Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Anybody used DFDS's Immingham to Gothenburg service? Primarily a daily freight service that accepts small numbers of private vehicles with passengers on five sailings per week subject to lots of caveats regarding availability/cancellations/delays and minimum ages etc.

Having used DFDS's Esbjerg to Harwick excellent ferry in 2012, I'd like to explore more of Scandinavia and since the Newcastle services to Norway collapsed, options are now limited.

One-way 26-hour sailing with my outfit/passengers will be £830 which is not too outrageous; probably return overland via Poland/Germany etc.

Any experiences of DFDS's Immingham to Gothenburg service very welcome :)

Thanks, Ian.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have used it many times whilst working with the truck but never with the camper. The boat is mainly used for unaccompanied freight, which means trailers only, so few drivers or passengers. You obviously have a cabin and meals are included and of a very good standard as you eat with the crew. The only downsides are, it can be a rough crossing and they have a habit of testing there fire drill on unsuspecting passengers, getting you up on deck in the middle of the night. The boats are quite basic as they are after all freight boats and nothing like the channel crossing boats. There are no shops on board but they do have a limited duty free shop, which is a proper duty free shop at crew prices. Have a good trip and I hope this is of some help.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ah now, I do believe a friend took his motorbike over on that. Can't have been awful, else I'd remember more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
we did phone them for a price etc. but we would have to sell the house to pay for the X-ing:cry::cry:
Maybe its the size of our m/home that made it sooo expensive----------are you travelling alone ? we got a price for 2 passengers + our camper and (I glazed over while I was on the 'phone) the price I was quoted was well over a Grand:Sad::Sad::Sad: (we think in the £1400 region:cry:)
We think we are going ---Travemunde--Trelleburg--------Germany to Sweden.
Pamala & Nigel

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
yes if your going through then try, Puttgarden to redbyhaven, Regards Alf.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
sorry should of read Rodby not Redby, anyway checked for you and if you go puttgarden (D) to Rodby (S) 6mtr X 2Mtr high, 2 passengers its 67euro one way, thats Direct ferries (scanlines) 45mins crossing, again hope it helps you, Regards Alf.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi all, I have just got a price from DFDS website for 2 people travelling with a MH one way in June of £304.00 for a MH under 7 metres long and under 2.35 high. For a larger MH at under 4.35 high and under 10 metres long its £319.00. This includes a inside cabin for 2 which is compulsory.
It does not include meals but there a plug in the cabins to plug a travel kettle in and brew up and take sandwiches from your camper as meals are expensive. They can make you have a cabin but they cant make you eat.
I worked it out some time ago that paying the Dover-Dunkirk ferry and fuel from Dunkirk I would be much cheaper with the Gothenburg boat.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Ferry Fare

Hi we are going end of April-
I have booked Hull to Zeebrouge with Caravan Club was about £340 with 7 camping cheques included in price

Then we are driving to Germany and getting the ferry from Travenmunde to Malmo.
The ferry line we are using is Finnlines- if you take the morning crossing 10am you do not need a cabin it arrives at 7pm so 9 hr crossing.
If you have a Scandanavian Camping Card which you need to use a campsite any way you get 25% discount.
So for 2 Adults and a 7metre van our fare is £90 euro you have to book in advance but you can ammend free up to 10 days before.
We used Finnlines last year from Travenmunde to Helsinki really nice boat, they give you elec hook up free on the crossing.
Hope this helps
Sue

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi we are going end of April-
I have booked Hull to Zeebrouge with Caravan Club was about £340 with 7 camping cheques included in price

Then we are driving to Germany and getting the ferry from Travenmunde to Malmo.
The ferry line we are using is Finnlines- if you take the morning crossing 10am you do not need a cabin it arrives at 7pm so 9 hr crossing.
If you have a Scandanavian Camping Card which you need to use a campsite any way you get 25% discount.
So for 2 Adults and a 7metre van our fare is £90 euro you have to book in advance but you can ammend free up to 10 days before.
We used Finnlines last year from Travenmunde to Helsinki really nice boat, they give you elec hook up free on the crossing.
Hope this helps
Sue

Hi
I think that card is now called ' camping key Europe' I just went on their web-site----------it says they get discounts on ferrys and BRIDGES-------I need to trawl through the Denmark to Sweden bridge web-site and see if we can get a discount on there:thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
G

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Thanks for all the replies.

