Filling Alugas cylinders for first time (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We've just had our Alugas cylinder with external fill point fitted and husband is determined to fill up at a bulk domestic yard rather than at a garage. This is mainly for 2 reasons - 1) we have been advised that they charge less VAT than garage forecourts as it is determined you are using it for domestic heating. 2) This will be our first time filling the cylinders and, in case we get it wrong, he doesn't want to look like a numpty on a busy garage forecourt.:whatthe:

Does anyone else fill up at bulk yards? Any tips on what to look for/consider/what can go wrong when filling cylinder at either bulk yard or garage forecourt. Thanks.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
alugas

Have found in UK there is usually good instructions at the pump.
There is always knowledgeable staff available at garages to help:).
I have found this even abroad.

If you are travelling abroad, you will need 3 adapters.
Also,lpg in Spain is available, but could be a long distance apart.
Good to forward plan just to get an idea of availability.

S:Cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Ah ah! OK - so hold button down and be patient (not a trait my hubby has) - any other surprises? - read somewhere about a big scary whooshing noise.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
read somewhere about a big scary whooshing noise.

Yep, and you can get a cold burn off it, they advise wearing gloves.

You engage the pins, then turn to lock on, then pull and lock the lever.
Fill.
Release the lever and that's when the gas in the pipe escapes with an almighty whoooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhh.

Smoking would be a really bad idea.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
BTDTGTTS

How was I supposed to know you had to hold the button down all the time, I thought it was broken.
And it's slow.

:ROFLMAO:In Germany last yr I did the adaptor and connected the hose-Carolyn pressed the button-once ::bigsmile: It gave me €0.75 of gas and stopped :Doh: Took me 10 mins with my schoolboy German to convince the cashier that the € 0.75 was nothng to do with us,and reset the pump ::bigsmile:
We got it right the 2nd time.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't touch any metal bits around the filling point straight after delivering the gas - very cold. Wear a glove.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Ah ah! OK - so hold button down and be patient (not a trait my hubby has) - any other surprises? - read somewhere about a big scary whooshing noise.

I filled my gas tanks the first time four weeks ago, next to me was the garage assistant. when ready to disconnect i said about the big scary whooshing sound the assistant could not stop laughing. Just be prepared it's a bit like dissconecting the air line from your tyre but a little bit louder. Yes wear gloves the pump handle does get very cold.

Upvote 0

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
we are awaiting delivery of our MH but i have already purchased cylinder and external fill kit but was told not to fill completely on the first time (3/4 full) cant remember why .
:Doh:

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
first fill they recommend that the cylinders are turned off at their taps and that you underfill ( not wait for auto shutoff ) i.e. a 11 kg cylinder holds approx 21ltrs of gas first fill put in around 15kgs as this selps set the internal level valve and accounts for any air in the bottle. mine took 15.5 on first fill.

extract from instruction sheet;;

IMPORTANT: FIRST FILLING ONLY. In some rare instances it is possible that on the FIRST FILL ONLY, the 80% shutoff may fail to activate. It is therefore IMPORTANT to pay attention when filling for the first time.
When using the 11kg cylinder - ensure your maximum fill is no more than 22.5litres. With a 6Kg cylinder - the maximum should be
12litres. If you are using a system employing 2 cylinders which are filled together, add the maximum volumes for the cylinders
together. e.g. If you are using two 11Kg cylinders - your maximum fill should be no more than 45litres.

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
When low my Gaslow starts quickly then takes forever to reach the 80% , so be patient.

It does whoooooooosh on disconnection but after the first time you will get used to it.

Fill anywhere, it wont make any difference, the only thing I feel embarrassed about is paying such a small amount for my gas. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I certainly recommend some thick gloves as you can easily get caught out with the whoosh and some gas coming back at your hand, especially if you're using a pump which doesn't have a protective cowl on it (workmen type from a DIY shop, only a quid or two, will do the job nicely). Other than that, if the pump nozzle looks worn/battered you could end up having fun - we had this on one locally and couldn't get it to engage properly so in the end gave up and went across to the garage across the road and it worked perfectly. You'll often find abroad that the attendants will come out and help you.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you may find if delivery is v-e-r-y slow it usually means the hose connection isnt quite right.
this happened to me the first time.
it wont leak but the filler connections internal valve may be partly closed slowing gas delivery...as if it isnt slow enough as it is. :Angry:...much slower than petrol.

let go of the fill button, remove the hose then reattach it and try again.
the pump operator should put the first amount into memory so you will only pay once for both amounts.

when the bottle is almost full the pump may stutter as the pressure in the bottle will almost equal the pressure in the pump and the pump is trying to shut off....at this point its worth stopping anyway.

my road gas tanks hold 135ltrs but the pump stops around 100ltrs, i do as above and pay in one transaction
actually i know how to stop the pump without disconnecting but my need is different to yours, re: 135ltrs needed.

at your first fill ask for assistance and ask to be shown how to connect, lock the trigger (commonly two types available) and release it when full.
they will happily help as it could save an accident/fire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When low my Gaslow starts quickly then takes forever to reach the 80% , so be patient.

It does whoooooooosh on disconnection but after the first time you will get used to it.

Fill anywhere, it wont make any difference, the only thing I feel embarrassed about is paying such a small amount for my gas. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
lucky you Kieth...:roflmto:

mine holds 130ltrs domestic and 135ltrs engine gas...they're the embarrassed ones taking all that money off me :cry:

still cheaper than filling the 300ltr petrol tank though :Eeek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back