Free Member
Oct 5, 2012
Derby
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thinking of touring the Hebrides in March with the boss and two dogs. Anyone got any experience of such a holiday - where to go, where to stay or not stay, where to eat, what to take advice etc? Should I take 2 gas cylinders? First big adventure of the year, having only been away in our van for 2 weeks in the rain so far, so very keen to get it right ... Any assistance would be welcome..
:helpsos:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I went there once about 20 years ago. If I remember right the ferry left Oban too Benbecula. There is two islands and from what I can remember it was desolate. Tumble-weed blowing about like some old western film. If you are a twitcher they tell me its a great place for bird watching though. There was one pub come grocery shop with little else. No good if your the argumentative type as barred from the pub there is little else to do. I suppose it wouldn't do for all of us to like the same but good luck anyway. Oh, don't forget your wet weather gear :Smile:.

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Sooo envious - we toured Skye, Harris & Lewis in May 2012 - it was awesome!

Starting point would be to look at the Caledonian MacBrayne website for Hopscotch options - we did Hopscotch 13. It's a great way to stay flexible - you only have to book the first crossing, and confirm the next legs on a phone call.

Wild camping is accepted, so we used a combination of conventional sites, and wild spots. We didn't take any extra gas - but I guess it depends on how much you get through. We loved Skye, and spent 4 days there en route to ferry crossing to Harris. Will send you the draft itinerary from which we worked - let me know if you need further information, as I could go on for ever about this lovely part of the world.

Oh, and if you haven't already, read the Lewis Trilogy by Peter May - excellent read, very descriptive & atmospheric. Then you can go and visit the places he describes!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Fairy Godfather

Have a wee read at this link Broken Link Removed my wife and daughter did a wee blog during our trip in 2009 for my Lorraine's 40th a few things might have changed by now but should be helpful if you have any questions please just ask.

Gerry

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello. We had two weeks touring the Outer Hebrides last year, only we went I early October. Managed to get up to Loch Lomond from Leicestershire in one day, then after a nice evening camping on the shores of the Loch we drove to Oban for the afternoon ferry to Barra. Ferry gets you there about 8:30pm but that's no a problem as there is a lovely little campsite just two miles from the port. There are some amazing beaches and hill walks to be had, with every island being different to the next.

I could go on and on and bore you to death, but I can say that I loved the islands and the pace of life, the wildness and far reaching views are amazing. Would go back in a flash as two weeks was not nearly enough to see everything we wanted to.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I confess I am Biased!!

I LOVE the Outer Hebrides :shout: However in March they can be VERY windy and cold. It all depends on what you want really.

If you like stunning natural beauty, wild weather, few other people, quiet roads, unlimited wild camping, close and easy access to wildlife, pure white beaches, massive breaking surf etc etc etc then you will love it :Smile:

On the other hand if you prefer densely populated area's, plenty of commercial campsites, pubs and restaurants galore, busy roads, reliable mobile phone signals, beaches with more than 3 people on, shops everywhere etc etc etc then you will hate it :Sad:

Also how much time do you have? If you have a few weeks then a nice way to experience the Hebrides is to go from Ullapool to Stornoway first then 'ferry hop' all the way South down the chain of islands to Barra then take the ferry from Barra to Oban.

Each Island has it's own 'feel', some you fall in love with, others less so...............but if you like it...............YOU WILL RETURN another day ::bigsmile:

The West side of the Hebrides is the most dramatic, very wind swept and rugged. Each island offers something different from the next. The people are very friendly and welcoming (a bit cliquey on Barra).

Diesel is expensive so fill up on the mainland before you get on the ferry. Stornoway has a good Tesco and small but adequate Co-Op stores are frequent.

I have been to the Hebrides every year for the last three years (but in a tent :whatthe:). This year will by my first in our new van :thumb:

My worry about saying too much is that more people will want to go there :Eeek:

The Outer Hebrides are a well kept secret only to be shared with those who can appreciate them :winky:

Oh, and if you're taken seriously ill, I'll come and get you in my air ambulance :winky:

Enjoy your trip :thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
B]

B]

B]

B]

B]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Don't even think about going there until May ! That's when I am going, late May !!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

We're going in late May too! We met you at the Highland mini meet a couple of years ago Salopian so we'll look out for you on the Islands. :Smile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I LOVE the Outer Hebrides :shout: However in March they can be VERY windy and cold. It all depends on what you want really.

If you like stunning natural beauty, wild weather, few other people, quiet roads, unlimited wild camping, close and easy access to wildlife, pure white beaches, massive breaking surf etc etc etc then you will love it :Smile:

On the other hand if you prefer densely populated area's, plenty of commercial campsites, pubs and restaurants galore, busy roads, reliable mobile phone signals, beaches with more than 3 people on, shops everywhere etc etc etc then you will hate it :Sad:

Also how much time do you have? If you have a few weeks then a nice way to experience the Hebrides is to go from Ullapool to Stornoway first then 'ferry hop' all the way South down the chain of islands to Barra then take the ferry from Barra to Oban.

Each Island has it's own 'feel', some you fall in love with, others less so...............but if you like it...............YOU WILL RETURN another day ::bigsmile:

The West side of the Hebrides is the most dramatic, very wind swept and rugged. Each island offers something different from the next. The people are very friendly and welcoming (a bit cliquey on Barra).

Diesel is expensive so fill up on the mainland before you get on the ferry. Stornoway has a good Tesco and small but adequate Co-Op stores are frequent.

I have been to the Hebrides every year for the last three years (but in a tent :whatthe:). This year will by my first in our new van :thumb:

My worry about saying too much is that more people will want to go there :Eeek:

The Outer Hebrides are a well kept secret only to be shared with those who can appreciate them :winky:

[HI]Oh, and if you're taken seriously ill, I'll come and get you in my air ambulance [/HI]:winky:

Enjoy your trip :thumb:

No need ! They have a bloody great Wessex for their needs ! Makes a hell of a racket ! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Another :thumb: for the Outer Hebrides!

We went end of March, beginning of April last year. Drove up to Uig on Skye and caught the ferry to Tarbert (Harris/Lewis). Then drove south across the various islands returning from Barra to Oban.

A great adventure - weather changes surprisingly quickly out there - can almost have 4 seasons in one day.

Easy to find nice spots to park up for the night - we didn't use any campsites. Do some homework in advance and research where the official black waste dumps are; oh and fresh water.

Have a great trip.

Mike

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have decided this year to concentrate our hols in Scotland and have A week planned in the Borders, planning a two week west coast/Hebrides trip and a mini tour with friends later as well. I'm sure I saw something on here before with wildspots etc for over there but can't find it now.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back