Selling motorhome on Brokerage. (1 Viewer)

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
A friend of ours is wanting to sell his motorhome, for various reasons, not purchasing another. It is a one owner 2004 model and has been well cared for. We thought of Oaktree as they used to offer good brokerage terms, but they now seem to be rather greedy. Could any one recommend another company. It would need to be able to display it on their premises. I have found one Stewart Longton, but have no knowledge of them, though their web sites reads okay. I thought a lot of companies used to do it, but can't seem to find any at present. Advice would be appreciated
Peter

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would try ebay first , might just get a good deal , right time of the year

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Take very great care with brokerage. I once bought an RV through a well known RV dealership who sold it on brokerage and they not only took a big lump for selling it, they told the owner it had sold for 7K less than it did :Angry:. Good work if you can get it as they say.
It was only when they saw the RV and new owner that they found out about the scam. They asked how much was paid, and it all came to light.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
If that's Stewart Longton in Chorley, we popped in there yesterday, and spent a good 20 minutes looking around. Not once did anyone come to see if we were a "live" customer/buyer. Nearly all the motorhomes were locked, with a note on the door advising what key number to ask for if you wanted to look inside. Even using their loos, no one seemed the slightest bit interested.

Hope this helps.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I tried two different Brokers, God it was just like a scene from Minder in the 80's, what do you want for it? This followed by a sharp intake of breath and then, it's the wrong time of year, this model doesn't sell, the markets flat right now, you name it, all the superlatives came out, I took the trouble to advertise privately and got £6k better than their best offers, if you price it right and you can actually get someone to view, it will sell.:thumb:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Nearly all the motorhomes were locked, with a note on the door advising what key number to ask for if you wanted to look inside..

Now that really winds me up. I can understand there will always be a security aspect to contend with. But that can be easily overcome by having salespersons, visible on the shop floor. I tend to walk away and look elsewhere.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think Peter @ JCM SELLS ON COMISSION ?
The only dealings I have had is when I gave a local dealer to sell what was to me a 6k van (I had 5k in it) he stuck it on his forecourt for 13k :Eeek::Eeek:needless to say he did not sell it ,I found a buyer :winky:
Then I stuck another in front bit of the local caravan storage place and he said give him a good drink :thumb: He found a buyer for the asking price stright away -basicaly sold it for me,he showed and watched people in the van :winky: He was more than happy with 500 quid.
::bigsmile:
terry
edit forgot to say I would try ebay with the minimum he will take as the starting bid or reserve/ things start to move now

Last edited:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Now that really winds me up. I can understand there will always be a security aspect to contend with. But that can be easily overcome by having salespersons, visible on the shop floor. I tend to walk away and look elsewhere.

We walked away and looked elsewhere..... :winky:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
A couple of years ago we sold an Autotrail through Todds at Lostock Hall nr Preston, 10percent commission, plus they had the van serviced and m.o.t'd (at our cost) and sold the van within a week. Very happy with service, only thing we didn't like was that they take the fitted extras- rev camera, tune-up box and a couple of other things off and if the new owner didn't want them, they binned them!, so if your friend goes down this route, find out or take the extras off first. The reason given was that unless fitted by themselves they wouldn't guarantee them to be in GWO. Fair enough I suppose.
Overall we were happy with the deal, though. Got us a good price too.
Hope this helps, Cheers, Dave:thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I believe, johns cross do it on a fixed price basis, best have a word with them, at least they are trusted.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Your welcome to have a chat to Andy on 01-580-881288 to see if he thinks he can sell it for you.

I charge £3000 plus Vat and any rectification/service needed plus the cust of a warranty

It must be insured by the owner as it is not our property and will be valeted and prepared and on our forecourt just like our own vans, p/x and finance will be offered to any prospective purchaser etc

Payment is by direct transfer into the sellers bank account as soon as we receive cleared funds in payment.

Peter

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
A good clean van will sell at the right price on ebay use a classified add its a lot cheaper and when you sell just take a small deposit through paypal or cash up front.You will not sell to someone unless they view it first or they will be timewasters

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A good clean van will sell at the right price on ebay use a classified add its a lot cheaper and when you sell just take a small deposit through paypal or cash up front.You will not sell to someone unless they view it first or they will be timewasters

Not necessarily true. I have bought 4 motorhomes, 2 boats and countless cars through ebay, all unseen. There are some people that there word is there bond.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back