Hello All! - Selling advice welcome (1 Viewer)

damienvanr

Free Member
Jul 2, 2012
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Starting 2013
Hi Everyone.

My girlfriend and I are two Aussies planning a euro road trip for three months to complete our 2 year stint here in the UK before heading home. We're hoping to buy something that can comfortably accomodate the two of us for those three months, preferably around the £5k mark. We're planning on covering off France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece stopping off at a lot of motorhome stopovers as well as some camping sites.

Before we buy however, the biggest question we have is how we will go about selling the motorhome when we're finished with it, likely to be in Italy or Greece. I guess we want some confidence that we will be able to get a significant portion of our money back when selling. We won't have a lot of time to sell privately so we are pretty much resigned to have to sell to a dealer for a lower price. I'm not so certain about the legalities of selling a UK vehicle overseas either. So many questions!!!

If anyone has suggestions or helpful advice on how to go about this it would be much appreciated. We're looking to buy in the next 3 months or before leaving late May.

Cheers.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Selling

Am sure there are several dealers for backpackers in Earls Court London. Would find on Internet I am sure. Not sure if they do buy back but must be a system similar as used by lots of backpackers:Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You will have dificulty in selling basically a UK cheapie outside the UK unless you can find somene who wants one there. I doubt if any foreigb dealer would touch it,

£5k wont get you a lot, the backpackers buy back scheme will require you to bring it back to the UK

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Peter - quite right I dud nit read clearly enough !! Would need to bring back to UK unless they found another backpacker starting their tour south and gearing back to UK !!

OP
OP
D

damienvanr

Free Member
Jul 2, 2012
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Starting 2013
Cheers for your responses.

I've done a bit more research into selling vehicles in Italy and Greece and it seems the red tape, required documentation and fees are too prohibitive to buyers in those countries. Hence the price that you can sell for is significantly reduced.

We've ended up adjusting our planned travel route so we return to the UK. We'll then sell up before returning to oz.

For those interested there are some useful links below regarding 'importing' vehicles in Greece and Italy:

Broken Link Removed

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The easiest thing would be to buy in Germany where older vans are generally cheaper, then do you European tour and finish up in the UK to sell. With luck you should get your money back and just maybe little profit. Doing it this way you do not have the expense of getting a van to mainland Europe.

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
The easiest thing would be to buy in Germany where older vans are generally cheaper, then do you European tour and finish up in the UK to sell. With luck you should get your money back and just maybe little profit. Doing it this way you do not have the expense of getting a van to mainland Europe.

Won't that create time consuming red tape in importation duties, registration, MOT etc? The cost of getting a van to Europe in the first place will be pretty low anyway.

Isn't there a street in London where lots of vans are offered for sale (on a Sunday?) which offer a quick and fairly simple way of acquiring and disposing of vans quickly?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Won't that create time consuming red tape in importation duties, registration, MOT etc? The cost of getting a van to Europe in the first place will be pretty low anyway.

Isn't there a street in London where lots of vans are offered for sale (on a Sunday?) which offer a quick and fairly simple way of acquiring and disposing of vans quickly?

Well if you think 48 hours is time consuming registering an import from the rest of the EU, I suppose your right. If on the other hand you think it would be easier to sell a right hand drive vehicle in Greece in 48 hours then of course that's the way to go.

The street in London is in Christal Palace, unfortunately the dealers left some years ago, and even if they had not I would not advise anyone to buy a camper off the street today, especially for a trip round Europe.

OP
OP
D

damienvanr

Free Member
Jul 2, 2012
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Starting 2013
I've come to the conclusion that I will need to sell in the same country as I buy to keep it simple. The UK will be the best place for that (language barrier, inspection checks etc.)

I thought the 'unofficial' campervan buy/sell location was Market Road, Islington? At least that's what Google says. I had ruled this out anyways as we'd hoped to travel a bit more sophisticated than the basic camper and would want some assurances that the vehicle was mechanically sound.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
There is a dealer on EBay, sells vans to Australians, N.Zers and buys them back. Worth scanning through Motorhomes for sale on EBay.

pollensabob

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 years
You can as Oz nationals ship a motor caravan back to Oz at a very reasonable cost contact Shaun at Eurocaravancompany.Com. Caravans and MHs fetch good prices over there.

Bob :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back