eBay scams - what happens when you contact them (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
It can be interesting to know how a scammer (or thief) operates. So I sent a message to a scammer advertising a 2010 VW T5 Transporter for £5,400 via a classified ad on eBay.

This could be revealing or dull...

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
1st stage.

I sent a message via ebay asking how I can buy the vehicle. You need to provide a phone number.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
2nd stage.

My mobile rings but I missed the call.

I was called from a landline starting 0161 (Manchester)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
3rd stage.

Immediately afterward I get a text message...

If you still want the TRANSPORTER T5 for 5,400 e-mail me at: transporter5@ bkmpo.com

Oddly the text message is shown to come from "sarahsale2" rather than a mobile number.

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If you are willing to spend your time and money on this, print everything out, keep all mobile messages and pass them on to the police.

there are so many scammers out there who are so hard to trace.

Ive been receiving harrassment calls from apparently cuba????? I know why they are phoning but they are supposedly being very clever in rerouting the calls, unfortunately the police havent the time or facilities to investigate what appears to be international crime.

As for the mobile phone companies dont expect any help from them either.

Good luck in scamming the scammer xxxx

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
4th stage.

I send an email...

Where is the van? Can I see it?

Incidentally the domain bkmpo.com does not forward to a webpage and the registered owner is not shown on whosis lookups because they have paid to keep this information private.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
5th stage.

Reply received...

Hello.
The vw transporter is still for sale. Immaculate condition, no damages, nothing to worry about. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £5,400 delivered at my costs.
The deal will go strictly according to eBay Buyer Protection rules and policy.
Thank you

Sarah

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
7th stage.

I receive a reply...

To start the official transaction. I need to know your delivery information. As soon as I have them I'll start the official procedure, and eBay will send further instructions including payment and delivery times.

I gave them a spurious address to get the ball rolling. I'd imagine I will shortly receive a bogus email from eBay telling me how to pay £5,400 into the fraudsters account.

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
She promised to sell me MY HYMER..........................The Bitch

Hope Terry is monitoring this.............

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Haha! And all in 'un-english' ... typical. :thumb:

('no damages' etc ...)

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Yup sure enough in came three email from eBay; an invoice, a this-transaction-is-guaranteed-safe-by-eBay and some other crap from eBay customer support.

If you were daft you could send £5,400 to someone via BACS. Sadly there plenty of daft people :Doh:

eBay should spend time closing the holes through which gullible (but innocent) people will loose their money.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thanks for taking the time............

I did the same about 18 months ago - same reason "I'm in Scotland, will deliver free" contacted by email, then phone, then 'Ebay' invoice asking me to forward the money to a bank account in Barcelona:Eeek:

Well done to those still taking the trouble to report back to Ebay, I got fed up and stopped reporting scams after I bought my 'new' van.

Would never buy any expensive item off Ebay without actually seeing the item.

Bought my van after seeing it in an Ebay classified, after seeing it at the sellers home, driving it, checking documents and HPI check - terrific van at a good price
:thumb:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Yup sure enough in came three email from eBay; an invoice, a this-transaction-is-guaranteed-safe-by-eBay and some other crap from eBay customer support.

If you were daft you could send £5,400 to someone via BACS. Sadly there plenty of daft people :Doh:

eBay should spend time closing the holes through which gullible (but innocent) people will loose their money.

Ahhhh......but ..........

The email invoice does not come from eBay.

If it came from eBay.......

You would have a copy of it in "my messages"

Check your messages and you will not find a copy in there.
The bogus invoice comes from the scammer:Smile:

The scam invoice will have his bank details on.......

Post them on here and I am sure the details will be forwarded to the fraud office

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Someone got scammed like this but as a 'second chance offer' - the scammer contacted them after the sale finished and somehow had all their details and all the above arrived in their inbox unasked.

They fell for it to the tune of £3,000 - foolish yes, once again heart overuled common sense and brain.

How do these people get full address and all information out of ebay when it hadn't been given to them by the scammed? Apparently had address, telephone number the works and that just from a bid entered?

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Someone got scammed like this but as a 'second chance offer' - the scammer contacted them after the sale finished and somehow had all their details and all the above arrived in their inbox unasked.

They fell for it to the tune of £3,000 - foolish yes, once again heart overuled common sense and brain.

How do these people get full address and all information out of ebay when it hadn't been given to them by the scammed? Apparently had address, telephone number the works and that just from a bid entered?

Once you reply to them using my messages.........

