Oh Dear, Is My Trusty Old Kindle History? (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The Kindle, like a Fray Bentos pie, is perfectly suited to Motorhoming.

Store a thousand books (on the Kindle, not a pie) in your van without taking up the space needed for one paperback.

Read for hours without getting aching arms.

Sit outside in the sun reading without worrying about glare on the screen.

As a few of you might know, I tend not to do much sitting outside in the sun so I don't really use the anti-glare facility much and today I eventually got around to loading the (free) Kindle app. on my new super, duper, all bells and whistles, God how I love it, Android Jelly Bean driven (4.1) Galaxy Note 2 (GN2 to geeks like me).

Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! (The touch screen makes it even easier to use than the Kindle itself.)

As I have allowed myself to fall into Google's clutches (after decades of refusing to become an Apple lacky) I am starting to marvel at the link up between applications...

I press a button on the GN2 and ask verbally "where am I?" and up comes a map on the screen showing exactly where I am. After loading the Kindle software and logging in to my account, it opened the book I was reading on the page I had reached!

You might think I am getting a bit carried away with this staggering device and you would be right, but I am nowhere as bad as a certain "LucidMike78" who publishes daily a short video tutorial teaching users stuff about the GN2 on YouTube.

Anyone who has this device is recommended to check these videos out... there are now over a hundred of them... but beware... it becomes addictive.

If any motorhomer is looking for a device which you can slip into your pocket and on which you can...

surf Motorhome Fun and all the other websites...

watch videos, TV and the Iplayer...

listen to the radio and your music collection...

take and edit photos (8 mega pixels) and videos...

play games either on your own or against the world via the web...

read and write documents and spread sheets (either by typing, hand writing or speaking)...

video or voice call your friends around the world by Skype (or similar)...

read books and newspapers (Daily Ma*l doesn't seem to work)...

draw and/or paint pictures..

navigate you to places... find restaurants, shops, museums, cinemas, theatres (and Burger Kings)...

and so much, much, much more then I recommend the Galaxy Note 2.

Small(ish) with a big(ish) screen and charges without the need for inverters, generators or EHUs.

Oh... one more thing... you can make and receive phone calls on it too...

The GN2 ROOLS...

JJ:Cool:

Last edited:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I think I must be old-fashioned.

A couple of sayings from years ago come to mind whenever I hear of gadgets that can do everything - "Jack of all trades, master of none" and "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"

What happens if they break or go missing? :Eeek:

If I want to read a book, I'll use my e-reader (or indeed a book:Doh:) - if I want to make a phone call, I'll use a phone - if I want to listen to music, I'll use my MP3 player or Internet radio - if I want to know where I'm going, I'll use a map (remember them:thumb:) or, occasionally, a sat-nav.

Each to their own, I suppose. I'll just remain old-fashioned and happy:Smile:

Phil

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh JJ, had me worried there, thought the Kindle had gone on the blink, sounds as if its doing what you wanted it to, good when a plan comes together :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Good for you Phil... you are a man after my own heart!

I hold exactly the same view.

For sat nav in the van I use a TomTom.

but on foot/bicycle/Solex... the GN2 is useful... don't have the Tomtom in my pocket.

I have a dvd player but what a faff... cables, chargers, remote control. So I use my laptop... but I don't go everywhere with my laptop and I don't take it to bed... last night I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so I watched some YouTube vids on the GN2 which I do take to bed!!!

You are right about using the proper thing for the job and I will not get rid of any of my other devices... you can never have too many gadgets!

I don't agree about the maps though... can't carry all the A to Zs of all the Cities in Europe in your pocket...

(By the way Phil, I live in a van not a house, in a van it is heavy and space consuming to carry books and maps... lol)

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
does it come complete with magnifying glass and vouchers for the opticians, oh and a bank loan to buy it as well

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
[HI]does it come complete with magnifying glass and vouchers for the opticians[/HI], oh and a bank loan to buy it as well

Roger... the GN2 screen is hardly much smaller than the Kindle... (have you seen one?).

No bank loan needed for purchase... just careful managing of the family fortune and not throwing money away on frivolous things like campsites (tarmac carparks) or clothes or drink. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I remember people raving about the Wankel rotary engines.

