Hello from Linz Zena & Bear (dogs) (1 Viewer)

MissyMadLinz

Free Member
Feb 28, 2013
Perton
Funster No
MH
hoping for a lt35 older
Exp
Looking
Hello fellow campers.
I'm looking to buy and older style VW LT35 Camper to live in eventually.. I'm 39 and have 2 dogs to come on board.. I'm wondering what i would have to do to become a full timer.. I'm sick of household red tape etc..and would like to enjoy the freedom of the road and enjoy life in general.

Can anyone give me any advice pros n cons of living full time in a camper, ok i'm a newbie at this and would appreciate all the advice that is given.

Thanks all :)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Linz and welcome to the Fun! :welcome:

First thing I would say is that IMO a VW camper is way too small for me to want to fulltime in - and I have only one dog. :Smile:

Check out the Fulltimers forum on here - lots of useful info in there.

Fulltiming might mean that you escape 'household red tape' but you will have a whole different world of 'mobile red tape' to deal with. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Fun, I would say do as much research as you can, when you find a suitable van spend some time in it on your own imagine living in it, will it do what you need it to do, you would probably need good batteries and solar panels to keep you independent. A relatives address can make things easier.

Maz is a lady who knows and her advice is good. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
VW LT35 Camper to live in eventually
Thanks all :)

It would be like living in a sleeping bag.

There is a difference between what you can do and what you would enjoy doing.

Go for something described as 4 berth which for really living in is the minimum you need.

OP
OP
M

MissyMadLinz

Free Member
Feb 28, 2013
Perton
Funster No
MH
hoping for a lt35 older
Exp
Looking
LT35 Camper

Thanks for all your advice, i think what i will do is get the baby LT35, have a tour around for long weekends away, then see how it fairs for living in general not as spacious living as I'm only 5ft 2.. so a hobbit hole would suit me.. but its the dogs that need the room.. So i'll test the water before i commit full time.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thanks for all your advice, i think what i will do is get the baby LT35, have a tour around for long weekends away, then see how it fairs for living in general not as spacious living as I'm only 5ft 2.. so a hobbit hole would suit me.. but its the dogs that need the room.. So i'll test the water before i commit full time.

Good idea but please bear in mind that there's a huge difference between spending long weekends in a van and actually living fulltime in one, especially when the weather's bad. :Smile:

OP
OP
M

MissyMadLinz

Free Member
Feb 28, 2013
Perton
Funster No
MH
hoping for a lt35 older
Exp
Looking
@ Maz

This is true, my plan is to get a small wood burner installed and be cosy, but i can fully understand where your coming from, i used to spend plenty of cold nights in a tent.. to many rallies to count

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
This is true, my plan is to get a [HI]small wood burner[/HI] installed and be cosy, but i can fully understand where your coming from, i used to spend plenty of cold nights in a tent.. to many rallies to count

Somehow I don't think that would be practical in a VW camper ............ but I'll leave someone who knows more about them than I do to comment further. :Smile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
It's an LT35 not a 'VW camper' as in Bay-window type.
The LTs are good sized vans, with straight sides unlike a Transit etc. whose sides taper in. Years ago we had an LT28 (ex Help-the-Aged) minibus which we converted into a MH. Had 4 kids at the time too. 2400cc 6 cyl.petrol - (2400cc diesel available too but not any noticeable difference in economy)...
Only real problem with the LTs is rust in the seams.
:Smile:

Oh yes, forgot - had a mini woodburner too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MissyMadLinz

Free Member
Feb 28, 2013
Perton
Funster No
MH
hoping for a lt35 older
Exp
Looking
Campervan Frolicks

I'm looking at bigger MH now.. Seen a Ford Iveco 5-6 berth.. looks a decent size, but i will deffo keep my options open:thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
:welcomefunster::party2:

Hi Linz! Welcome to the Fun! :party2:

Bit worried about the bear
might be a nice animal but
With two bears on one site could be difficult

"Haggers" has a bear and its lovely but bigger than a VWLT
still look forward to meeting you both.

Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I would think what you have is too small, but before changing it, come to some meets, look around other peoples motorhomes, look what the dealers have, this will allow you to make a much more informed decision and see what works for you. :thumb:

All the best Rick

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the site, it sounds like a self build is what you are looking for rather than a coach built, remember "A" class vans give you oodles more space and an overcab bed makes even more space. The dogs will need a space of their own where they will no be disturbed by you living in the van, cooking going to the bathroom etc and if full timinng you may need space for a generator, small washing machine etc. go to a meet or two and chat to the fulltimers, there are lots of them on here who have done it and know the pitfalls.

OP
OP
M

MissyMadLinz

Free Member
Feb 28, 2013
Perton
Funster No
MH
hoping for a lt35 older
Exp
Looking
Meet Ups

I would think what you have is too small, but before changing it, come to some meets, look around other peoples motorhomes, look what the dealers have, this will allow you to make a much more informed decision and see what works for you. :thumb:

All the best Rick

Hi Rick, I've not got my camper yet.. The LT35 camper is what i was after, but now i'm thinking bigger, due to living in it f/t..

when and where are the meets, i'm close to wolverhampton, and have transport, sadly not my motorhome yet.. But i would love to come and look around other peoples vehicles so i can get a good idea whats needed and what is not!!

As for the Bear..She's a Rottweiler.. A lot smaller than the average "bear" I had the runt of the litter.. I have Zena Standard size Rottweiler.. she curls up in any space for a big girl :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back