Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Morning all, I want to take a laptop away with us when we head for the Highlands.I understand i can use a "Dongle" if there is no Wifi available .Can anybody advise on where to buy,networks and most of all how they work.Many thanks.:Blush:

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
i got mine from carphone warehouse, check online to see which network will give you the best coverage for where you're going. stick it in your laptop usb port and follow the instructions that pop up.easy peasy ::bigsmile:

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Morning all, I want to take a laptop away with us when we head for the Highlands.I understand i can use a "Dongle" if there is no Wifi available .Can anybody advise on where to buy,networks and most of all how they work.Many thanks.:Blush:

Rather than buy a dongle why don't you just tether your mobile phone to your laptop and you get the same result, supposing of course you have free data on your phone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Rather than buy a dongle why don't you just tether your mobile phone to your laptop and you get the same result, supposing of course you have free data on your phone.
good idea if your network allows you to do this for free

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you only want to use one device (e.g. laptop) then a USB attached dongle (or phone) will be fine. If you want to use a number of devices or a tablet which doesn't have a USB connection then you probably need a MiFi/Mobile WiFi device.

The web sites of the various mobile companies have coverage maps showing signal strength in different areas.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Do remember that campsites are often remote and have very poor or no mobile phone signal. Though a dongle is very useful there is no guarantee that it will work on site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Not sure that all providers allow the use of tethering!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back