I also believe that Grundid offered a competent video system but this was outsold by the Betamax offering.

But there's no harm in being quirky.

Must dash I'm off to the TVR showroom!

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I also believe that Grundid offered a competent video system but this was outsold by the Betamax offering.

But there's no harm in being quirky.

Must dash I'm off to the TVR showroom!

So Sidney, are you using a box camera now or are you still a pinhole camera disciple? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

None of this "quirky" digital stuff for you... (it will never catch on will it?) :winky:

Can't stop... got to get a pen and write on a piece of paper and put the paper into another bit of folded paper and stick a sticky square on the front and find a metal box in a street somewhere and feed it with the result and in five days my daughter will have news from me...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PS. I wanted one so very badly but Dad was worried about a car named Trevor!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Yeah right ....soon you'll tell us it's making coffee too!!:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Errrr....and you say it can make phone calls too??? ...Well I can't remember having had a phone call from you lately:Angry:

Sorry my Prince , someone has to be on the devil's side sometimes... I'll stand by God 's side this time:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Your Darling Princess:Cool: (do remember this after you read this post:Blush:)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Store a thousand books (on the Kindle, not a pie) in your van without taking up the space needed for one paperback.

As a few of you might know, I tend not to do much sitting outside in the sun so I don't really use the anti-glare facility much and today I eventually got around to loading the (free) Kindle app. on my new super, duper, all bells and whistles, God how I love it, Android Jelly Bean driven (4.1) Galaxy Note 2 (GN2 to geeks like me).

Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! (The touch screen makes it even easier to use than the Kindle itself.)

As I have allowed myself to fall into Google's clutches (after decades of refusing to become an Apple lacky) I am starting to marvel at the link up between applications...

I press a button on the GN2 and ask verbally "where am I?" and up comes a map on the screen showing exactly where I am. After loading the Kindle software and logging in to my account, it opened the book I was reading on the page I had reached!

You might think I am getting a bit carried away with this staggering device and you would be right, but I am nowhere as bad as a certain "LucidMike78" who publishes daily a short video tutorial teaching users stuff about the GN2 on YouTube.

Anyone who has this device is recommended to check these videos out... there are now over a hundred of them... but beware... it becomes addictive.

If any motorhomer is looking for a device which you can slip into your pocket and on which you can...

read and write documents and spread sheets (either by typing, hand writing or speaking)...

navigate you to places... find restaurants, shops, museums, cinemas, theatres (and Burger Kings)...

Small(ish) with a big(ish) screen and charges without the need for inverters, generators or EHUs.

The GN2 ROOLS...

Seeing as it does all that

The big question is

Will it help you win

the funsters quiz tonight
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:Blush::Blush::Blush:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
So Sidney, are you using a box camera now or are you still a pinhole camera disciple? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

None of this "quirky" digital stuff for you... (it will never catch on will it?) :winky:

On a slightly more serious note I did receive a Kindle as a Valentines gift. Up until then I have used the 4th Gen Kindle and found it pretty good. The new beast (Kindle Paperwhite) has a backlit e-ink touch screen. It is prime beef compared with the Findus lasagne of my old 4th gen. It features an intuitive user interface missing from previous models and a nice easy grip rubberised case.

On the subject of Frey Bentos did you know they mix up the ingredients in their pies? There's a surprisingly high percentage of chicken in the beef pie? (or was it the other way round) :Smile:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Can't afford to call you Princess... I am saving up for the 64 gigabyte memory card and the roll up external keyboard :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Phewwww... I thought you were saving to buy a big screen to watch some people ... all in blue running after some funny shaped ball ... (only the egg shape is a valid one to me)... so somehow it's a good piece of news::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Froggy Frankie

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I got a kindle when they first came out. It is brilliant. My wife got a tablet sometime ago and uses it a lot. This week she got a Kindle. Reading on a tablet is fine, the Kindle is better though it doesn't have a backlit screen. We don't read in the dark.

Kindle rules, OK.

Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I remember driving the first NSU one when it came into the country, a demo day at a hotel in Burnley - but I don't recall anything about the experience. It must have been that impressive.

I seem to recall VW bought it, chucked out the Wankel and created the first Passat.

