LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have just bought a Kipor and was thinking of fixing it in the MH garage as a permanent fixture with an extension on the silencer going to the outside. This is mainly for security reasons but with a little ingenuity I think it will also quieten it down a little. Have any funsters tried doing this before, and can you see any problems with this.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We used our generator in the boot of the 608, no probs :thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hope you're not planning to be ensconced in the van when the Kippor is running Dave? You'll need new dentures. Best bet is a long extension cable approx 100mts:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as long as its fixed down (they do 'walk' slightly on hard surfaces) and the exhaust extension isnt to long then it should work.
a long or restrictive extension may alter the exhaust back pressure so go for a slightly larger diameter tube.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
youll need to mount it securely on anti vibration pads... and not sure what level of noise youll get inside the van.

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
Kipor inside

if you find the tico pads to expensive,im going to chester rally if you remind me before the rally i will fetch some for you f.o c enough to make 4 pads:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had thought of converting the gas locker to put it in and put vented grills on the door. I have an LPG tank so the gas locker could be utilised. Then I thought that the garage would be a better place as it opens on both sides, I could fix the genny to the floor on the side I seldom use and run the silencer through the floor. To save wiring it in permanently I would fix an external blue socket to the underside skirt with the other end plugged into the genny. Then just run a short lead to my electric hookup plug. Maybe just a wooden tray with rubber in the bottom would stop it walking around the garage.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have been thinking of doing something similar but the heat and noise generated are my main concerns.
granted the gas locker would probably be better suited but it would probably be better if you had an electric start model then you could build a proper silenced cabinet for it.

if you had a spare side locker that could have the floor taken out and a open frame to hold the generator that would be better still then probably use some fireproof kingspan insulation to line the locker to make it quieter.

the exhaust system you link to looks like one for the webasto / eberspacher diesel heaters though should work with a generator.

mind if heat is going to be a problem fitting a mains extractor fan would solve that issue and it would only run when the generator was running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not sure about gas lockers on modern motorhomes, but the gas locker on my van is completely sealed from the habitation area with drop holes to the outside. I don't really want to lose the 2 gas bottles I have in there as they are useful when LPG is not available.
Am thinking more along the lines of a soundproof box in the garage with perhaps 12 volt computer fans wired to the 12 volt plug on the genny. We have loads of old computer fans about. Have had electric start Onan generators on RVs and know what a racket they make both inside and outside the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back