Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
OK What should should I expect?

On Friday last week I had the motorhome booked in to a main Peugeot dealer,who will remain nameless at present, for the first MoT test and a service.

Prior to making the booking I had at least 3 telephone conversations with various members of staff including the commercial service manager, giving the exact measurements of the vehicle, length, weight, height & wheelbase to confirm they could cope with it on their lift each time being assured "no problem".

So Friday morning last week we arrived at their premises 26 miles from home before 0800 and left it with them only to get a phone call 1/2 hour later to say they can't do the work because it won't fit on their lift ...... I wasn't happy!

I took the m/h away and said I would be in touch for some compensation.

Once home I called and spoke with the Operations Director of the company who after various further phone calls has kindly offered "as a good will gesture" to cover my diesel fuel.

My feeling is that they should compensate me for my wasted time as well as the fuel used on the wasted trip of over 50 miles.

This he wants to cover with some discount on servicing one of our cars but I don't want to take the cars to them as I have lost confidence in the company, this being the second time they have let us down in the same way and the reason I was so explicit over the vehicle dimensions.

Your advice please.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I would take the fuel offer & call it a day, life's too short :winky:

Then find another garage for future business.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
OK What should should I expect?

On Friday last week I had the motorhome booked in to a main Peugeot dealer,who will remain nameless at present, for the first MoT test and a service.

Prior to making the booking I had at least 3 telephone conversations with various members of staff including the commercial service manager, giving the exact measurements of the vehicle, length, weight, height & wheelbase to confirm they could cope with it on their lift each time being assured "no problem".

So Friday morning last week we arrived at their premises 26 miles from home before 0800 and left it with them only to get a phone call 1/2 hour later to say they can't do the work because it won't fit on their lift ...... I wasn't happy!

I took the m/h away and said I would be in touch for some compensation.

Once home I called and spoke with the Operations Director of the company who after various further phone calls has kindly offered "as a good will gesture" to [HI]cover my diesel fuel.
[/HI]
My feeling is that they should compensate me for my wasted time as well as the fuel used on the wasted trip of over 50 miles.

This he wants to cover with some discount on servicing one of our cars but I don't want to take the cars to them as I have lost confidence in the company, this being the second time they have let us down in the same way and the reason I was so explicit over the vehicle dimensions.

Your advice please.

Take the money and run never to return

:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I would take the fuel offer & call it a day, life's too short :winky:

Then find another garage for future business.

Yup, I'd say go with simbadog's view. I sympathise with you and would feel the same, but it will only eat you up if you spend too much time seeking compensation and then getting none (!).

Put it down to being another thread in life's rich tapestry, then move on :Smile:

:Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Shame you did not communicate by email Brian - then you would have something in writing. As it is word of mouth is difficult to prove as I have found to my own cost with a garage in the past.

I certainly would not allow them to service another vehicle - I am pretty certain they would find something wrong that would cover the discount they would be offering. :Eeek:

Sad to say IMHO unless they are going to offer queens heads in your hand you may well end up with nothing.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am with the others, be grateful for something back, I hope it did not delay a trip away, move on, there will be a reason for this happening. David

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It is just one of life's hurdles sent to try us take what is on offer never to return

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There is one bonus, the run out will have done the van good and charged its batteries. BUSBY.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
You are not alone with poor service from Peugeot dealers. The first service and MOT I had locally in June 2011 was fine, no problems with access etc.

This time last year I called them to see if they could deal with a recall notice I'd had from Peugeot UK. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Just one problem, I'm attending hospital on and off and shouldn't be sitting around a showroom at the moment so could you collect and return the vehicle, or I can leave it for a few months as I won't be going anywhere for a while?

Receptionist: No problem, we can do that any day this week.

Me: I'm at the hospital Wednesday, perhaps you could collect Thursday so I'm here to get the locks off and point it in the right direction?

Receptionist: Yes we can be there at 9.00, it won't take us long as we'll do any work another day after ordering any necessary parts.

Thursday arrives and goes, at 2.00 pm I phone to see where they are.

Me: You were due to collect my motorhome this morning, was there a problem?

Receptionist: We don't collect vehicles Sir, what was your name again?

Receptionist: Oh yes, there is some paperwork on the desk, just a minute. It says we're supposed to collect from the hospital but we don't collect vehicles from customers.

Me: Well I was assured you could when I booked it in on Monday, and where on earth would you have collected it from the hospital, you have my address on record as you've serviced the van before?

