Nearly Time For the First Trip (France) (1 Viewer)

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Well its only two weeks away for our first trip to France in the van. Thanks to all that gave some advice on where to go which essentially get to Dunkirk and turn right.

Ive bought the triangles, hi viz, GB sticker, all the bits so hope Im covered.

My next question is in the way of documents

Driving license both parts
Passports
Insurance documents

Is there anything else anybody can think of ?

Oh one other thing with my MIFI for WIFI is it best just to buy a sim there ?

Also paying for Aires are they cash card or a bit of both ?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Vehicle Registration Document

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Many Aires are entry by Card only and there seem to be less and less Aires where someone comes round in the morning collecting cash - Equihem Plage near Boulogne is one.

There are two reasons why cash collection is falling.

One reason is because so many Motorhomes arrive late at night, use as many facilities as possible and then b*gger off at the crack of dawn (Honfleur is famous for this type of attitude) while the honest ones have to pay for the Aire provided by the local town or village.

The second is having to employ someone to collect the money and, possibly, some may not be as honest as others.

Headlight deflectors are supposed to be fitted, breakdown documents required, MOT Certificate, First Aid kit - and a decent bottle opener is essential.

Pdf Check list below …....

:france::france::france:

Attachments

• Holiday Check List 3.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 32

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well its only two weeks away for our first trip to France in the van. Thanks to all that gave some advice on where to go which essentially get to Dunkirk and turn right.

Ive bought the triangles, hi viz, GB sticker, all the bits so hope Im covered.

My next question is in the way of documents

Driving license both parts
Passports
Insurance documents

Is there anything else anybody can think of ?

Oh one other thing with my MIFI for WIFI is it best just to buy a sim there ?

Also paying for Aires are they cash card or a bit of both ?

We were told by our neighbours to carry our Carte Gris while driving in France... with the rest of our documents......
The Carte Gris is the same as a logbook in the UK…….As this official form has a lot of information about your vehicle...
I am not sure if it is compulsory…Frankie may know for sure
You could take a copy of your logbook …if they will accept that

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Take along photocopies of all the vehicle documents & passports etc.
Contact tel numbers for bank credit/debit cards in case of loss.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Three weeks tomorrow we are coming across to France. Will look out for you.
Look out for our Bessacarr

Lin:thumb:

Last edited:

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
We always scan all of our documents & cards and email to ourselves (yes, this could be risky for internet theft, but so is carrying everything in bag/vehicle) then if there is a problem we can access & print from anywhere. Kids know where we keep passwords for internet, so if we had an accident they would know everything they might need.
Also a useful tip if you loose your camera is to take a picture of your business card asking whoever finds returns SD card and pictures if not the camera and leave as first picture in camera. You might be lucky and they return the camera :Smile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Many Aires are entry by Card only and there seem to be less and less Aires where someone comes round in the morning collecting cash - Equihem Plage near Boulogne is one.

There are two reasons why cash collection is falling.

One reason is because so many Motorhomes arrive late at night, use as many facilities as possible and then b*gger off at the crack of dawn (Honfleur is famous for this type of attitude) while the honest ones have to pay for the Aire provided by the local town or village.

The second is having to employ someone to collect the money and, possibly, some may not be as honest as others.

Headlight deflectors are supposed to be fitted, breakdown documents required, MOT Certificate, First Aid kit - and a decent bottle opener is essential.

Pdf Check list below …....

Thanks for this useful check list. Had one years ago when I tugged. I never left home unless all ticked, but also things like GAS! key at neighbours, note for milkman, wetsuit etc.
We had small van once and 2 boys so wife packed our clothes in suitcase. Drove the 328 miles to Cornwall, pitched up and fancied a shower. Towel in suitcase I'm told, oh dear, no need to look as know I know it wasn't put in caravan or boot of car! So Friday night and no clothes. Ring friend Saturday morning, he gets key from neighbour and he puts suitcase on Red-Star to arrive 8pm Monday at Truro Railway Station.
We got bigger 'van and of course it was all stowed as now with MH.
A friend left home on a hot summers evening to drive down with us.
He had nothing but shirts and being quite "rotund" I had nothing that would fit him when those cool evening breezes arrived.

Your list is good but not complete, add wife and dog, although dog watches us loading and sat in car or caravan, now sits in motorhome and won't come out, he ensures he doesn't get left behind.
Good luck DUBIOUSP and enjoy France. We had our 1st trip last year and itching to get there again.
ps Want some cheap unused breathalysers??

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
One other thing that you should have done long before you take the MH anywhere on holiday is get it weighed and see how much spare payload you have.

If you are over the weight 'limit' and get stopped by Mr / Monsieur Plod you may have to pay a fine or leave the wife and/or dog behind to reduce the weight.

Or perhaps she/they might leave you behind!