I think that is when they get your details.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp

Or could be they have connection on the inside?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning all, yes I have seen it this morning , not midnight last night ::bigsmile:
As Lesley says post name and bank details :thumb: we have members who will pass details to relivent people etc,
Terry

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Ahhhh......but ..........

The email invoice does not come from eBay.

If it came from eBay.......

You would have a copy of it in "my messages"

Check your messages and you will not find a copy in there.
The bogus invoice comes from the scammer:Smile:

The scam invoice will have his bank details on.......

Post them on here and I am sure the details will be forwarded to the fraud office

Yeah sorry I should have explained it is easy to create an email address that appears to be from somewhere else. Of course the email was not from ebay it was from ebay-checkout.co.uk@hush.ai.

Ten seconds is all it takes to create an email that looks like it was from the Queen of Sheba or Barack Obama

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Ha Ha - scammers can't get the staff!!!

I just noticed the "invoice" from "ebay" is wrong.

I'm supposed to be buying a VW T5 Transporter

But the invoice is for a Eriba Troll 2006 caravan! :Doh:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Whats worrying is that there is probably people out there that do not read up on forums as this and fall for it.

Why can`t ebay take it on their back and stop people being scammed through their system. -- They charge enough for their service ,why dont they stop it going on.

If i bought a van at a local auction and it was a scam job ,they are responsible and i get my money back.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Link RemovedeBay sent this message to David Xxxxxx (davidtomatohead).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay.

Your invoice for eBay purchases - ERIBA TROLL 530 GT 2006 MODEL RARE & SOUGHT AFTER RETRO STYLE 34 BERTH

Link Removed Invoice for Transaction Case ID 15HB5213F between Sarah Hudson,[FONT=Arial, Verdana] as the Seller and[/FONT] David Xxxxxx,as the Buyer. Please follow our instructions to complete the transaction safely.

Link RemovedSeller:
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Name:Sarah HudsonAddress:21 Stirling Street
Dundee
DD3 6PH
United Kingdom

Link RemovedBuyer:
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Name:David Xxxxxx
Address:143 Eastgate
Louth,
Lincolnshire
LN11 9QE
United Kingdom

Link RemovedTransaction Details:
Link Removed

Case ID:15HB5213FDate:15.02.2013Status:Payment PendingItem titled:ERIBA TROLL 530 GT 2006 MODEL RARE & SOUGHT AFTER RETRO STYLE 34 BERTHBuy It Now Price£5,400.00Quantity Sold:1Insurance:YESDelivery:Delivery details will be provided by seller after payment.Buyer details*:David Xxxxxx
143 Eastgate
Louth,
Lincolnshire
LN11 9QE
United Kingdom

*Please check the details for an accurate delivery in order to avoid delays.

Payment must be submitted via Bank Transfer to the eBay Financing Center Agent Bank account in charge of this transaction. The payment will be secured until the Buyer receives, inspects and accepts the vehicle. Or, if it will be the case a full refund is given to the Buyer.
Link RemovedeBay Financing Center Agent*:Beneficiary:M. Stancu
Bank Name:Barclays
Account no:23025012Sort Code:
20-29-41

City:LondonCountry:
United Kingdom

*Bacs, CHAPS and Faster Payments are accepted.
Link RemovedPayment:Invoice #15HB5213F
Subtotal:£5,400.00
Shipping(Free):£0.00
Deposit:£0.00Total:£5,400.00
Link RemovedHow to make the paymentLink RemovedLink RemovedSend the payment using eBay Financing Center Agent's bank account (found below) as payment details .Link RemovedE-mail us*

the following payment information:

- Case ID or Invoice #
- Copy of the bank receipt
Link RemovedFax* the Bank transfer payment receipt to eBay Financing Center Department at:

[COLOR=#49535A !important][/COLOR]​
+44 (0)207 681 1118
[COLOR=#49535A !important][COLOR=#49535A !important][/COLOR][/COLOR]​

*We strongly recommend that you confirm the payment by both e-mail and fax.
Link RemovedImportant NoticeLink Removed
For security reasons please DO NOT release the payment details to the Seller or any other unauthorized person.

Link RemovedAll the transaction, payment and personal information is considered confidential and will not be released under any circumstances.Link RemovedBuyer Protection program security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given evolving circumstances globally.Link RemovedOur main and constant priority is the safety of our customers.Bank Wire transfers can be submitted with the help of your banking institution. To send a wire transfer, you need to have the following information:

- Beneficiary (person to whom the wire is being sent)
- The receiving bank's Sort Code and name of the bank
- Account number of beneficiary
- Location of the receiving bank.

