Fiat Ducato Fuse Issue (3 Viewers)

Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Hi all. Wonder if anyone can help me with some advice on tracing an electrical fault on a Sea Dinghy 2003 on a Fiat Ducato Base (1.9JTD). I recently fitted a reversing camera through splicing into the feed from the cigar lighter. Everything was working fine till the other day when I notice the wiring had dropped into view I had not noticed that the there was some copper protruding from the join and made contact with the live causing a fuse. I checked fuse the 15amp fuse marked 44 in schematic and it was not blown (I did replace it anyway). I note now that cigar lighter, 12v aux socket and heater are also not working so the question is what other fuse could have blown in the process?
Many Thanks Nev

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its not uncommon for fuses to be marked incorrectly in a handbook. Try testing or replacing the other fuses of the right value, as its likely one is blown

OP
OP
G
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Thanks Big 1 - I tried that no avail. I starting to think that because its not only the cigar lighter but other functions that it might be a bigger fuse in the engine compartment.
Nev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i think there are 2 fuse boxes one in the cab near the steering wheel, the other under the bonnet. mine has the cigar lighter and the aux power fuses wrongly marked.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I doubt very much the fuse will be in the engine bay...any fuses in there are usually reserved for engine bay componants...ABS module etc.

you need to remove each 'cab' fuse in turn and check with an OHM / continuity meter and not just a visual check...fuses can blow right at the end where the break cant always be seen

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I doubt very much the fuse will be in the engine bay...any fuses in there are usually reserved for engine bay componants...ABS module etc.

you need to remove each 'cab' fuse in turn and check with an OHM / continuity meter and not just a visual check...fuses can blow right at the end where the break cant always be seen

generally that is correct, except my fuses for the cigar lighter and the Aux power on dash is in the engine bay. Fiat Ducato x250 i had to find them as i had blown one useing a tyre inflator:Doh:

OP
OP
G
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
Thanks so much for replies -perhaps someone could explain to me how shorting the lead I spliced from the cigar lighter to the reversing camera has put cigar lighter , 12v socket and heater out of action (could be more) whilst radio , lights and indicators still work!
Regards

Nev

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks so much for replies -perhaps someone could explain to me how shorting the lead I spliced from the cigar lighter to the reversing camera has put cigar lighter , 12v socket and heater out of action (could be more) whilst radio , lights and indicators still work!
Regards

Nev

generally auxiliary circuits are separated from main lighting
and indicators, which will also be fused seperately:thumb:

OP
OP
G
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
What I cannot get my head around is that I thought I had fused the cigar lighter and found it is still intact but other functions are not working -is it possible that these services are fed off a larger fuse that has blown. Just cant understand why 15amp cigar fue fuse is still intact:whatthe: Does anyone know what the 12v outlet would be referred to in the fuse descriptions?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The fuse is 15 amp ? !

Seems a tad OTT to say the least for a standard cigar socket.

I think you will find the standard one, in the fuse panel, is also 15amp... If that is the case then of course either one could blow

What other functions are not working ?
Perhaps one of those functions are pictured on the fuse panel ?

OP
OP
G
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
The fuse is 15 amp ? !

Seems a tad OTT to say the least for a standard cigar socket.

I think you will find the standard one, in the fuse panel, is also 15amp... If that is the case then of course either one could blow

What other functions are not working ?
Perhaps one of those functions are pictured on the fuse panel ?

As well as cigar lighter and 12v output socket the heater is not working. Tracing the red wire (where I spliced rear view cameras) into the engine compartment it appears to go into blade fuse. Is it possible this could have blown?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
easiest way is to change the fuse for a good one and see if the problem is solved

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:thumb: HI THERE I HAD A FUSE PROBLEM THE SAME AS YOU, CHECKED ALL FUSES IT WAS FUSE NO F31 PASSENGER SIDE FUSEBOX CHANGED IT AND EVERY THING WORKED OK AFTER HOPE THIS HELPS :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As well as cigar lighter and 12v output socket the heater is not working. Tracing the red wire (where I spliced rear view cameras) into the engine compartment it appears to go into blade fuse. Is it possible this could have blown?

Absolutely ... Especially if it is a lower value than 15 amps

OP
OP
G
Jul 6, 2012
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just One Year
:thumb: HI THERE I HAD A FUSE PROBLEM THE SAME AS YOU, CHECKED ALL FUSES IT WAS FUSE NO F31 PASSENGER SIDE FUSEBOX CHANGED IT AND EVERY THING WORKED OK AFTER HOPE THIS HELPS :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I am absolutely gobsmacked and in total awe of the remote diagnostic capability of Petrol Tin Glyn. He has successfully diagnosed which fuse had blown out of 4 fuse boxes from my simple description. It was indeed F31 the Ignition Commuter.
If you are in Shrewsbury at any point I will buy you a pint of real ale in the Admiral Benbow!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back