Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Like all motorhomers we work hard before a trip to ensure that as little as possible rattles during the journey. But all the roads around where we live are in poor condition and so very rough. Consequently some of what we have secured works loose straight away :Doh:

The biggest pain is the internal door between the bedroom and the lounge/kitchen. We trap some kitchen towel just above the door catch and put a rubber wedge underneath. With or without these, the door needs an extra pull for the catch to secure it.

Of course the whole habitation unit flexes when we're on the move and this put additional strain on the tightly wedged door.

As a result, or maybe it would have happened anyway, the bottom hinge keeps working loose from the door frame. I could use bigger screws, but suspect that the results would eventually be the same. I could screw and glue the hinge, but I suppose that that would just transfer the problem to another part.

Has anyone else had this problem and, more importantly, has anyone found a good solution?

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Try putting double sided tape between the hinge and frame before screwing in position, works for me:thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I would suggest you let everything flap about, rather than trying to wedge it in place, thus putting ever increasing strain on all parts. This is why trees bend in the wind, and tall buildings move in high winds. If they were rigid, they would break.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I assume you are talking here about wedging the door closed while you are traveling ? You seem to have answered your own query saying that the hab area flexes when you are on the move!

What makes you think that (a) wedging the door or (b) the use of bigger screws is going to stop this?

If it was me I would put some wood filler or epoxy glue in the existing screw holes and use those screws again, hopefully this will avoid having dirty great holes in your door frame.

Try adjusting the striker plate a little to aid closure of the door, and perhaps the use of a couple of magnet catches to help keep it shut when on the move.

Hope this helps.

Pete

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Can't the hinge be bolted instead of screwed, I have a couple of overly large holes where the screws won't tighten, I was thinking of using small bolts instead

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Can the door be fastened back in the open position ?
Something along the lines of a hook and eye set-up might work.
Unless of course you prefer the door closed for journeys. Personally, if there was so much flex that it was causing problems with the door closed, I would have it open.

As has already been suggested, you may be able to adjust the keep plate in the frame so that it holds more of the catch, if you must have it closed.
When we had an Elddis the toilet door used to do the same as yours, so we left it slightly open with a small rubber wedge under each side to stop it swinging about. Never had a problem after that.

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for all the comments!

We want the door closed in cold weather as it leaves a smaller area to heat from the cab heater. It's also much quieter with the door closed.

Wedges are out and glue in the screws is in ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
easy....secure the door OPEN.

if its open it will move with the frame rather than fight against the frame.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Prob a bit late now but next time glue a matchstick in and screw into that :thumb:---another possible thing is same gadge longer screws :thumb::Smile:
terry

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I think that a curtain would seriously devalue the MH since the separate rooms are a key feature of this model.

Securing it open is an option but doesn't solve the temperature/noise issue.

Matchsticks didn't work as they are a very soft wood.

But thanks all!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think that a curtain would seriously devalue the MH since the separate rooms are a key feature of this model.

But thanks all!
cant have it all. :winky:

the wedge may be the problem.
when the body flexes the door cant move with it in one direction and something has to give....the hinge screws

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
cant have it all. :winky:

the wedge may be the problem.
when the body flexes the door cant move with it in one direction and something has to give....the hinge screws

The problem started (i.e. hinge came loose) before we used a wedge, but I've no doubt that you are right that the wedge isn't helping, in fact probably making it worse. I'll have to work on minimising the rattle of the door catch but again, if I prevent it moving at all, it will put too much strain on the hinges.

Autotrail internal doors are full length doors, unlike many MH's. There's no gap at the top or the bottom, which is nice, but which probably makes this sort of problem more likely.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

But thanks all!

Did you glue them ? and use same screws or chipboard ones :winky:
terry

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Did you glue them ? and use same screws or chipboard ones :winky:
terry

I must admit that I didn't, but the soft wood can still give, leaving all the gripping work to the glue. I think that I will use hardwood splinters and araldite.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John if you use Araldite and hardwood you will have to make a pilot hole :thumb: or it will probably split the chipboard :cry:The softwood and normal glue will give like the chipboard :thumb:
Look at chipboard screws--very thin with big open thread so that they dont split the chipboard. Even these hold better with a fine pilot hole.:winky:
Terry

Attachments

• chipboard screw.jpg
    chipboard screw.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi John if you use Araldite and hardwood you will have to make a pilot hole :thumb: or it will probably split the chipboard :cry:The softwood and normal glue will give like the chipboard :thumb:
Look at chipboard screws--very thin with big open thread so that they dont split the chipboard. Even these hold better with a fine pilot hole.:winky:
Terry

Thanks Terry, sounds like good advice :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Terry, I've just noticed your past life as a Joiner, so I guess you know exactly what you're talking about!! Do I get a warranty as well :ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I must admit that I didn't, but the soft wood can still give, leaving all the gripping work to the glue. I think that I will use hardwood splinters and araldite.

I always use cocktail sticks and wood glue. I think it is a harder wood (and anyway I usually have cocktail sticks and don't usually have matches)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, I've just noticed your past life as a Joiner, so I guess you know exactly what you're talking about!! Do I get a warranty as well :ROFLMAO:
I am not dead yet so I am afraid I will always be a Joiner ::bigsmile: GTEED until you put the first screw in

I always use cocktail sticks and wood glue. I think it is a harder wood (and anyway I usually have cocktail sticks and don't usually have matches)
Posh git :winky: I too never have matches so end up having to cut slithers off 2 x 1 or whatever is handy :Smile: Even been known to stick the odd plastic wall plug in the odd hole after someone has kept putting in bigger and bigger screws in :thumb:::bigsmile:
May I add these fixes are all done for others after others have tried to fix and failed ::bigsmile: Me I never wreck anything in the first place :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Has it ever occurred to you to purchase or fabricate a door 'sausage' ? Draught excluder type jobby, some of which are filled with summat quite heavy........

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
If you dont like rattles when you drive why dont you take everything out the van before you set off?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back