12v coolbox (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Son is going to buy us a 12v coolbox. He actually bought us one for xmas but it was the size of a small fridge and far too big so we returned it. Now looking for one - to keep beers & wine in - that will sit between our front seats & act as a table as well.
Any recommendations?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
should really only be used with the engine running as even the smaller 28ltr models use around 4 to 4.5amps/hr

engine off and in 10 hours and your engine battery will be flat, and it wont turn over a lot sooner than 10 hrs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I use a 12 volt one I bought from Aldi years ago. I use it as a beer fridge, but only when travelling and the engine is running. Once cold from 12 volt it does stay cold. Even with a large battery bank you would not want to run it constantly as its noisy. It does have a mains plug for when on site though, so you can leave it under the van.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
I have a small one bought from Argos, I use it at work, if servicing (calls about 1 hour) I leave it on all day. If I am on a call for longer than that, I unplug it (forgot once and had to call the AA) even unplugged it says cold long enough to keep my lunch cold:Smile:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
TBH, I've found a good quality cool box and plenty of ice works better every time. The 12V cool boxes take a loooooong time to cool down and then yes they do require a lot of valuable amps to stay that way.

Just my tuppence worth.................:Smile:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi Peter looked at your link and am interested in the Coleman extreme 52 qrt cooler,but does not say what uses to cool with,is it ice or cool packs ? thanks Jim.

We have one of these and it is excellent. It is quite large however , we use the large blocks in ours 2 fit exactly in the bottom, you can use ice cubes if you want as there is a drain tap. We usually freeze a 2 litre bottle of milk at home and stick that in as well. I find it keeps my beer cold for at least 5 days.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use a 12 volt one I bought from Aldi years ago. I use it as a beer fridge, but only when travelling and the engine is running. Once cold from 12 volt it does stay cold. Even with a large battery bank you would not want to run it constantly as its noisy. It does have a mains plug for when on site though, so you can leave it under the van.

we also bought one of those for our trip to Spain a few years ago.
while driving it was plugged into the single 110ah leisure battery via an additional socket in the seat base so it could sit between the seats....the dash socket had the sat nav in it.

didnt realise the charge relay had failed until the leisure battery was flat and the cooler stopped working after a days driving :Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have one of these and it is excellent. It is quite large however , we use the large blocks in ours 2 fit exactly in the bottom, you can use ice cubes if you want as there is a drain tap. We usually freeze a 2 litre bottle of milk at home and stick that in as well. I find it keeps my beer cold for at least 5 days.

Good lord it would need to be HUGE to keep 5 days supply of beer cool for me :winky:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
when i was at work used to have one
in the works van it run the battery flat
pretty quick 2-4 hours when stationary
depending on charge in auxillary battery
and telecoms/computer use

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I find the best way with the multi voltage 12/240 volt ones is fill it up the night before leaving home and run it on 240 volts. Then just run it on 12 volt whilst driving. It will stay cold overnight whilst switched off without problem. When I had a fridge go down on me whilst in France the cooler box kept milk, butter, etc, chilled no problem till I got home.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I've borrowed my parents' Campingaz/Coleman Powerbox to use in a hotel to keep things cool for a few days. Too noisy to run overnight, but kept things just cool enough until I switched it back on each morning.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I find the best way with the multi voltage 12/240 volt ones is fill it up the night before leaving home and run it on 240 volts. Then just run it on 12 volt whilst driving. It will stay cold overnight whilst switched off without problem. When I had a fridge go down on me whilst in France the cooler box kept milk, butter, etc, chilled no problem till I got home.

Blimey Snowbird,what did you say the name of that fridge was?

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
we have had on of these Link Removed for about 5 years now - permanently fitted on the backseat of the Landy - very quite - keeps stuff very cool and when the Grandkids are in the back they use it as an arm rest. although small holds and amazing amount of stuff

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just as a point of interest I have now moved forward to the Electrolux 3 way in the garage to keep my beer cold. It will hold at least 60 bottles of beer and doubles up as a freezer when necessary ::bigsmile:. Herself has a free reign of the habitation fridge :Smile:. Its always a case of compromise when camping.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back