It's sad when such a good idea turns out not to be.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

The GN2 ROOLS...

I am already sold and looking forward to starting to save up for one.
Got MOT on tuesday, also have to replace the rear suspension, replace the oil sump and get a new fridge first though:shout:.... But after that it is top of my list :thumb:.

Your recommendation was what put me over the top.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I remember driving the first NSU one when it came into the country, a demo day at a hotel in Burnley - but I don't recall anything about the experience. It must have been that impressive.

I seem to recall VW bought it, chucked out the Wankel and created the first Passat.

It's sad when such a good idea turns out not to be.

I believe high wear, and poor fuel efficiency was the problem. But it was common sense to try and change from an upitty downiddy motion to a roundy roundy motion :winky:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The Galaxy Note 2 is a device that I consider highly suitable for motorhomers.

The Wankel engine isn't nor are cars with it fitted... :winky:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I had to smile at my ignorance inspired by your post jj I thought that sounds like a good phone/gadget wonder what it looks like so looked up on the net and realize its the same as my phone issued by my company for us to use:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ...................I hate it ! too big for slipping into my top pocket and Ive broke one already:Doh: horses for courses I guess:thumb::RollEyes:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Never understood why anyone would want to have a phone that is so big. We had to put up with them in the 80s but things have moved on since then.
I suppose a tablet is useful for many things, but hopeless as a phone.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
JJ I have a few sensible questions for a change:ROFLMAO:

about how much data do you need for one of these phones a month (I know it depends on how much you use it but you must have some idea)?

Does this display like a laptop does when on the internet or does it display a mobile type page?

is the screen nice and easy to read?

thank you :thumb:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never understood why anyone would want to have a phone that is so big. We had to put up with them in the 80s but things have moved on since then.
I suppose a tablet is useful for many things, but hopeless as a phone.

You are so right.

If you only use your "phone" for making calls you definitely don't want (or need) a GN2.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Oh Dear, Is My Trusty Old Kindle History?

Get as excited as you like but wife was having an easier time reading on a Kindle than I was on the shiny screen tablet.

But for a Creature Of The Dark, not such a problem.

I remember trudging around with A Phone, A Computer, An Electronic Diary. Ruined the cut of my suit. So I really appreciate today's technology.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
JJ I have a few sensible questions for a change:ROFLMAO:

about how much data do you need for one of these phones a month (I know it depends on how much you use it but you must have some idea)?

Does this display like a laptop does when on the internet or does it display a mobile type page?

is the screen nice and easy to read?

thank you :thumb:

I have my mobile phone data disabled.

I use a Vodafone mi-fi on an "unlimited" data contract.

This allows me 15 gigs a month before they "throttle" me (which reduces me to surfing and radio listening only).

But... I am often in places where there is free wi-fi and then I use that and keep my own
connection for when there is no alternative.

I would not want one of these phablets if I was too restricted in data use... I would miss out on all the fun! (By the way... it keeps track of your data use so you have a fairly good idea of how you are getting on each month.)

You choose how you want to view a website... for example the BBC has a mobile website but you can also use the normal site if you prefer. I always use the Man City normal webpage because I know where everything is... :winky:

To me the screen is unbelievably sharp and clear. If you really are interested there are loads and loads of reviews and videos online to check it out. I watched and read hundreds of them before I made up my mind.

With the S pen you can do things you simply can't do on other "phones". Write hand written comments on photos... draw "thought bubbles" with witty thoughts in them... run it along the timeline of a video you are watching and see thumbnails of the scenes so if you are looking for a certain point in the film it is easy...

Hope this helps...

PS. here is a video review... so enthusiastic he might be a Galaxy employee!!! but you can see it working...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBkY3vg14JM"]Why The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Is Better Than Your Phone *If you don't have one* [3D UI] - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Thanks JJ I knew you would have done a lot of research that is why I asked you:winky:

I keep saying I need a new phone but wonder if I would use all the bells and whistles I probably would if they are easy to get used to

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
wonder if I would use all the bells and whistles

You'll never use all, just too many, but you just keep finding new things you can do with them. Android is as easy as it gets but don't expect overnight success, there is a lot to learn and few instructions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back