Alarming using parking censors (1 Viewer)

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
I read in a post recently of someone using parking censors as another way of providing security around the motorhome, sounds a good idea to me . I see Halfords are offering some at half price. Has anybody done it ?? If so perhaps you can post a reply.:thumb:

Romatone

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Check online, I dismissed a kit a fitter bought at work for his dads BMW as "cheap chinese tat". Whwn the kit turned up TWO DAYS later, it had everything i it, even the bleddy drill to drill the holes. all for £13.99 inc postage, and it works a treat:Eeek:
A couple of them positioned around the van would make a good "spacial" alarm.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It was me that posted on another thread about the parking sensors. My mate set them up in his camper by all the windows and hab door. He did not have a drivers door so none there. From what I remember he had a red LED attached to them, one pointing outside attached to the inside of the window on the hab door side so that if anyone was within 1 metre of the door it started to flash, and they could see it. He had another LED fixed above his bed so it alerted him. He also had some fireworks by the bed that he would toss out the window on the other side of the van if they did not go away.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
What do they protect against?

Casual pedestrians strolling by. Is it against the law to get within a certain distance of a motorhome?

I must be missing something.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Your just missing the fact that some motor homers would like to know if someone is within a meter or so of their van in the middle of the night when it's too Late for social calls!
Could also come in handy if your wild camping in the woods and need a shit,it would let you know if the bears about.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What do they protect against?

Casual pedestrians strolling by. Is it against the law to get within a certain distance of a motorhome?

I must be missing something.

Not many casual pedestrians strolling by on the wildings I use.

Attachments

• Tour of France & Spain with Pat 004.jpg
    Tour of France & Spain with Pat 004.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Tour of France & Spain with Pat 013.jpg
    Tour of France & Spain with Pat 013.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_0320.jpg
    100_0320.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_0322.jpg
    100_0322.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 62
  • summer with the stutvoets 007.jpg
    summer with the stutvoets 007.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 66

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some car alarms have a proximity sensor, which you buy as an add on. This will draw less current and give two perimiters. first one normally gives a short beep at about 5 ft and the second sounds the proximity alarm. usually a constant beep but posh ones have a verbal warning. then if the threat does not move away within a set time it triggers the main alarm. should be asier to set up than parking sensors and LEDs + fireworks and even works when your not there

Mind you, why not just fit the full alarm system. you can even get one that texts your phone if an alarm is triggered when your not near your van. makes more sense to me, and not expensive by comparisson to a lot of items we fit to our vans

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The idea of this is not for when you are away from the van. Any self respecting motorhomer will have an alarm fitted. These are for use when you are in the van and in the middle of the night and want to know if anyone is prowling around outside your van, perhaps trying to nick your bike or worse still trying to force entry.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
but with a proximity alarm system, you can set it whilst using the van and turn indoor sensors off. fit a loop system for bikes/trailers and its all protected by an alarm that takes no further user input than pressing of buttons

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
but with a proximity alarm system, you can set it whilst using the van and turn indoor sensors off. fit a loop system for bikes/trailers and its all protected by an alarm that takes no further user input than pressing of buttons

Of course...but if you already have an alarm fitted and its not compatible with all this new stuff, this system is a cheap fix. If money is no problem then just take the van into some garage and pay them to rip out a perfectly good alarm system and have an all singing all dancing one fitted.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Think its a good idea (without the fireworks) as an addition to an existing alarm without going to the expense of a new alarm system incorporating proximity sensors. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Of course...but if you already have an alarm fitted and its not compatible with all this new stuff, this system is a cheap fix. If money is no problem then just take the van into some garage and pay them to rip out a perfectly good alarm system and have an all singing all dancing one fitted.

absolutely no need to rip out a perfectly good alarm, or use a garage for that matter... the add on kits give either a positive output trigger or a negative which can be wired to work with any alarm system no matter how old. in fact the older ones are easiest as the door and bonnet triggers are a crude negative input. wire this to a proximity kit, and if it triggers, it turns the cab lights on.... simples :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
£35 for the real thing
Link Removed

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Great idea ! - might warn you of foxes aproaching - oops sorry wrong thread !:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
R

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Re Park Censors

Thanks Snow Bird ..I personally think it sounds a good idea, unfortunately some don't agree but I'm not asking ....them.... To fit them. Not sure about the fireworks though, I kinda like the silence of a catapult:ROFLMAO:.

Romatone

OP
OP
R

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Oldun .....parking censors

Thanks for your input Oldun its just something I read on a post. You don't have to have it live all day but I would think it strange to have casual walkers say from 11 pm til early hours,

Romatone

chubadub

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Mansfield area
Funster No
MH
C class + VW t4 Day van
Exp
Ive had parking sensors fitted to my M/home for 3 years now, but they were made redundant due to the dogs letting us know of imcoming from about 10mts :Doh:

OP
OP
R

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Parking sensors .....Romatone

Nice debate , seems to have brought out the best in people.i still in favour them there sort of price it's got to be worth it . But I don't want the ones that get the dogs barking from 10 metres , my dogs would create hell, anyway thanks to all.

Romatone

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
Had Sleeptight fitted to the Hymer about 8 years ago, Great item but very expensive. When I converted the Movano I fitted 8 sensors and LED lights, Got all the parts of eBay, including a remote on/off switch. I fitted two alarms, one internal and one external (the external one can be switched off at night) Used 2X4 sensor kits and operated them through two relays so that front, side and rear sensors can be used together. I have sent wiring diagram to a couple of members after them seeing the system at the shows, If you want a diagram let me know and I'll email one.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Some years ago I read somewhere about a system devised by someone in one of the 'eastern european' countries which involved gas canisters rigged up to flame-thrower type nozzles around the lower perimeter of the van. By all accounts, when triggered, it was very effective ... :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Some years ago I read somewhere about a system devised by someone in one of the 'eastern european' countries which involved gas canisters rigged up to flame-thrower type nozzles around the lower perimeter of the van. By all accounts, when triggered, it was very effective ... :thumb:

I hear a tripwire connected to a couple of 12 bores strategicly placed under the van can be very effective too. Slows would be burglars down sufficiently for us old codgers to catch whilst pulling trousers on.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well why not go the whole hog and get some grenade launchers :ROFLMAO:

Romatone

I suggested that by tossing a thunderflash out of the window, but got laughed down :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back