BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have noticed that many funsters use oil-filled radiators when on hook-up or during the winter storage. In the past I have tried a halogen heater or 3 x 40 watt tubular heaters (greenhouse heaters).
Can anyone tell me if the oil-filled radiators are more efficient and if so roughly how much will I need to pay for a good one?

Many thanks,

BobT

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Personally whilst the van is not used I have found a fan heater set at the frost setting to be the best as it only comes on when the inside of the van drops to almost freezing and circulates air better around the van than static heaters. The one I have is a switchable 1KW or 2KW so when the van is in use and we have hookup and the weather is cold we put it on the 1KW setting. This is OK on all hookups.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All electric heaters are 100% efficient.

There are two considerations:

Safety.
Heat distribution.

Fan heater is probably best for sirring up the air, but not as safe and noisy.
Oil filled is probably safest. Clothing can fall on it and not catch fire but corners remain cold.

Greenhouse heaters and worst, lamp type heaters have little margin for error, catch the cable as you leave and you stand a good chance of an uninsured fire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Forgot to add, the one I use is a small catalytic fan heater with a fail safe device so that if it ever did get knocked over it would stop. I got it from either Aldi or Lidle. You cannot see any heating elements in it and using it on the frost setting it rarely if ever comes on, and then only for a short while.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
heaters

Hi, Bob we always use a small oil filled one its about 700 watts they have some in our local costco they are £40 or thereabouts very efficient in our van

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have a fan heater from Lidl and it has a remote control and is digital. This is easy to set and if you set it at say 24 degrees it will turn on and off within plus or minus 1 degree unlike 3 or 4 of the other fan heaters that can vairy up to 7 or 8 degrees before turning on :Sad:
If they come on offer agian I will be getting another :thumb: I gave the oil filled one away as it was in the way and hot to touch
Terry

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
You can get ones between 650w and 800w for around the £20 mark from Poundstretchers, The Original Factory Shop and Dunelm.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi
Tried a 600w heater and found it not enough, travelling, last Winter went back to 2000w oil filled on thermostat - in a well insulated Burstner:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Forgot to add, the one I use is a small catalytic fan heater with a fail safe device so that if it ever did get knocked over it would stop. I got it from either Aldi or Lidle. You cannot see any heating elements in it and using it on the frost setting it rarely if ever comes on, and then only for a short while.

you sure you dont mean Ceramic Dave ?

a catalytic heater uses lpg and a precious metal catalyst such as platinum wire mesh....hence the high price.

the gas reacts with the catalyst producing heat with no true burning of the gas
basically a chemical reaction.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am sure a Funster had a problem with an oil filled radiator catching fire - so be careful.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
NEVER leave radiant heater on and unattended in small confimes as the radiant heat can heat up materials high enougth to catch fire.

Tubular heaters designed for greenhouses (cheap) can often get very hot.

Panel heaters (respond more quickly but expensive), oil filled radiators (respond slowly but cheaper) and fan heaters (respond the fastest, cheap but very noisy at night) are much better.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
you sure you dont mean Ceramic Dave ?

a catalytic heater uses lpg and a precious metal catalyst such as platinum wire mesh....hence the high price.

the gas reacts with the catalyst producing heat with no true burning of the gas
basically a chemical reaction.

Thats the one John :Doh:. A senior moment in my life. Bloody hell I seem to be having more and more of em :Sad:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Hi
Tried a 600w heater and found it not enough, travelling, last Winter went back to 2000w oil filled on thermostat - in a well insulated Burstner:thumb:

That's about 30p an hour, quite expensive - for the campsite owner (unless metered!)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
HI I HAVE A 1.5kW YOU CAN HAVE FOR £30
ITS ONLY 4 MONTHS OLD
(I DO NOT USE IT AS I HAVE A CONVECTION HEATER THAT I LIKE BETTER)
I GOT IT FROM ARGOS

YOURS IAN

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That's about 30p an hour, quite expensive - for the campsite owner (unless metered!)

Yes indeed.. £7.20 per 24hrs..

yet on another thread a member maintains that £5 for leccy cannot be justified as motorhomes could never use that amount..

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

yet on another thread a member maintains that £5 for leccy cannot be justified as motorhomes could never use that amount..

Only stay overnight, travel every day, heater on for at most 8 hours - on a thermostat so not a constant drain - so probably less than 4 hours constant use = £1.20.

I never complained about the cost of EHU but I don't motorhome in the winter to freeze at night.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Only stay overnight, travel every day, heater on for at most 8 hours - on a thermostat so not a constant drain - so probably less than 4 hours constant use = £1.20.

I never complained about the cost of EHU but I don't motorhome in the winter to freeze at night.

sorry, I wasn't pointing the finger at you, only making the point that it's easy to use £5 of leccy in 24 hrs.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
sorry, I wasn't pointing the finger at you, only making the point that it's easy to use £5 of leccy in 24 hrs.

No apology needed - didn't think you were having a go.:Smile:

Last Winter we used many different sites in England, Wales and France, they were very 'quiet' on more than a few we were alone.

We were gratefull that at least some sites stay open all year round and I am sure that they were happy that at least somebody turned up.

They wouldn't make money in the Winter months, but every little helps over the year.

If EHU is included in the pitch price I would not use my gas for heating.....and I have no objection to a lower pitch price and paying for actual electric used:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am sure a Funster had a problem with an oil filled radiator catching fire - so be careful.

Indeed..

a cautionary tale

Broken Link Removed

also worth bearing mind 'insurance' ...
a fire caused by portable heater and your insurance may not cover ...check if unsure.

Personally, I would stay clear of cheap oil filled heaters.. leaks are not uncommon.. buy a reputable make.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i think that at times a lot of sit owners over charge for site fees so in the end it all balances out but i don't use sites much for that reason their are to many greedy site owner around so for that reason i don't use them i am bit of a tight ars though

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012

Isnt this a bit of a generalisation, surely this figure is based on a 2kw being on maximum for 24 hrs. Do some motorhomes need that degree of heat?
I ask the question because I am using an oil filled radiator when on C&CC sites but I have only ever used the 1kw setting, have never had it above 4 on a 1 to 10 dial and have never left it on overnight, but then my old prison truck is very well insulated
I have never felt that the club overcharge for hookup, dont know about commercial sites, i have never used them.
I do get cross though with some peoples attitude, of i am paying therefore turn everything on!!!:Angry:
Anyway enough waffling.::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Isnt this a bit of a generalisation, surely this figure is based on a 2kw being on maximum for 24 hrs. Do some motorhomes need that degree of heat?

a lot of variables.. depends on time of year, size of van, how well insulated and how cold it is ...
when we were living in our RV over winter, 2008/09 , 2kw would barely keep it comfortable..

I had two 1500 watt oil wall mounted panel heaters + gas blown air heating on most of the time.. which eats LPG .. and yes, we were on a meter , so I know what it costs..

I also had an OWL wireless monitor that showed exactly what we were using from the EHU .. both in kwh and load in amps.

as I said before.. .. my figure was only to illustrate that it is quite easy to use £5 of leccy.. NOT that EVERYONE DID and not all the time..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back