Receptionist: There's nothing on the job sheet to say where Sir but I can only repeat that we don't collect vehicles, it would tie up 2 drivers for too long.

Me: I only live on the edge of town, I could be there in no more than 10 minutes, so who took my call and why was I told you would collect?

Receptionist: I don't know Sir, it was Tracey on Monday and she's on a training course today, would you like to book the car in again?

Me: It's a pity Tracey didn't go on a training course before you let her loose on Service Reception on a Monday morning and no I don't want to book it in again. Didn't it occur to you to query a job sheet that was on the desk instead of leaving it laying there all day?

Well all receptionist said was a repeat of her "we don't collect vehicles" speech and the conversation petered out a bit after that.

3 weeks later I took the motorhome to Taylors of Boston, a 60 mile round trip which the van needed anyway and they did the inspection for me. They got the van back for its MOT and service later that summer and did an excellent job. In fact they went out of there way to tell me, somewhat sheepishly, that the van had been damaged by a white van man whilst parked outside the service bay and they would carry out the necessary repairs as the guy didn't stop and it was their responsibility. I believe they are a family run dealership judging by the name of the Tech guy and the way he took control of the situation in the service department. There are some good dealerships around :thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
WE have been back time and time again for work that was supposed to have been done by dealers and that was the one that sold us the van and no deisel compensation no inconvenience compensation, nothing its like getting blood out of a stone.
As said, I would cut and run but go elsewhere for any other work.
Its a minefield trying to find someone decent to do your work.
There are a few good dealers on here and I am going to use johns cross next time , he gets good reviews but don't know if he does services and MOT on vehicles?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Take the money for the diesel, never go there again, and leave it at that.:thumb:

I think this "Compensation" culture has just gone mad.
No one got hurt, you were just inconvenienced, life can be frustrating at times.

You will never get that time back whatever they offer, so take the diesel cash, move on and forget about it. As it's the second time they have let you down, do not even consider giving them an opportunity for a third..

Live for today and plan for tomorrow, and do not waste any more time worrying about what happened yesterday. It's not that important.:Smile:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Just to say that we had a problem getting our mini-bus mot'd a couple of years back at work. I sent it down to Simonds for the MOT - any repairs were done elsewhere, but it's a thought? I believe the council workshops will also do a MOT on privately owned vehicles.

I don't know what length etc. your mh is, but I had mine done at Gorse Motors in Thetford last month. Mine is 6.8 m x 2.2 x 2.8 - was a squeeze through the door, and as I've a roof box on top they took good care not too go too high on the ramp, but no problem doing it or fixing it. First class service from the guys there. £39.99 it cost me!

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
OK many thanks to all that have replied ...... I have now had the work successfully completed at T.E. Dye in Attleborough where they have a pit and can cope with almost any length of vehicle for both MOT and servicing.

As recommended by the majority I shall not pursue the Peugeot/Ford dealers in Norwich for any form of repayment for their inefficiency and lack of customer care.... as said life is too short.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just to say that we had a problem getting our mini-bus mot'd a couple of years back at work. I sent it down to Simonds for the MOT - any repairs were done elsewhere, but it's a thought? I believe the council workshops will also do a MOT on privately owned vehicles.

I don't know what length etc. your mh is, but I had mine done at Gorse Motors in Thetford last month. Mine is 6.8 m x 2.2 x 2.8 - was a squeeze through the door, and as I've a roof box on top they took good care not too go too high on the ramp, but no problem doing it or fixing it. First class service from the guys there. £39.99 it cost me!

The problem in my case was down to weight (4250Kg) and wheelbase (4.6M) that their ramps could not take. My particular gripe was the fact that I had checked with them the exact measurements and had been assured they could manage the work.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Many years ago I worked for a Company and there attitude was the second a customer said "I'll never use your company again" the door was slammed!

Negotiation and further business is often the way to resolve a difficult situation. You'll get more value and be more valued by a complimentary service than throwing your toys out the pram and telling them their idiots and you'll never use them again. You don't leave them much room for wanting to resolve the issue.

I am leaving this morning to go to a motorhome show, without the Van Bitz exhibition unit. I was screaming and shouting in the office when we were told, but had to calm down, formulate plan "B" and move on otherwise I would still be in my office foaming at the mouth.

Eddie

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

After the suspected unsuitable lifting gear incident at a certain dealer (who shall remain nameless but who has featured in a lengthy post very recently), I only trust truck garages to do work on my van. Not only do they have 'big boys' lifting gear but their prices are more reasonable. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back