If you do take a dog abroad please let me know which Vet you use for the Pet Passport scheme on the way back to the UK.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As already suggested we always photo copy all documents and hide them somewhere in the mh, also put numbers in phone just incase mh is stolen :ROFLMAO:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
We were told by our neighbours to carry our Carte Gris while driving in France... with the rest of our documents......
The Carte Gris is the same as a logbook in the UK…….As this official form has a lot of information about your vehicle...
I am not sure if it is compulsory…Frankie may know for sure
You could take a copy of your logbook …if they will accept that

If you drive a French registered vehicle you must carry your Carte Gris. Current insurance is shown by your green card fixed to the windscreen.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
One other thing that you should have done long before you take the MH anywhere on holiday is get it weighed and see how much spare payload you have.

If you are over the weight 'limit' and get stopped by Mr / Monsieur Plod you may have to pay a fine or leave the wife and/or dog behind to reduce the weight.

Or perhaps she/they might leave you behind!

[HI]If you do take a dog abroad please let me know which Vet you use for the Pet Passport scheme on the way back to the UK.[/HI]

An extract from my post 5/11/12 of my 1st experience of taking a dog to France.

The vet is in Calais, I was told by a French lady walking her dog where to go to. Being France you can park outside!! even though it is just 1 km from Calaid sea-front aire which overlooks harbour and beach.
I just walked in, sat and waited and was attended to without an appointment or even the need to speak, she knew why!
Naturally I recommend them and the details are as follows:

Clinique Veterinaire Le Goeland, 1148 Boulevard du General de Gaulle, 62100 Calais TEL: 03 21 34 77 39

The address will come up on Google earth using the address omitting 62100. It is a bungalow with practise on ground floor.

They are open 0830 to 1900 Monday to Friday with lunch from 1200 to 1400. Saturdays open 0900 to 1200.

Best to arrive an hour or more before closing in case they are busy else simple. Charge was 30 euros.

At port, check-in passed me chip reader to scan the dog and checked details on passport. She issued me with certificate to travel and job done.

All very simple, saw vet Friday, travelled to UK Monday.

Assuming your dog is chipped already, it really is simple.

I was surprised when someone spoke to me in English one day, I asked "how did you know I was English?" I saw you clear up your dog's poo she said, the French don't bother she told me!

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
First Trip to France

Wishing you all the very best 'bon voyage' won't be far behind you with our first trip we set sail Newhaven/Dieppe 9th April and like you have a list of all the items required did you get your ACSI CampingCard for low season discounts.We have booked into two sites using the website even if you haven't its still well worth viewing the website to checkout some of the 'campsites' which appear well reviewed and scored accordingly and very informative route planners.

Don't forget the old reverse polarity plug-in tester and adaptor :Smile::Smile:

My secret weapon is the better half is French so I will deploy her where necessary lol

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Not all card-operated ticket machines/barriers at aires accept foreign cards, so build up a stash of Euro coins as soon as you can.

Probably stating the obvious, but make sure you tell your bank to authorise your cards for foreign use. We also found out too late that our shiny new Santander Zero cards (no exchange fees) wouldn't work abroad until they'd been activated in the UK. Should have read the small print.

A Camping Card International (£5 from the CCC) will get you discount on some campsites.

Bon Voyage.

Last edited:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
One very important thing that has not yet been mentioned is your 'European Health Insurance Card (the old E111). Even if you are using a private health insurance to seek medical assistance many of these are now including small print stating that you must produce and use this to the doctor who treats you. They then pick up any extras that the EHIC does not cover. They are free to get and each person travelling needs their own. You can apply online at http://www.nhs-e111-ehic.org.uk/?gclid=CP-Bj6He37UCFYfJtAodtjQA6Q
If you already have them check the expiry date because many of the ones who got them when they first came out have expired and they do not send out reminders
We are also heading South in a couple of weeks, but we will be routing via Germany, should be down in Spain for April and the Spring blossom

Last edited:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Larby – thanks for the updated French Vet information.

The Calais Vet is already on my French Vet List but updated information is very welcome.

The Vet charged €25 for a dog earlier in the year and they appear to have increased their prices.

I'm don't think Calais Vets are as popular as they were now the Defra 5 day Pet Passport rule is in use and you can be almost anywhere in Europe and still make it back to the Ferry ports with time to spare.

I would post a Pdf document of the Calais Vet with photos, map and much more info (and about 100 more Vets throughout France and Europe) but the document size is too large (224kb) for these forums.

Here is a Google Map link to the recommended Vets in Europe - http://goo.gl/maps/chPO9

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Try http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/ for your internet connection and calls, we use them, cheap and very good coverage as well as being English speaking.

THANKS FOR THIS POST WE ARE GOING ON THE 25TH MARCH AND HAD FORGOTTEN THE BEAM BENDERS, oops sorry for shouting.
We are going for 3 months and have all the stuff required except these and we are not getting the breathalizers as they are now not required so it seems.
Insurance is a pain getting but we are getting there for that as well.
This is only our second time to France and we cant wait either....so much planning phew!!!
And we are ordering this after researching this for internet abroad, we have an android smartphone and they do special plans for that with 1gb use data and reasonable calls.

http://www.0044.co.uk/france/sim-card-pay-monthly.htm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back