enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I have just purchased a small mobility scooter and want to be able to use it when away with the van. I need to be able to charge the batteries (24v) when we are not on a site/camp where EHU is available. It uses a 2 amp, 240v charger off board charging 2 x 12 volt batteries. Can this be done using an inverter? if so, what power (wattage) inverter will I need? Also, can I support the van battery/batteries with a solar panel? Again what would the minimum spec be to achieve this?
Thanks for your able assistance :thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Cant answer your question but I use a mobility scooter and make sure its fully charged before we go anywhere.

As a small tip, I always carry the charger with me

If I am out all day using it there is always a cafe or shop or someone helpful who lets me put it on charge.

Theres bound to be someone out there more experienced that me on this so will also await their suggestions and experiences xxxx

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have seen some mobility scooters with solar panels fitted to help whilst out and about.
im sure there is a 12v to 24v unit available somewhere as it seems silly and wasteful to step 12 volts dc up to 230 ac then back to 24 volts dc.
this looks like it may do the trick. although would need to be able to be switched off when the scooter isn't connected.
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It uses a 2 amp, 240v charger off board charging 2 x 12 volt batteries. Can this be done using an inverter?

Yes, but. That's about 480W so 40A out of your batteries, don't know your batteries but a normal 100Ah one will last less than half an hour, will they charge in half and hour and can you then live with flat leisure batteries ?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I thought it best not to interfere with, what looks to me like a complicated electrical circuit on our mobility scooter-------we charge it whenever we have the chance---either EHU/needing the genny for something else or full battery on m/home-----we do now have a solar panel,(on the m/home) so whenever we see the sun we check-out the scooter's battery:Smile:---------you only need a small inverter(12volt to 240v) as these chargers don't draw a lot of power---the down-side to that is that they take quite a long time to charge:Sad:-----------------you probably could do something fancy with the electronics-------but, for me simple works very well::bigsmile:-----it's just a simple inverter (that, if you don't already have) you can use for powering other things::bigsmile:.
Our scooter's charger packed-up when it was 13 months old and the Co. we bought it from weren't interested in helping (apart from selling us a very expensive replacement:cry:) ---so we trawled the 'net' and found a much cheaper one---made by Numax ( P/N 240700) which is a MUCH better unit as it has a multi-stage charge programe and we can now go MUCH further on a charge:thumb::thumb::thumb: so it's actually fully charging the batteries:thumb:--it also has a fan which comes on when the charger needs it to protect itself from cooking:thumb:------it came ready to plug straight into the scooter's charge socket---no messing about with the wiring/electronics on the scooter:thumb:-- (it probably wouldn't mean much to you but it runs off 100 to 240 volts----that does mean a lot to us :winky::winky::winky:)------As I said I like to keep as simple as possible::bigsmile:

You could possibly charge yours from an inverter while travelling----the engine charging the battery, so the inverter would not drain it:thumb: ---but, as I said they only draw a small amount:Smile:
Nigel & Pamala

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

You could possibly charge yours from an inverter while travelling----the engine charging the battery, so the inverter would not drain it:thumb: ---but, as I said they only draw a small amount:Smile:
Nigel & Pamala

but as Brian said Nigel, it draws 2a at 230v mains voltage only.
to invert 12vdc to 230vac to get the 2amps needed will draw 40amps/hour from the battery/alternator putting a constant heavy load on the alternator which it isnt really designed to do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back