if a MH is sorn does it have to be insured (1 Viewer)

Chybax

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Hi
I was talking to a few people in work today and I mentioned that I cant wait till 1st March so I can tax the MH and a few of them said that on a car if its SORN then the Insurance is void, does this apply to a Motorhome or does it depend on your Insurer ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
got my insurance renewal yesterday (Safeguard) and in the terms it says the vehicle MUST be taxed and MOTed for the full term of the insurance.

my thinking is if its on the road the above must apply as a legal requirement but when off the road it must include a Sorn declaration as that too is a legal requirement.

OP
OP
Chybax

Chybax

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Its always Insured , I was worried it may effect my Insurance but I've never heard this before , maybe they were pulling my leg , hubby will be :ROFLMAO: at me when I tell him the question I've posted :Doh:

OP
OP
Chybax

Chybax

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
(Safeguard) and in the terms it says the vehicle MUST be taxed and MOTed for the full term of the insurance.

my thinking is if its on the road the above must apply as a legal requirement but when off the road it must include a Sorn declaration as that too is a legal requirement.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was worried about ! will check Insurance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
got my insurance renewal yesterday (Safeguard) and in the terms it says the vehicle MUST be taxed and MOTed for the full term of the insurance.

my thinking is if its on the road the above must apply as a legal requirement but when off the road it must include a Sorn declaration as that too is a legal requirement.

This is an odd requirement and I'm not sure what the advantage is to the insurance provider. If it is SORN it's off the road (and is less likely to be damaged by third party vehicles).

I'd assume this is a general covenant and as long as your vehicle is legal i.e. taxed or SORN you'll be okay. Equally if you vehicle is under 3 years old you legally don't need a MOT so you wouldn't hold one.

I did work in a Lloyds motor insurance claims office for a number of years and I can't see why it would have changed since then.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is an odd requirement and I'm not sure what the advantage is to the insurance provider. If it is SORN it's off the road (and is less likely to be damaged by third party vehicles).

I'd assume this is a general covenant and as long as your vehicle is legal i.e. taxed or SORN you'll be okay. Equally if you vehicle is under 3 years old you legally don't need a MOT so you wouldn't hold one.

I did work in a Lloyds motor insurance claims office for a number of years and I can't see why it would have changed since then.
my interpretation exactly.
i'm sure they realise because its a motorhome it wont be used 365 days a year and will be off the road in winter,

i know some use theirs all year round but many more dont.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

This is what I was worried about ! will check Insurance

Just rang Safeguard with a renewal query (£40 cheaper than last year :thumb:) and also asked about the road tax situation.

as long as it has either a current tax disc or a current SORN declaration it IS insured :thumb:

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes - I think what they really mean is, it needs to be legal LOL but a bit daft if you elaborate, to limit it to only one scenario, and far too complicated to denote every possibility - eg the SORNED vehicle MOT expires, then you book it in for one and need to drive it to the garage. That's legal. I presume it's legal to drive straight back home/to storage after that too?

(Bit annoying as you could have done a minor detour to the Post Office on your way home with the MOT pass certificate and taxed it - but there you go! LOL)

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
BEFORE i sorned mine, i phone C&CC, they said it IS still insured,

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
if a vehicle is on sorn it DOES NOT have to be insured or MOTed......but you'd be a fool not to have insurance....electrical fires happen

I agree it does not have to be insured for use on the road but common sense says that is should be insured against all forms of mishaps that may cause it damage.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I agree it does not have to be insured for use on the road but common sense says that is should be insured against all forms of mishaps that may cause it damage.

It MUST be insured when used on a public road but you may drive it to a MOT station for a BOOKED appointement for a MOT without a currect tax disc.

