LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Computer techi help please Just put computer on clicked on internet, clicked my fun icon to go on fun and norton downloaded somthing. Not had this type of thing happen before so i clicked norton and a page came up stating price gong was safe and that norton had downloaded it as a safe site. I WAS not happy with this i did not ask for this site dont now what norton down loaded it for. Have tried to delete it but it wont let me, has anyone else had this and should i be concerned. Does anyone know how to delet it please

regards Kate

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Go into settings, delete Norton. Then load Microsoft Security Essentials and all will be OK.

I will second this. Great advice Brian.

I think a few of us more experienced computer types ought to put our heads together to either do a live tutorial at one of the meets or put together some tutorials on stuff such as AdBlock Plus, host files etc etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006

I think a few of us more experienced computer types ought to put our heads together to either do a live tutorial at one of the meets or put together some tutorials on stuff such as AdBlock Plus, host files etc etc.

Thanks Gromett, I would love the live tuturial's at meets ect. I think that would be usefull to a good number of funsters:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I've never come across a program more hated by IT professionals than Norton. We are talking something like 15 years of hatred here.

But they continue. What is to be learned from this ????? Maybe big seller discounts rule ????

I used AVG FREE for many years but it got bloated and slowed things down then on FUN Microsoft was suggested and it seems to work. It does seem to take a good minute of computer time when we start windows but after that no problems.

I can't comprehend how much ££££££ is paid out in anti virus when all that is needed is FREE.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been using it since it came out.. I was fed up of Symantec and Norton and all the others getting bloated and stopping me working just when I need it. It is the first bit of Microsoft software I have ever recommended (and probably the last)

Fortunately I am on Linux 100% now so no such issues any more :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my last PC came with Norton (on disc not pre-installed)

told 'em (PCWorld) to stick it where the sun dont shine, free/included or not.

last time i had Norton it used a massive chunk or available resources and slowed the pc down to a crawl.

Oct 27, 2009
Essex, no white stilletos
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E460
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've never come across a program more hated by IT professionals than Norton. We are talking something like 15 years of hatred here.

But they continue. What is to be learned from this ????? Maybe big seller discounts rule ????

I used AVG FREE for many years but it got bloated and slowed things down then on FUN Microsoft was suggested and it seems to work. It does seem to take a good minute of computer time when we start windows but after that no problems.

I can't comprehend how much ££££££ is paid out in anti virus when all that is needed is FREE.
Couldn't agree more,Microsoft Security Essentials is good, no problems with it at all.:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have deleted Norton from every computer I get the chance to...

I use Avast, never had a problem,and its free...:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It makes you think twice to take the plunge and delete Norton particularly if you've paid for it but I got rid of it a couple of years ago when it was dearer to renew 360 than buy the new version. MS Security Essentials, Malware Bytes and Adblock Plus does it for me and all free. :Smile:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Big +1 for AVG Free and AdBlock Plus.
Also recommended is CCleaner (free) for ensuring that all is clean and healthy. It will also remove any bits of Norton left behind from an uninstall, in fact any leftovers from uninstalls. When you use, just make sure it does not remove cookies, unless you like remembering all your login details........:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back