Being based in northern England, Immingham is attractive as on last year's Calais-Esbjerg tour almost half the road miles covered where in getting to/from the channel ports!

Broken Link Removed

A direct ferry means getting to a holiday start point quickly and straight into relaxation mode :)

Thanks 'Snowbird', comments particularly useful.

Cheers all.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for all the replies.

Being based in northern England, Immingham is attractive as on last year's Calais-Esbjerg tour almost half the road miles covered where in getting to/from the channel ports!

Broken Link Removed

A direct ferry means getting to a holiday start point quickly and straight into relaxation mode :)

Thanks 'Snowbird', comments particularly useful.

Cheers all.

Sorry about the confusion, its an age thing :Doh:. Its NOT the Gotenburg ferry I gave a price on, its the Esbjerg. I have used the Gotenburg ferry in the past but am now aware that it no longer runs.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Just worked out some prices on this one too for our vehicle which we added an extra 2 metres on the length and 2 passengers- for a return trip without cabin on the dates we want is €247.40. Link Removed
this is from Travenmunde to Malmo.

Getting better.

Nigel and Pamala

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
BETTER STILL

€230.00 return with TT Lines Travenmunde to Trelleborg - Broken Link Removed

Sorry links not working.

Nigel and Pamala

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Discount fares

Just worked out some prices on this one too for our vehicle which we added an extra 2 metres on the length and 2 passengers- for a return trip without cabin on the dates we want is €247.40. Link Removed
this is from Travenmunde to Malmo.

Getting better.

Nigel and Pamala

Hi Did you see thelink I posted for 25% discount with Finnlines I got a quote off them of £90 euro single, you get 20% off your return fare if booking a return trip, but would be cheaper to book 2 singles, you can ammend free up to 10 days before your booking

Link Removed

See the website here

Sue:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have had to consult my old diaries regarding this route and it seems the last time I went overland to North Norway was the cheapest. Dover-Dunkirk ferry. Putgarden-Rodby ferry which was no need to book in advance, just roll up and pay. Havenso bridge then Malmo bridge, pay for both together at havnso which gives a discount. I have a feeling that if you use the Putgarden ferry you can pay for the bridges with the ferry and get a discount. Transit Sweden to take advantage of cheaper fuel and provisions. Cross over into Norway at Narvik and then buy nothing until returning to Sweden. There is no problem wilding in Sweden or Norway, so campsite fees are not a problem.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Have had to consult my old diaries regarding this route and it seems the last time I went overland to North Norway was the cheapest. Dover-Dunkirk ferry. Putgarden-Rodby ferry which was no need to book in advance, just roll up and pay. Havenso bridge then Malmo bridge, pay for both together at havnso which gives a discount. I have a feeling that if you use the Putgarden ferry you can pay for the bridges with the ferry and get a discount. Transit Sweden to take advantage of cheaper fuel and provisions. Cross over into Norway at Narvik and then buy nothing until returning to Sweden. There is no problem wilding in Sweden or Norway, so campsite fees are not a problem.

we can't see the point in x-ing from Germany to Denmark-(unless you want to visit Denmark)-----then having to cross (an expensive) bridge/ferry into Sweden-------when you can do a similar X-ing from Germany directly into Sweden::bigsmile:
Nigel & Pamala

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The reason all the Dutch and Germans who are the most prolific visitors to Norway/Sweden use this route is because it has always been the cheapest in terms of fuel/ferry/bridge tolls. I must admit I don't know why, it just is. Maybe Paul can explain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back