Link RemovedWhen payment is received, it will be verified and secured into a non-interest bearing trust account. Payment verification process usually takes less than 24 hours. After payment is secured, the Seller is authorized to deliver the vehicle.The Seller has 3 business days to send the Buyer and eBay Customer Support the tracking number of the delivery. If no tracking number is provided, a full refund is immediately sent to the Buyer.
Link RemovedThe Buyer receives the vehicle and has 5 business days to inspect it. If it is complete and as described, the Buyer should accept the vehicle. If he refuses the vehicle delivery is reversed at no additional cost and full refund is given to the Buyer.
Link RemovedAfter the inspection period is over, the Buyer must contact eBay Financing Center Customer Support with the result of the inspection. If the Buyer refuses the vehicle, the refund will be sent to the Buyer after the tracking number for the returned shipment is verified. If the vehicle is accepted, eBay Financing Center Department submits the payment directly to the Seller within 3 business days.
Link RemovedNeed Help?Link RemovedFor any questions please E-mail us.
Thank you,
eBay Financing Center Customer Support
eBay Buyer Protection Program
Link RemovedCopyright © 2013 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy

Last edited:

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sounds like the Constructam caravan i bid for , got sniped in last 4 seconds .
second chance offer came through and caravan had moved from somerset to inverness , guy now had it not wife as originallly , but all the blurb was the same ,i put money into an ebay account , he delivers at my expense and have 3 days to go over it , he picks it up at his expense if not wanted and i get money back from ebay:RollEyes:

Dunc didn't like the set up so we nipped down the road and bought an ABI Transtar

( note to self : sometimes Dunc does know what he is talking about :Blush:)

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
sounds like the Constructam caravan i bid for , got sniped in last 4 seconds .
second chance offer came through and caravan had moved from somerset to inverness , guy now had it not wife as originallly , but all the blurb was the same ,i put money into an ebay account , he delivers at my expense and have 3 days to go over it , he picks it up at his expense if not wanted and i get money back from ebay:RollEyes:

Dunc didn't like the set up so we nipped down the road and bought an ABI Transtar

( note to self : sometimes Dunc does know what he is talking about :Blush:)

Lucky escape :thumb:

Georgeg

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
surrey
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
newbi
ebay scam

unfortunately we paid this person into barclays account £5.400 for car that didn't come now we know why
any tips on contacting:cry:

george

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
SORRY TO HEAR THAT :Sad:--I AM AFRAID YOUR MONEY WILL HAVE GONE :Doh::Angry:
Contact the police giving as much info as you can ie bank details etc.they may do somthing about it because scams have been in papers quite a bit recently -DID YOU USE A CREDIT CARD TO PAY WITH ? YOU MAY HAVE REDRESS WITH CARD CO ?
TERRY
sorry for caps but keyboard playing up :Smile:
edit - it may be worth whoile paying the tenner (not a scam ,but probably the best tenner you will spend on a van ) to become a full member giving full acess and as many questions as you need/want

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
unfortunately we paid this person into barclays account £5.400 for car that didn't come now we know why

george

Always seems to be Barclays:Eeek:

Take the Barclays account details A/C number & sort code to your local Barclays and ask them what they are going to do about it !:Angry:

They will probably do nothing, but if it happened to me I would sue Barclays - they are allowing criminals to use their bank - without the banks these scams could not happen:Angry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

george

You have been scammed I am sorry to say, compare your documentaion with the list on this post, print it all off and then go to police and INSIST they do something about it.

Also contact ebay and BBC watchdog and local paper, even the Daily Mail and Daily Express.

Peter

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

george

A bit more detail would be nice George.

Then we can all learn here from your postings, what or who we should or should not trust from clever internet scammers.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
God these things make me sick..

As you will of seen on my post "selling my van" a mark Michael sent me a text requesting I email him further details of my van to markmichael723@yahoo.com sounds like a genuine text, however, I'm unsure at this point as to why a text requesting an email was sent and not a phone call. I then googled his email address which made me aware of various scams. Instantly I know it's a scam...

However, I had emailed him but using my spam account asking what further info he needs.

He emails back saying all he needs is my bank details and shipping details and he will pay up.

I email back telling him that I hope he dies a slow and painful death and that he is sliced up and left to die. Pretty strong for me but these people are a parasites...

I'm sorry George that you got scammed, I can't believe that people do what you done. I just don't understand why someone will put large amounts of money on to a bank account with out seeing something.

I hope you do get your money back but somehow I doubt you will :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back