scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Navfree

Having just bought a Samsung Galaxy phone recently (after washing my BB in the washing machine) I downloaded and tried it out this week.. thoughts are..

It is much better than the other phone guidance systems using Google or Bing maps, which depend on having a good data connection for the mapping.

All maps are free.. I've only added UK & RNI

On the road, It is very good, gave clear voice guidance and stayed on track 100% of the time. Never once lost the GPS signals.

It has a couple of niggles.. which I believe will be sorted out in the future

* Can't input GPS co-ordinates,
* Can't add custom POIs
* Street addresses don't have street numbers yet.. (at least the ones I tested didn't)

I like it... One of the best free apps from Playstore.. score 9/10

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
It got us down through France & Spain on Jean's Nexus, but as Jim said it does need some work to really compete with the standard sat. nav. opposition.

There were some roads in Portugal it had problems with, couldn't find part of the N125. :Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It got us down through France & Spain on Jean's Nexus, but as Jim said it does need some work to really compete with the standard sat. nav. opposition.

There were some roads in Portugal it had problems with, couldn't find part of the N125. :Eeek:

As you say Keith, on the Android phone, it's not as good as a dedicated sat nav ... however ,

I've just loaded it onto my Sony laptop and downloaded almost all of the Europe maps.. including Morocco.. and it works with my USB GPS device.. being able to see a full country and where it has plotted the route is a big plus over a sat nav..

You can also add custom POIs and it accepts GPS co-ordinates.. so it's much better than the Android version..

All this mapping is free, I'm grabbing it before they start charging ..

Last edited:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Wash your mouth out with coal tar soap
Run windows on a mac............
Its possible but why would you want to!
Plenty of software for macs now

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Wash your mouth out with coal tar soap
Run windows on a mac............
Its possible but [HI]why would you want to![/HI]
Plenty of software for macs now

because you don't have mapping software perhaps ? :roflmto:

It's a few years since I looked, but the only one for Mac was Route66 .. and it was utter carp.. now discontinued.. wonder why.. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
It's a few years since I looked, but the only one for Mac was Route66 .. and it was utter carp.. now discontinued.. wonder why.. :RollEyes:

Hey...so I wasn't the only person who bought a copy then :roflmto:

I did manage to get some use out of it....but trying to drive with an iBook falling off the passenger seat every time I hit the brakes didn't work so well :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back