5 Star Site £9 a night ! (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We usually tour, staying just a night then move on. The only place we keep going back to is Trawsdir in Barmouth, Wales. If anyone can tell me of a better site, please tell.

Next to a farm on a hillside overlooking the sea, cheerful wardens, the best laid out site, still looks brand new - Radio 2 in the toilets! - No clubhouse or pool - just a first class site:thumb:

Stayed there last night - £9 inc EHU ! - half price until Easter, then half price 'til Summer.:thumb:

www.trawsdir.co.uk

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Try Shell Island, just down the road. £35 per week. I know it says Morocco but its in the wrong folder. The views are stunning, but although all facilities are there, there's no hookups.

Attachments

• Morocco 011.jpg
    Morocco 011.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Morocco 027.jpg
    Morocco 027.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 125

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We will be going up that way on our way to Chester
So will give it a try
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
It sounded so lovely...until the Radio 2 bit....and the thought of Chris Evans greeting me each morning :winky:

This is going to make me sound sad (again) but......what's the mobile reception like on site, and did you try any kind of internet access? I often overlap my motorhome trips with work, so need some degree of communication.

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It sounded so lovely...until the Radio 2 bit....and the thought of Chris Evans greeting me each morning :winky:

This is going to make me sound sad (again) but......what's the mobile reception like on site, and did you try any kind of internet access? I often overlap my motorhome trips with work, so need some degree of communication.

Now listen here, young man. If your young lady friend is with you then you don't need your computer..... just to let her know I will be keeping my eye on her to make sure she spoils you. It sounds ideal. No-one wished they had spent more time working when their time is up. xxxxxxx

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Try Shell Island, just down the road. £35 per week. I know it says Morocco but its in the wrong folder. The views are stunning, but although all facilities are there, there's no hookups.

I'm not going there if they're atom bomb testing like they were in that 2nd photo! ::bigsmile:

We will be going up that way on our way to Chester
So will give it a try

Your sat-nav must be even worse than mine if that's the route it suggested...

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

I use Virgin mobile:Eeek: - worked fine

Digital TV no problem

Wifi - I think it's included but I didn't bother as we juast stayed overnight

And the pub, just up the road serves a good pint and OK pub grub:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A few pics from my favourite pitch on Shell.

Attachments

• Morocco 016.jpg
    Morocco 016.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Morocco 017.jpg
    Morocco 017.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Morocco 013.jpg
    Morocco 013.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Morocco 030.jpg
    Morocco 030.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Morocco 025.jpg
    Morocco 025.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

Lovely views - hill and sea views from Trawsdir - but this time of the year I need hardstanding and EHU:thumb:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Thanks, have had a look, excellent value off-peak when theres just two of you, expensive at peak times - £34!!! Will defo be visiting there, like Barmouth.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Is the Wayside Inn where the chippy is?

Yes, didn't try the chippy but the pub grub was OK, good value, excellent guest ale:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
On route to Chester

I have always been wary of venturing North of Bristol but-:Eeek:

Does anyone know of a nice stop off on the M5-M6 route ,so a southern softy can make it in to Chester on Friday morning :thumb:

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
hi. i must agree shell island is a wonderful place,great location,superb views and great beach,only complaint is no hook up and probably never will be,and the shower block and toilets leave a lot to be desired. also been a few problems with theft from vans in the past thanks to a few undesirables. gets very busy at weekends and bank holidays.that said,it is a great place to be:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sounds lovely. I was charged £19 for one night on a New Forest site AND had to put 20ps in the lukewarm shower!!!

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Did they offer you the £9 per night because you are a regular. Website indicates £18 per night (unless I missed something)

Steve

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Did they offer you the £9 per night because you are a regular. Website indicates £18 per night (unless I missed something)

Steve

3 seperate nights over 18 months, no not a regular - prices are half list price until Easter, then same again 'til Summer.

I didn't know about the offer until I turned up (didn't book) - wasn't advertised, they could have easily charged me 'normal price'.

I was told that they would rather charge less than have empty pitches.

The site really is 5 star - immaculate site and facilities, secure, CCTV, friendly staff - if anything it is too perfect - if you are interested give them a call:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We usually tour, staying just a night then move on. The only place we keep going back to is Trawsdir in Barmouth, Wales. If anyone can tell me of a better site, please tell.

Next to a farm on a hillside overlooking the sea, cheerful wardens, the best laid out site, still looks brand new - Radio 2 in the toilets! - No clubhouse or pool - just a first class site:thumb:

Stayed there last night - £9 inc EHU ! - half price until Easter, then half price 'til Summer.:thumb:

www.trawsdir.co.uk

Cant see where it is £9 on the site , am I missing something?

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

If you look on their Price List on the Website it says 50% off on 'red' dates.

We only found out about discount when we turned up - it's worth full price anyway:thumb:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van

I phoned to book, guy confirmed the price over the phone, then received snailmail confirmation a couple of days later.

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
http://www.trawsdir.co.uk

Just had 4 nights on this site on the half price deal, in fact for two nights we were the only guests on there! Whats it like? Really good. Its well managed by Keith and Lynne, whoever owns it has invested a lot of money in making sure its fitted out to a high standard. I would suspect the site is very busy later in the season, so I personally would only visit out of season. But if you are travelling with families its ideal. Very secure, full CCTV, fob system on the site entry/exit barriers and shower blocks.

The M/H pitches are predominantly sea facing. All gravel hard standing with 16 amp EHU, fresh water and a grey waste drain on each pitch. They can also cater for RV's. There's an excellent dog walking area, which is very large and secure, so the mutt can be off the lead. The beach is about 7-10 mins walk. If you know this part of wales you will know how deserted the beaches are, so great for walking.

The toilet/shower blocks are immaculate, loads of hot water, piped radio 2, decent handryers ect. The only negative is the 30 sec timer on the showers!

Could not get 3g on my 3 all you can eat data package, only GSM. Closer to Barmouth you will start to pick it up. There is internet on site, not brilliant though, emails and stuff only. SWMBO has o2, same problem.

Overall a really positive experience. Just chilled out for 4 days, after a weekend from hell with the snow, this was just what we needed. The next 50% reduction period is 1st June - 18 Jul(check with the site to confirm).

Jmn

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
£9 a night... and that is a bargain?

That looks like £63 a week to me!

I can't see the UK as a poor country. :winky: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

That is pretty resonable but some of the prices on sites i have seen are out of this world , I am on £125 a week pension and people think that £40 a night is cheap, wheres that leave me

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
If you do choose to visit this site or nearby, consider visiting the cemetery in Llanaber. It has, I believe, the most beautiful position in Wales.

In the cemetery is the grave of Lance Corporal Thomas Keys, killed in Iraq with five of his Military Police colleagues when a mob set upon them. They had insufficient ammunition to protect themselves.

There is a bench dedicated to his memory and I rested there a while. I found it very moving.

Steve

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
If you do choose to visit this site or nearby, consider visiting the cemetery in Llanaber. It has, I believe, the most beautiful position in Wales.

In the cemetery is the grave of Lance Corporal Thomas Keys, killed in Iraq with five of his Military Police colleagues when a mob set upon them. They had insufficient ammunition to protect themselves.

There is a bench dedicated to his memory and I rested there a while. I found it very moving.

Bugger! we walked past it, It did cross my mind to go in and have a look around, I was thinking more about WW1 & 2 graves, but continued walking. The missus commented that all the headstones were facing away from the sea. Lovely spot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back