Peter

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

I think you have your wires crossed here... A vehicle does need to be insured for use on the road.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Now I know I'm getting old and my mind does not always work the way it should. However I am sure there was a recent change in the law regarding SORN'd vehicles and insurance.
but for the life of me can't think what it was

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now I know I'm getting old and my mind does not always work the way it should. However I am sure there was a recent change in the law regarding SORN'd vehicles and insurance.
but for the life of me can't think what it was
yes Roger, there is a new law.

the extent of the new ruling is, even if a vehicle is kept off road for any period (ie: garaged show/classic car etc) and is not declared sorn, it must have a current tax disc (even if its exempt through age/disabled registered etc) AND insured regardless.

declare sorn then it doesnt need insurance or MOT because its officially declared off the road.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
I was talking to a few people in work today and I mentioned that I cant wait till 1st March so I can tax the MH and a few of them said that on a car if its SORN then the Insurance is void, does this apply to a Motorhome or does it depend on your Insurer ?

Being on a SORN does not invalidate your insurance unless there is a clause to that effect, which I've never seen on any insurance policy I've bought. Obviously, this is presuming the vehicle is kept off road. If you're driving or parking a SORNed vehicle on road (and I'm not suggesting you are), then it is a very serious criminal offence considerably more serious than driving without insurance.

Christian.

OP
OP
Chybax

Chybax

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Its on our drive:winky: Will be taxed on Friday and I will be intouch with my insurance company to see if it needs to be taxed for the duration of the insurance period, some companies DO state that even if SORN it must still be taxed ! Rip off :Angry:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
my interpretation exactly.
i'm sure they realise because its a motorhome it wont be used 365 days a year and will be off the road in winter,

i know some use theirs all year round but many more dont.

Not all park up in winter many of us use the motor home 365 days a year
Why would an insurer presum any thing ?
The DVLA are trying to introduce that every SORN vehicle has to have insurance
This may come in to force in 2014

No way to escape the Ever increasing costs

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Its on our drive:winky: Will be taxed on Friday and I will be intouch with my insurance company to see if it needs to be taxed for the duration of the insurance period, some companies DO state that even if SORN it must still be taxed ! Rip off :Angry:

Can you name some or all of these companies? I would like to avoid them.

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Don't think you can

Its on our drive:winky: Will be taxed on Friday and I will be intouch with my insurance company to see if it needs to be taxed for the duration of the insurance period, some companies DO state that even [HI]if SORN it must still be taxed ! [/HI]Rip off :Angry:

As I understand it this is not possible; you either tax a vehicle OR SORN it; at least that's how I read the forms.:Confused:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Can you name some or all of these companies? I would like to avoid them.

Yes, I agree - we need names Chybax!

Any company that tells you that you need to tax a vehicle that is declared off road for not having tax needs to be named. Firstly, for being so stupid to think you would sorn a vehicle if you had to tax it in order to do that, and secondly for spreading such utter tosh in the name of insurance. If you are off the road, then the vehicle is safer than parked on road. If your tax is out, it will ping every ANPR in the area, would be easier to find and get the perps caught - and that makes the risk for them marginally less!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

That is not possible. If you declare SORN, you must surrender the tax. It is not legal to do both at once.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
As far as I can Tell

but of course the goalposts keep moving.

Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)

Declaring your vehicle off the road

[HI]If you do not wish to use your motor vehicle you must legally declare it off the road. This means that no insurance or road tax is required to be paid. Only the registered owner may seek to establish a motor vehicle as off the road. The motor vehicle must then be removed from public spaces and stored on private property. Public places are defined as any area of which the upkeep is paid for by the public, or which the public has right of access to.
If the motor vehicle is to be off the road and untaxed for a period of less than 14 days then no SORN is required.
SORN lasts for 1 year and must be renewed if the owner desires its continuation. If the owner is still in possession of the motor vehicle and does not desire the continuation of the SORN, the vehicle must be taxed and insured.
[/HI] If a vehicle that is declared off the road is found to be used or stored in a public place the owner could face a fine of up to £5000 and a prison sentence.
Both Tax and SORN are available online or by phone from the DVLA, or from a Post Office.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
The DVLA are trying to introduce that every SORN vehicle has to have insurance
This may come in to force in 2014

This would cost motor museums a pretty penny :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Anyone have any information on this? Seems extremely unlikely to me :winky:

OP
OP
Chybax

Chybax

Free Member
Apr 7, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp

I dont know if the above applies if SORN 'd

This is WHY I was asking in THE FIRST PLACE !! as I would not want my Insurance to be invalid

Has anyone checked the small print in their Insurance Policy ?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back