel for many years and can tell you that YES it does work. Am off to Benidorm this afternoon with long range tanks full of bio. I should get to Andora before having to buy fuel and then on to Benidorm and back to Andora to fill up again on cheap fuel to come home. My VW golf has never had diesel in it from new and has now done over 160000 miles on bio with no problems whatsoever.

Does it remove all the nasties that can be added to the oil whilst it is used for cooking and how do you know that it will not cause significant problems long term

I'm not enquiring about the use of such oils in general but questioning the effectiveness of this device.

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have used chip oil ( nothing added, just carefully filtered) , sunflower oil straight from the supermarket .. Did that in Hungary when we was almost out of diesel and no garages for bloody miles ) and various other stuff ..
Re-worked chip oil is great..AND you can produce 2000 ltrs per year for personal use without breaking any laws at all..and you do not have to keep a strict record... unless you have a plant big enough to produce large amounts..

Ideal size of converter is 100 ltr (ish ).. But much bigger and it becomes a bloody nightmare to store, process and use, much less and you will spend all your time processing it in tiny batches

Are there asny problems (safety, insurnce etc) associated with the storage of cooking oil?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Does it remove all the nasties that can be added to the oil whilst it is used for cooking and how do you know that it will not cause significant problems long term

I'm not enquiring about the use of such oils in general but questioning the effectiveness of this device.

Filter it through an old pair of jeans first to get all the big lumps out. I know it has not done damage beause I have used it for years. As stated above my Golf has done over 160000 miles on bio and is still on its original pump and injectors. There is more nonsense talked about bio than motorhome gassing. Mc Donalds would not use bio if it did any harm. Many bus companies are using it for urban routes as well as many councils. Have already replied to the effectiveness of the device mentioned. Its not big enough. Do your homework first and then do what many thousands have been doing for years. Your problem will be getting used rapeseed oil not the effectiveness of the machine.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Are there asny problems (safety, insurnce etc) associated with the storage of cooking oil?

No more problems than storing heating oil or even diesel. Only restrictions are on petrol.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
His feedback is +ve but all sales are listed as private so you dont know if he's sold any yet :Eeek:

I'd be vey cautious personally !!
currently he has 6 listings on ebay.....all but one is for this item so its a good bet he has sold a few.

the other item is an auction for an ipad

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I have been running my Range Rover and previously my Disco on 100% home made bio for 7 years now without any problems. As snowbird has already said better to start with a bigger processor. I started with a 50 litre and wish I had gone for a 100 litre.
I would add however, that you should be aware you will be working with dangerous chemicals viz Methanol and caustic.
You will need a supply of veg oil that is liquid at room temperature and a supply of the aforesaid chemicals, chemical resistant gloves (Nitrile) and HDPE containers for your diesel once made.
would be a good place to start your research if you are seriously interested.
A word of warning about Methanol, it burns invisibly and it is very volatile. A badly constructed processor can be a bomb and some that are advertised fall into that category.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back