Thinking of getting a Canon 5D MkIII (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Whenever I consider spending a lot of money I always research and ponder for an age by which time a new model is released :)

I enjoy photography and like good equipment - it sort of inspires me to get out there and start shooting.

Presently I have a Canon EOS 1D mark nothing :) I also have one of the Panasonic point & shoot. Although the Canon is relatively low on pixel count - something like 4 million compared to 10 + for the Panasonic, the pictures taken with the Canon are absolutely brilliant. Beautiful colours and amazing sharpness.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy 2 and use it often to take pictures. What I love about this is the way the pictures are instantly uploaded to my Dropbox folder without any interaction from me. A wonderful use of technology. I could be anywhere in the World, snapping pictures with my Samsung and my family could see them within seconds.

The Canon 5D doesn't have this function but it might be possible to add it using a PQI Air Card Link Removed I'm still researching this.

Then there's the brilliance of Sony's NEX-6 (I believe the 8 will be released this summer). Lovely camera & great review plus it's compact. Also has internet connectivity built in and costs a lot less than the Canon. The one single reason I don't like Sony is they insist on 'locking you in' to their ways of doing things, in this case I believe you have to use Sony's gallery for uploading the pictures. I also recall in the early days of laptop computers, while all other brands used a commonly available memory card Sony only allowed you to use their very high priced alternative - hate that.

Anyone got any views?

Last edited:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I prefer Nikon, and have a D300 at the moment. Next step will be the D800. I use an Eye Fi card in my Leica but cant use it in the Nikon because they do not do a CF card version - the D800 uses both CF and SD. The Mk5 is supposed to be a very good body but not having used one I will sit on the fence :ROFLMAO:

Sep 10, 2007
Chobham Surrey
Funster No
MH
CS Reisemobil Panel Van
Exp
10 years
I have just purchased EOS 6D and am very pleased with it , considerably cheaper than the 5D, it also has built in Wi-Fi and GPS, worth a look especially if you have a lot of Canon glass as I do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Whenever I consider spending a lot of money I always research and ponder for an age by which time a new model is released :)

I enjoy photography and like good equipment - it sort of inspires me to get out there and start shooting.

Presently I have a Canon EOS 1D mark nothing :) I also have one of the Panasonic point & shoot. Although the Canon is relatively low on pixel count - something like 4 million compared to 10 + for the Panasonic, the pictures taken with the Canon are absolutely brilliant. Beautiful colours and amazing sharpness.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy 2 and use it often to take pictures. What I love about this is the way the pictures are instantly uploaded to my Dropbox folder without any interaction from me. A wonderful use of technology. I could be anywhere in the World, snapping pictures with my Samsung and my family could see them within seconds.

The Canon 5D doesn't have this function but it might be possible to add it using a PQI Air Card Link Removed I'm still researching this.

Then there's the brilliance of Sony's NEX-6 (I believe the 8 will be released this summer). Lovely camera & great review plus it's compact. Also has internet connectivity built in and costs a lot less than the Canon. The one single reason I don't like Sony is they insist on 'locking you in' to their ways of doing things, in this case I believe you have to use Sony's gallery for uploading the pictures. I also recall in the early days of laptop computers, while all other brands used a commonly available memory card Sony only allowed you to use their very high priced alternative - hate that.

Anyone got any views?

I have the mark II, I so want the III for a number of reasons, but it's not going to happen for a while, so maybe I'll hold out for the IV

The Mark III is a superb tool, and if you already have an investment in Canon glass, then its a no brainer to stick with canon. I would NEVER not have a canon, I started with a A1 in 1980 something, I've owned leica M6's even dabbled with a Hasselblad paying £500 for second hand film backs:Eeek:, but I've always owned a canon, for me they are simply the best:thumb:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Nikon, while a great camera brand is not an option as i have so many Canon accessories.

The 6D is something I'm still considering however, I do like the 5D very much. The WiFi is attractive of the 6D but I can add it to the 5D.

I can't understand why Canon and other brands for that matter don't number their releases in some sort of logical way. One tends to think the 6D is better than the 5D and the Sony NEX-7 is better than the NEX-6. Perhaps it's a Chinese/Fare East thing.

Cardiff City have been The Bluebirds for as long as I can remember but when the Malaysian money started to pour in, they had to change their strip colours from blue to red!

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs

Anyone got any views?

