LOOE Town Council - camping (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
LOOE Town Council will on Monday be discussing plans to tackle problems relating to overnight camping in the town.

During its full council meeting, councillors will consider a motion on whether the council should "formally engage with Cornwall Council to bring forward effective measures to prevent overnight camping in Hannafore Conservation Area and elsewhere."

Looe town councillor Brian Galipeau said: " I am sure 'wild camping' is a lot of fun in wild places, but sleeping overnight in a residential road is hardly the Last Frontier."

Broken Link Removed

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
At face value I have to agree with the town councillor. I'm sure most of us wouldn't be too impressed if a load of freeloaders were overnighting outside our houses.
Of course Looe council could turn this to their advantage and create an official site charge a reasonable fee and make all sides happy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Live and let live

At face value I have to agree with the town councillor. [HI]I'm sure most of us wouldn't be too impressed if a load of freeloaders were overnighting outside our houses.[/HI]Of course Looe council could turn this to their advantage and create an official site charge a reasonable fee and make all sides happy.

why not whats the problem? I often park in housing estates and usually knock on the nearest door to ask if they mind, only ever been refused once. But to be honest I pay my licence fee and that permits me to park anyplace thats legal, what I do inside the van with the curtains drawn no one needs to know. If asked to move I do so. But then I usually arrive at 5pm and am gone by 10am the following morning and providing there is sufficient parking space NO ONE is inconvenienced.
Please note:- I along with other freeloading tossers object to the term freeloaders. It is not a requirement to stay on campsites and when it becomes so will be the day I sell my motorhome. And yes I know I am a campsite owner but I allow others to make their own choices.

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
What is the origin of the word 'loo'?

There are several theories about the origin of this informal British term for a toilet. The first, and most popular, is that it derived from the cry of 'gardyloo' (from the French regardez l'eau 'watch out for the water'), which was shouted by medieval servants as they emptied chamber pots out of upstairs windows into the street. This is historically problematic, since by the time the term 'loo' is recorded, the expression 'gardyloo' was long obsolete.

Or maybe :ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
What is the origin of the word 'loo'?

There are several theories about the origin of this informal British term for a toilet. The first, and most popular, is that it derived from the cry of 'gardyloo' (from the French regardez l'eau 'watch out for the water'), which was shouted by medieval servants as they emptied chamber pots out of upstairs windows into the street. This is historically problematic, since by the time the term 'loo' is recorded, the expression 'gardyloo' was long obsolete.

Or maybe :ROFLMAO:

Never been there have you? If you had you would never have asked - please, do come and visit. You will arrive, take a lung full of the low tide air, and all will become crystal clear........ :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There is a perfectly suitable large car park in Looe which would be ideal for overnighting aire. Put to the back end, some PAYG hook up points and get some extra revenue into the town.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Aires that's what we need, when will local Councils cotton on to the fact that we bring trade into places like Looe its the same old story in Blighty they find ways of discouraging Motorhomers (height barriers for example) rather than embracing the fact that many of us have a reasonable amount of spending money & will use it if allowed to!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Any one that visits Looe will be disappointed. It's not the, Fishermen in Newlyn Smocks mending nets all oo arrr m'dear, dreckly m'ansome that some people like to think it is.

It can be, politely, described as "tired" . It's scruffy, dirty, full of more shops selling tat than "real" shops, meals are overpriced as a rule although there are a couple of places that are good value.

Looe, Fowey, Polperro, the majority of shops selling overpriced tat, and for real sleaze try Newquay. Perranporth is starting to get a nasty reputation since PC Plod is cracking down on Newquay "nightlife antics"

The best time to visit Cornwall is twixt October to April, Mother Nature at her best, wild seas, empty beaches, all the rip off shop keepers holidaying in Spain et al, room to move, and plenty of parking. :Cool:

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
We stayed overnight in Looe about,I think 5-8 yrs ago in the carpark behind the Boat Chandlers next to the big council car park for about 2 nights.He had a pay & display machine. It was ,then £1.20 for 24hrs although _if he is still doing it he was the cheapest car park in Looe then but the price must be more now.He told me,while chatting to him(as we do) that he had had no break ins on cars since he allowed m/homes to park there.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Councillor Brian Galipeau obviously has NO Idea what wild camping is
he thinks the word wild relates to it being remote wilderness may be with lions tigers and bears

Stupid man we all know that is at Longleat wild life park ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

i wild camp at Morrisons ::bigsmile: Aldi & Asda:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
come to think of it not much difference:Eeek:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Maybe they have good reason for their fears of travellers taking over, if Beech View holiday park in Leiston, Suffolk is anything to go by.

Travellers rolled up and refused to pay, owners called the police who did what? Nowt, the travellers said they would leave after the weekend, and the cops left. No doubt they will also leave a stack of rubbish.:Angry:

Ian

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
why not whats the problem? I often park in housing estates and usually knock on the nearest door to ask if they mind, only ever been refused once. But to be honest I pay my licence fee and that permits me to park anyplace thats legal, what I do inside the van with the curtains drawn no one needs to know. If asked to move I do so. But then I usually arrive at 5pm and am gone by 10am the following morning and providing there is sufficient parking space NO ONE is inconvenienced.
Please note:- I along with other freeloading tossers object to the term freeloaders. It is not a requirement to stay on campsites and when it becomes so will be the day I sell my motorhome. And yes I know I am a campsite owner but I allow others to make their own choices.

One isolated van is a lot different from 10 or 12 tuning up.

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back