Costs involved in fulltiming (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I'm a long way from doing this [three cats and a mother in law] but often see posts asking what kind of costs are involved per day. Usual answer is, reasonably enough based on string length, but an excellent article in the free mag 'Motorhome and Campervan' caught my eye.

This is a reproduction of a blog piece and is available online at http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/03/touring-europe-for-year-what-does-it.html

It gives the most exhaustive cost breakdown anyone could ask for! Bottom line for the couple involved was £28 a day - will be a different string length for others, but the detail given makes it easy for you to do your own sums. Good luck and I wish I was with you!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The costs of fulltiming are a popular topic but one that should not really concern anyone who can just about afford to live in a house. Generally speaking whatever it costs you to live in a house now, it can cost you less on the road, especially if you rent your home.

The actual costs of living in a motorhome will vary enormously from person to person. Just as the costs of living in a house do. Some people manage to survive on very little, others need tens of thousands.

If people are very poor, and live in a house then they can get some help with council tax, whereas the very poor traveller is very much on their own.

It is a very rare situation where it costs more to fulltime in a motorhome, but it might cost you more than you think. Maybe if you own your house and have little or no mortgage, it might cost you more to hit the road, but some off-set that by renting their home.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Grommit did a spreadsheet once, his came out at 28 a day at the top end also
But his was Pence:ROFLMAO:
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Costs for 7th March 2013:

Site fees £15
LPG £0
Fuel for travelling £0
Chinese £34
Couple of bottles of wine £12
4 comics because the kids were promised a treat £10 :Eeek:
Home Ed horse riding group £30
Giving the kid who stayed at home a thrashing on Halo 3: priceless
Can of Easy Start to get the bastid car started £4.50
Gallon of petrol used running the RV to jump start the car £6
Site fees because we have our other motorhome with us as well £2.50
Cleaning products, bleach, paint and brushes to tart up the old van £20
2TB hard drive because the 700 DVDs in the van are doing my head in £80
Tablet pc that one of the kids saw in Maplin and decided he needed for his birthday £100
All the birthday money the kid received in cards but handed over to Dad -£80 :thumb:

I'm hoping today's piece of string will be shorter :Smile:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
It's impossible, really, to estimate what the comparative costs are for fulltiming in a house or in a van.

The length of a piece of string has never been so hard to measure.

Food, clothing, bloody birthday presents and so on will always be the same, whatever you are living in.

Accommodation and utilities are costs that can be reliably compared.

A house for us, in a reasonable area, would cost at least £700 a month to rent.
Plus council tax, electricity and gas and it would be close to £1000 a month.

I would guess (because I'm not so OCD to measure it :Smile: ) that we pay around £500 a month for our equivalent basic accommodation needs.

There are other costs, obviously, such as maintenance of the accommodation, but the cost of maintaining our brick house and garden far exceeded what we spend on the van.

We could wildcamp (freeloading tossery) and scrimp on our comforts to fulltime cheaply but we choose not to - our current lifestyle is actually far more comfortable than the one we had in the brick box.

And when the neighbourhood bores us, we move to where the exciting things are :Smile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
costs me a fortune

£175.00 storage (I can stay whilst in storage)
£10 month Electric x 12 =£120
£18 month gas x 10 =£180
£779 Insurance
£186 road tax
£145 TV licence

one can not calculate food cloths and personal items
fuel as some drive all over others don't

truth is its a lot cheaper than a house

ho i did not pay £100K for my RV

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
I'm a long way from doing this [three cats and a mother in law] but often see posts asking what kind of costs are involved per day. Usual answer is, reasonably enough based on string length, but an excellent article in the free mag 'Motorhome and Campervan' caught my eye.

This is a reproduction of a blog piece and is available online at http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/03/touring-europe-for-year-what-does-it.html

It gives the most exhaustive cost breakdown anyone could ask for! Bottom line for the couple involved was £28 a day - will be a different string length for others, but the detail given makes it easy for you to do your own sums. Good luck and I wish I was with you!

We've been fulltiming for over 3 years now. We dont wildcamp & spend 2 months in the UK at home. We dont scrimp or go spendy crazy, but we need a minimum of €400 per week to survive & LIVE! Thats everything - fuel, food, fees, touristing & incidentals - like Xmas & birthdays & the odd flight home.

Plus another £200 per month to run the house back home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back