Hi you'll not go wrong with the canon :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I prefer Nikon, and have a D300 at the moment. Next step will be the D800. I use an Eye Fi card in my Leica but cant use it in the Nikon because they do not do a CF card version - the D800 uses both CF and SD. The Mk5 is supposed to be a very good body but not having used one I will sit on the fence :ROFLMAO:

Hi Dave:thumb:

canonnikon_zps970c5109.jpg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've had a Canon 7D with 18-135mm lens for nearly a year now, which I treated myself to when I inherited some money.

Since buying it I've felt like I felt with my first 35mm SLR when I was 18 - like there's no limit to what I can do. I was previously using a Fuji S9600 with which I was perfectly happy for some years, but there were always compromises to be made. With the Canon, virtually every photo comes out exactly like I want it to, and I've only scratched the surface of its technical capabilities. I haven't even begun to look at what's possible with HD video for example.

The other day I was out shooting in misty conditions where there was virtually no colour in the scenery and it was spot on. I've yet to see it fail to deliver, whatever the available lighting.

Definitely a great leap forward, and photography's been my main hobby for the last 40 years.

For what it's worth, my youngest worked in Jessops during her gap year, and is studying photography at Uni - she had the chance to test out a lot of different cameras, and even wore a Nikon logo on her work uniform, but she swears by Canon.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
hi ive got a 5d mk11 big lump but superb what more can i say

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
The Canon 6D is amazing

Bought it just after they came out and I'm delighted with it. Bought it because it offers:
  • Full frame sensor (most important!)
  • 20.2MP CMOS
  • 4.5 frames per second continuos
  • 63 zone metering
  • Built in WiFi and GPS
  • Silent shutter mode
A full 1040k dot LCD screen shows brilliant colour and the ISO range is amazing, low light pictures are easy.
But one of the features that totally persuaded me was the iPhone app, it allows you to view, change, focus and take shots remotely from the camera. So if you want to be in the shot, you can compose it, adjust exposure and f-stop while you're stood next to your loved ones, how unique is that!http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have just purchased the Canon EOS 60 D with 18-135 lens and must say I'm very impressed with the picture quality and no doubt when I understand how to get the best out of the camera (about 2 years I think to fully understand all the options I have LOl). it will be even better!

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to compare it against other's as this is my first DSLR camera. I do know however I got it brand new and at an exceptional price.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Still not upgraded from the II to the III, the lV will be out soon and i might get a III then::bigsmile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Still not upgraded from the II to the III, the lV will be out soon and i might get a III then::bigsmile:

Thats exactly what im going to do as price should drop considerably,Ive been toying with the idea of shipping it from China like i did with a fisheye lens which i saved 300 quid by doing so.Im holding out for price reduction though.Reason i want it is because it full frame as opposed to my cropped frame canon rebel 550d which I've been using for a few years now.Missses keeps saying just buy it but not at the 2000 mark.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I recently treated myself to a second-hand Canon EF 70-300 zoom telephoto lens, which is around 500mm in the old money, ie 10x magnification. I used to dream of being able to take photos through 10x magnification binoculars, and now to all intents and purposes I can. I'm seriously impressed by what it can do.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I'd buy a second hand MKII and gets some L glass assuming you have EFS today ? This will bring a bigger difference to your picture quality than a MKIII vs your current body.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Its a while since I have posted on fun. We opened a new photographic studio last year and so motorhoming has taken a very back seat. So I pop on this morning for a break from photography and find drawn to this interesting thread ::bigsmile:

One of the first cameras I owned after the required zenith e and Zorki 4k was the Olympus OM1 back in the 70s. After 40 years of owning every camera you might think of I am back to olympus in the form of the OM-D. I shoot maybe 2000 images every week and this little camera is superb.

Don't sell your Canon 1D though, I have one and I don't think that sensor has ever been bettered although of course the camera is very limited by todays standards

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I bought a Canon 6D last week with the 24-105mm lens. £100 Canon cashback and 10% Quidco (£182) when purchased through Currys swayed me.

I've got to say I was not at all impressed with the camera, it was like Canon was punishing me for not buying the 5D MKIII! I ended up taking it back for a refund.

The image quality is superb, no doubt about that, but 1 cross type focus point? Seriously? The 5D MKIII has 41! And just 11 focus points rather than 61 on the 5D MKIII. Unless the subject is in the centre of the frame you can forget it and don't even think about trying to shoot a moving subject. Also the lack of a headphone socket for video was a consideration for me.

