LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We set off this week for some RnR in Benidorm. I have worked out that with my long range fuel tanks I can get to Andorra from home on my bio fuel. If I fill up in Andorra with cheap price fuel that will easily get me to Benidorm and back again to Andorra. I can then refuel at Andorra which will get me home. Have not been over Andorra for some years at this time of year so does anyone know what the road situation is like. Am not intending carrying snow chains. It would be advantageous to fill up with LPG in Andorra, what's the situation with that. The difference in going via Andorra mileage wise is less than 50 miles against travelling down to the French coast according to Google.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I have been via Andorra in February and found that the snow was lying on the higher ground but the roads were clear.

Didn't even think about chains.

Spanish side the roads are OK and French side the same, but be aware you almost certainly, will get stopped by Customs on both sides and they may strip search your Motorhome, leaving you to put it all back together again.

Brit. plates on a Motorhome are like a red rag to a bull to customs on both sides as they are expecting you to have loads of tax free tobacco and booze hidden about the vehicle.

Even if they don't stop you at the border into France they also have a checkpoint in the next town down the road.

Pete:Cool:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dave..
When do you expect to hit Benidorm ??
We moving to there on Monday or Tuesday but only staying till Saturday..!!

There are a few funsters already at Villasol, Polar bear and myself will be there as well. Also here at Marjal have met with mike and carol who go there on Wednesday. They also told me Tony garvin and Perri and due there as well !!,

PARTY ,!!,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave..
When do you expect to hit Benidorm ??
We moving to there on Monday or Tuesday but only staying till Saturday..!!

There are a few funsters already at Villasol, Polar bear and myself will be there as well. Also here at Marjal have met with mike and carol who go there on Wednesday. They also told me Tony garvin and Perri and due there as well !!,

PARTY ,!!,

Hi pal, Am expecting to be there sometime on the 12th March. Will be on La Torretta as its traditional for me and I play petanque there most afternoons. I spoke to Sue this morning via PM and said if the weather is no better than it has been over the last few weeks we will head out to Morocco for a month. There will be no difference price wise than paying 400 euros per month to sit in the rain in Spain. If its less than 18c in the sun I will be in Benidorm for a couple of days only.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Looks like we will miss you then by a few days:Sad:

Polarbear is booked on Calais ferry for 14th march and we are going to travel up with him.... Safe trip..... :thumb:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
We set off this week for some RnR in Benidorm. I have worked out that with my long range fuel tanks I can get to Andorra from home on my bio fuel. If I fill up in Andorra with cheap price fuel that will easily get me to Benidorm and back again to Andorra. I can then refuel at Andorra which will get me home. Have not been over Andorra for some years at this time of year so does anyone know what the road situation is like. Am not intending carrying snow chains. It would be advantageous to fill up with LPG in Andorra, what's the situation with that. The difference in going via Andorra mileage wise is less than 50 miles against travelling down to the French coast according to Google.

I live just at the Spanish border close to Figueres, last 2-3 days diabolical snow even on very low hills in this area , unless the LPG. savings are astronomical I would strongly advise using the coastal route as opposed to Andorra. The conditions are far better today about 14 degs here but obviously much colder up there

Alan

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I live just at the Spanish border close to Figueres, last 2-3 days diabolical snow even on very low hills in this area , unless the LPG. savings are astronomical I would strongly advise using the coastal route as opposed to Andorra. The conditions are far better today about 14 degs here but obviously much colder up there

Alan

Hi, Its not the LPG savings am looking for, its the diesel savings. I carry around 235 litres of diesel and if am saving 37 cents per litre going around 45 miles out of my way, that's a saving of almost 87 euros. I would normally run down through the centre of France and pick up the coast around Narbone but with the price of fuel I was thinking of the other route over Andorra. Thanks for the update on the weather down there :thumb:. Although am not taking snow chains, I do have diff lock, but will also be towing a trailer. Decisions,Decisions :Eeek:.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
What a change in the weather.

Benidorm today is fantastic. Hot and no wind. Bootiful:Smile:

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
We are sailing on the 11th and intend to do the Andorra route down to Benidorm, the same as you are Snowbird. This will be weather dependent also. We are after the cheap diesel too. Hope I can pick up a few bottles of whisky, the last time we were there 3 years ago I bought a few bottles of Grants methinks for 5 Euro. :Smile:

If the weather is ok and we do go the Andorra route this will be the first time for us to tour Spain. We are booked into the Orange Grove before Easter then after Easter onto Racco to meet up with some good friends. Here's hoping to bump into some of the 2013 Moroccan funsters. This excellent thread has been very inspirational for us.:Cool:

Would love to meet up with any other Funsters that might be in the area also:thumb:

Dai & Karina

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Won't the twisty mountain roads reduce the saving in fuel though?

I would personally avoid Andorra and take the usual route arond the coast.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Dai, We sail on the 8th and hope to be down there on the 12th. You will find me any afternoon playing petanque at La Torretta and most early evenings taking my aperitif in the bar between 6 and 7. Look forward to meeting up with you.

Dai

Free Member
May 14, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Snowbird

Would be certainly up for that. Haven't booked Racco but if full, would be looking at your site, as they are dog friendly. If the weather isn't hot enough and you take off to Morocco will catch up with you sometime.

Hopefully see you at the bar...........

Dai

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Here you are Dave!

It is true we had a lot of snow last week but here , it comes and goes!
So keep an eye on these 2 links you'll be better informed with them.
You have with the secons one , all the webcams you need . There are at least 2 about Pas de La Casa and at least 2 may be more about Andorra ... so there you go!
Good luck!! (do you remember I'm on your way???:winky:::bigsmile:)

http://www.inforoute09.fr/index.php

And if you click on Andorra area this is what you get

http://www.mobilitat.ad/CA/default.asp

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Frankie, Thanks for the links and of course I remember you are on the way. If I decide to go via Toulouse I would love to call in at Albi :thumb:.
The problem is that if I go via Toulouse I have to also go via Perpignan, and as I am only taking a few weeks holiday I cannot afford to get held up in department 66 for to long :winky:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back