Now don't get me wrong - the 6D is a fantastic camera especially the WiFi and GPS function and depending on the type of photography you do its debatable if it would be worth paying the extra. I think the lack of cross type focus points is a serious flaw in the camera and surely in itself cannot command almost £1000 when you compare the differences between the 6D and the 5D MKIII. Sure WiFI and GPS - lovely features - but I'd throw them away in an instant for some more focus points.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-vs-Canon-EOS-6D

As a lifelong Canon user this has left me with a bit of a quandary. I'm hoping that the 70D when is announced / released this month might be the solution. This is rumoured to have a new focusing system and all of the befits of the much acclaimed 60D which is coming up to 3 years old now.

Full frame is fantastic. Being able to use your lenses to their full potential rather than using them on a cropped body is a gift. But I don't think (personally) that the 6D is the right body for the job.

Edit: This might explain it a bit better:

6D-vs-5D-AF-system.jpg

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Blimey that all looks a bit Star Trek to me. I've switched off all that multi point gubbins on my 7D and gone for single point focussing and metering slap bang in the middle of the viewfinder.

Maybe one day I'll read the manual and find out what I've been missing.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I started browsing this thread and idly wondered whether I might take my first foray into DSLR. "Maybe I'll see how much Jim wants for his Mk11" I thought. So I took a look online at what sort of price they go for :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
I may take up stamp collecting! :ROFLMAO:

Wyn

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I cant foresee a mk IV rearing its head for a few years yet and am running out of excuses not to buy the mk111. I have seen it under the £2000 mark ,has anyone seen it for less?I took a chance on buying a very expensive lens from China for a lot less but have decided against it regarding a new body.Any great deals suggested would be most welcome.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
just got rid of my 40D outfit cos I was finding it heavy to lug around,what with the Sigma 150-500 and the tripod ::bigsmile:
Bought a little Lumix-it's ok with a 20x zoom,but I like the viewfinder on my G10.
Remember guys-it ain't the camera body that takes the pics, it's the lens and the eye behind it.:thumb:
How about focussing by turning a ring on the lens until the image is sharp on the ground glass screen-those were the days.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mike

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I see you describe yourself as a retired photographer Mike,must of been nice to combine your hobby with your work although i dont see how you can retire from it :Smile:.What sort of thibgs did you photograph for a living?

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I see you describe yourself as a retired photographer Mike,must of been nice to combine your hobby with your work although i dont see how you can retire from it :Smile:.What sort of thibgs did you photograph for a living?

I started out doing fashion and commercial in London-a certain Terence Donovan was in the same studios ::bigsmile:
Then,after a spell in RAF I ended up in the Media. I set up a Stills dept for TWW-Television Wales and West.The dept did any photography required,from Press and PR in studio and on location with artistes,producing any still pics a director wanted for an item in a programme-one of my favs was to provide a series of B/W shots to illustrate a poem
about slate quarries to be cut to music.You read the poem,listen to the music and then head off to North Wales for few days ::bigsmile: all on expenses.
Working on Treasure Island in Jamaica with Brian Blessed was great fun :thumb:
By contrast an HTV/Columbia co-production about the Berlin wall with Tony Danza was hell-the Columbia stills man walked off the set after Danza had a go at him.
I retired from HTV when I was 50-but got bored,so set up my own studios doing GP photography-what a learning curve that was !!
By 1999,when I was 62 I was getting fed up with the general public ,and my commercial clients were starting to ask for Digital Files rather than transparencies-I decided it was time to quit working.

Mike.

I posted this,and then looked out of the van window (we are in Holland at moment) and saw a translucent tent on next pitch-it's like a light tunnel-what a wonderfull place to photograph babies lol-no shadows at all.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I wish I could be a retired photographer - it would mean I'd spent my working life taking photos instead of messing about in state education for 30+ years.

Having said that, I've been working on my first commissioned photo shoot these last few days so maybe there's still a future in it, albeit small time.

Gaz

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since june 2005
I cant foresee a mk IV rearing its head for a few years yet and am running out of excuses not to buy the mk111. I have seen it under the £2000 mark .

hdewcameras have it at £1,929 if this is any help

I am looking at a 7d+24-105 f4 L just got to convince the wife :Smile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I have seen a little cheaper,i have seen the results through a friend of mines pictures and they are terrific. There are several reasons for wanting and one being i like buildings landscapes etc and currently using a cropped frame sensor and want to get the best out of some of my lenses, one being my Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye which i love to use down on the seafront and in the countryside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back